Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 PM

603 posts, read 946,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But wait.....now what about rattlesnakes? How often are they around? I like to go hiking and don't want to see any or get attacked by any. How much of a risk is this?

Also, Phoenix and Arizona in general is a big brown desert, right? I mean, I think it's beautiful, but does that get depressing, to see brown all the time and no forest? Sorry if that sounds weird, but where I'm from, it's 100% forested and green. Kind of like you're driving between a wall of trees. How do Northeastern transplants cope with this change?
I've hiked a LOT out here and I've seen just 1 rattlesnake. The other rattlesnake I've seen in the wild was while I was hiking in Kentucky, so your chances of seeing them out here are not all that much greater.
If you don't want to see a rattlesnake while hiking, just stick to the popular hiking trails and you'll probably never see one. The risk of being attacked by a rattlesnake is directly proportional to how stupid you act while hiking.

I did go through some "green withdrawal" after moving here. A drive north to Sedona or beyond solves that pretty easily.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,509 times
Go for it! I know I commented a bit earlier on in this threat, but my tune hasn't changed. The worst that can happen is that you move back after a few months. Think of the positives, you were able to miss the winter months back home! For my story though, I essentially came out here with no job, and probably considerably less than anyone has moved with. I moved from the Chicago area. I was "hooked" up, lined up with a job from a tech recruiter. I was all ready and good to go, gave my two weeks from the previous position and left in January. When I had got here, I filled out all the official paperwork, passed the drug and background test and then waited. This was a government/military associated hospital in the Phoenix area. I passed everything with flying colors. Unfortunately for me though, I was made aware two weeks later that the hiring manager was never told about a "hiring freeze." I was pretty devastated to say the least. I had less than $2k to my name. I then went off to another interview with the same recruiting firm, and got a 3-month contract to hire. I did the same process as the previous job, and then was informed that it went from that to a two week contract. I hit a new low at this point, but I continued on. The third place finally, with a different tech firm mind you finally went through. It was a "real" contract to hire job. I spent about three months there, and unfortunately had to head home for awhile to take care of a sick family member. But, I ended up coming back a month or so later and got hired on to a FT position. It pays no where near what I would get back home, and frankly pays less than the bottom 10% for my field in this area. However, I am thankful I have a job, and even more thankful it's a FT one with benefits. I know this was a lot, and probably a boring as hell story, but I wanted to make a point was all. I made it work, and tried to stay as positive throughout the process as possible. If I can suggest one thing, it would be to come out with a far great amount than I did. This way, you can spend some time really putting forth a good effort on a decent paying job. You won't be inclined to take the first one you are offered, and then losing sight of potentially a greater one. I don't know if I will stay here long term, as the big 4 Texas cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin) have far better opportunities for my field (IT). However, if the stars aligned better for me and my field didn't pay like crap, I would be more than happy to stay here. Phoenix is centrally located for California, Vegas, Albuquerque, etc... That is another attractive factor as well.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Can't believe this thread is 15 pages. The OP is looking at every excuse to not move here. At this point either move here or not there doesn't seem anything anyone can say that does t bring up something else.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Can't believe this thread is 15 pages. The OP is looking at every excuse to not move here. At this point either move here or not there doesn't seem anything anyone can say that does t bring up something else.
Well you know, it's just that natural feeling of having last minute doubts, with any major decision in life, especially when it means quitting your job with no job lined up, and being wicked far from family!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Quote:
Well you know, it's just that natural feeling of having last minute doubts, with any major decision in life, especially when it means quitting your job with no job lined up, and being wicked far from family!
So coming up with every excuse is he result. I guarantee if you move here you will hate it especially since you really don't want to move here or you would just do it .

Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM

299 posts, read 666,973 times
Quote:
The worst thing you can do is move to a new city with no job. No matter how much you have in a savings account or investments, being without work is miserable. I should know because I was between jobs the last year I lived in Phoenix. Honestly, being employed gives a person a sense of pride. It means you're productive, making a steady income, paying bills on time, saving for retirement, paying your share of taxes, contributing to the success of the business and to society. Just from personal experience I don't recommend moving anywhere without having employment lined up- but I empathise with you that it can be tough to find work in a new location from out of state.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM

Well I don't want people to blow things out of proportion. I am still very much interested in the idea of moving there. With that said....I had one other question...

I noticed that a lot of people in this forum refer to highways as "freeways." And they also call numbered routes, "the 101." Now to me, that's just different/weird. I mean, can't I just say "101?" Like as in "take 101 to get to destination whatever." Or, "take the highway." Does everyone down there talk like that? I'm only familiar with words like highway, parkway, expressway and turnpike. There are NO freeways here in New England.

Also, I discussed my potential plans to move there with my mother a few nights ago. I was surprised that she supports me, even with having no job. She told me not to stress out about it and just follow my heart lol, as long as I don't completely deplete my savings. I told her that I'd aim to have $20,000 remaining, after I make the move and secure a job, which means I have $6,000 to play with. I then promised her that I'd visit about 3 times per year and stay at her house for a few days, each time. Sigh...I don't know.....

Last edited by nep321; 10-10-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Well I don't want people to blow things out of proportion. I am still very much interested in the idea of moving there. With that said....I had one other question...

I noticed that a lot of people in this forum refer to highways as "freeways." And they also call numbered routes, "the 101." Now to me, that's just different/weird. I mean, can't I just say "101?" Like as in "take 101 to get to destination whatever." Or, "take the highway." Does everyone down there talk like that? I'm only familiar with words like highway, parkway, expressway and turnpike. There are NO freeways here in New England.
It's just a Western Thing, Nep . . . Interstates and Major Highways are frequently referred to as Freeways.

No one is going to "boil you in oil" for calling a Freeway an Interstate or referring to "The 101" as just 101.

It's been a few years since I last visited New England but I definitely remember some very unique accents and some strange pet names for many basic things.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
It's just a Western Thing, Nep . . . Interstates and Major Highways are frequently referred to as Freeways.

No one is going to "boil you in oil" for calling a Freeway an Interstate or referring to "The 101" as just 101.

It's been a few years since I last visited New England but I definitely remember some very unique accents and some strange pet names for many basic things.
Lol I'm sure you did. Like, most of the country pronounces the word aunt as "ant." But New Englanders pronounce it as "ont." And we use the word "wicked" often, as in, "it's wicked hot outside." Another one is what to call a subway sandwich. We call them "grinders" lol.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,680 times
Quote:
But wait.....now what about rattlesnakes? How often are they around? I like to go hiking and don't want to see any or get attacked by any. How much of a risk is this?
I work on a golf course and I see at least a couple dozen rattlesnakes every summer. They blend into the desert so well, there's probably twice as many that I don't see. I just leave them alone and have never had a problem. There's also Gila Monsters, Killer Bees, Scorpions, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, and Javelinas. But the only thing I'm afraid of are the Jumping Chollas.

Here's a good link for you to look at. I think you need to learn more about the Sonoran Desert. Most people have a lot of misconceptions before they move here. If you do move, it will be one of the greatest adventures of your life.

Sonoran Desert - Sonoran Desert Region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area