Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,979,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
The biggest church influence here always seems to be Mormon. Arizona has a very large Mormon population, right up there with the other mountain states. They are not the most predominant religion here, but are definitely the most vocal in day to day issues, it seems.

Politically, Arizona is a bit of a strange beast. In practice, the people here seem almost libertarian. They don't really care who you are or what you do as long as they're not harmed by it. Very much a live and let live type place, especially outside of the Phoenix area.

Phoenix, on the other hand, is a republican stronghold compared to the rest of the state. This is made even more complex by everyone who moves here, each carrying their own political views. As Phoenix dominates state elections, we always seem to end up with these far, FAR right wing politicians who try to take away state employee benefits for same sex partners, and make it okay for employers to deny insurance coverage of birth control.

As far as orientation is concerned, I've never been given any problems. It seems really rare that someone does have an issue, here. Arizona IS one of the states where you can be discriminated against based on orientation. LGBT workers have no workplace protection in the state of Arizona. Something to keep in mind, though. In practice, I've never seen or heard of this happening.
So are you trying to steer me away from moving to AZ? I really don't want to live in an anti-gay environment, if that's how it really is. I want to be able to feel 100% comfortable with who I am to myself and my friends and even some co-workers. I still really want to move there.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So are you trying to steer me away from moving to AZ? I really don't want to live in an anti-gay environment, if that's how it really is. I want to be able to feel 100% comfortable with who I am to myself and my friends and even some co-workers. I still really want to move there.
Don't let the negative ones & the naysayers influence you. The Phoenix area has a pretty large & openly gay population. I live in east Phoenix in the Camelback East area, and there are many openly gay people around here. In fact, there are times when I feel like I'm one of the few straight guys in my area. The more urban, established, and upscale areas tend to have the highest concentration of gays from what I noticed.

Also, the fact that Arizona tends to be a red state shouldn't be an issue at all. For the most part, Arizona is not homophobic, racist, etc. This is the southwest ... not the deep south. There is a definite conservative lean in much of Arizona, but it's not conservative on social issues all that much. The Phoenix area tends to be more moderate and still somewhat Libertarian in many aspects. There are even some heavily liberal/Democrat pockets in the Phoenix metro area ... some of those areas are less desirable than others, however.

I think you'll be fine moving to Phoenix as far as the tolerance issue is concerned. Personally, I don't know anybody who is anti gay, or anti anybody for that matter. It's pretty diverse, and live/let live around here. I truly believe that the homophobic matter is a non issue for you. I'd be much more concerned about moving here without a job offer or a steady income ... that's the most important thing!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Don't let the negative ones & the naysayers influence you. The Phoenix area has a pretty large & openly gay population. I live in east Phoenix in the Camelback East area, and there are many openly gay people around here. In fact, there are times when I feel like I'm one of the few straight guys in my area. The more urban, established, and upscale areas tend to have the highest concentration of gays from what I noticed.

Also, the fact that Arizona tends to be a red state shouldn't be an issue at all. For the most part, Arizona is not homophobic, racist, etc. This is the southwest ... not the deep south. There is a definite conservative lean in much of Arizona, but it's not conservative on social issues all that much. The Phoenix area tends to be more moderate and still somewhat Libertarian in many aspects. There are even some heavily liberal/Democrat pockets in the Phoenix metro area ... some of those areas are less desirable than others, however.

I think you'll be fine moving to Phoenix as far as the tolerance issue is concerned. Personally, I don't know anybody who is anti gay, or anti anybody for that matter. It's pretty diverse, and live/let live around here. I truly believe that the homophobic matter is a non issue for you. I'd be much more concerned about moving here without a job offer or a steady income ... that's the most important thing!
Okay, that's good to know (I'm assuming you're a native). Sounds like I can just enjoy and live my life for who I am. Well I am still going to take the risk and move there with no job. Like I said, employers won't even talk to me, seeing that I have a CT address. It will be a high risk move, yes, but I am optimistic that things will work out. I will have $26,000 cash and if worse comes to worse, I could tap into my $13,000 of stocks that I could sell. I also have a $1,000 line of credit lol. If I can secure a job and still have at least $20,000 left in the bank, I'll be very happy.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,261,588 times
Moving on a whim like this is like getting a tattoo. Many people say you should hang the picture of the tattoo you want on a wall and look at it every day. If you still like it after a year, go ahead and get the tattoo. If you grow tired of the image, you'll be happy you didn't get it permanently inked onto your skin.

I'd do this with your move. You seem to be very hesitant about it. If I were you, although it may not be what you want to do, I'd wait a year. Think about your move every day, and perhaps schedule a visit so you can get a better feel of the area. After a year passes with lots of thinking and such, you'll have a much, much better idea if you want to move or not.

A spur of the moment move like this, especially with all your concerns, just doesn't seem smart....though this is only my opinion. Sure, you moved to NYC on a spur of the moment, but you live in CT and NYC is not far at all. This is Phoenix, AZ we're talking about....across the United States from CT. I think you need more thinking and more planning before making the leap and turning your life upside down with all the uncertainty you have.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Moving on a whim like this is like getting a tattoo. Many people say you should hang the picture of the tattoo you want on a wall and look at it every day. If you still like it after a year, go ahead and get the tattoo. If you grow tired of the image, you'll be happy you didn't get it permanently inked onto your skin.

I'd do this with your move. You seem to be very hesitant about it. If I were you, although it may not be what you want to do, I'd wait a year. Think about your move every day, and perhaps schedule a visit so you can get a better feel of the area. After a year passes with lots of thinking and such, you'll have a much, much better idea if you want to move or not.

A spur of the moment move like this, especially with all your concerns, just doesn't seem smart....though this is only my opinion. Sure, you moved to NYC on a spur of the moment, but you live in CT and NYC is not far at all. This is Phoenix, AZ we're talking about....across the United States from CT. I think you need more thinking and more planning before making the leap and turning your life upside down with all the uncertainty you have.

Just my opinion.
I know what you mean. The problem is though, I'm at the point where I can't stand living here another month or two. I have been contemplating a big move for the past 4 years and can't afford to wait any longer. I'm at a point where I'm on month-to-month renting at a high premium, no debt, and anxious to quit my job. I can't even fathom the idea of continuing to live here for much longer. Five years ago, I wanted to move to AZ. Since then, I have explored many other places, but they ultimately ended up not being ideal for me. I wanted a place thats affordable, warm, has ample gay population, and is not southern or humid.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM

606 posts, read 1,607,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I know what you mean. The problem is though, I'm at the point where I can't stand living here another month or two. I have been contemplating a big move for the past 4 years and can't afford to wait any longer. I'm at a point where I'm on month-to-month renting at a high premium, no debt, and anxious to quit my job. I can't even fathom the idea of continuing to live here for much longer. Five years ago, I wanted to move to AZ. Since then, I have explored many other places, but they ultimately ended up not being ideal for me. I wanted a place thats affordable, warm, has ample gay population, and is not southern or humid.
You never thought about Los Angeles or some of the other California cities? Sounds like it would have everything your looking for and more than Phoenix: Better weather, more open to gays, more liberal in general, etc... It is more costly to live there, but with 26k in the bank and a masters degree, I would be either in LA or NYC personally! And I'm not even gay LOL

Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
You never thought about Los Angeles or some of the other California cities? Sounds like it would have everything your looking for and more than Phoenix: Better weather, more open to gays, more liberal in general, etc... It is more costly to live there, but with 26k in the bank and a masters degree, I would be either in LA or NYC personally! And I'm not even gay LOL
Oh I'm 100% certain I wouldn't even consider LA or anywhere in CA for that matter. It's simply way too expensive. I already lived in NYC and it was WAY too expensive! I want cheap, quality living.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,208 times
You have more in your bank and more money at your disposal than we did when we came out here, we made it fine. We had some things lined up; but at a fraction at what we were making. But, we were so miserable where we were, we had to make a change. We have family out here, which was a big influence. There's a temp agency that can get you a permanent job that's for Accounting only; I probably am not allowed to put the Co. name or link up but google search and you'll probably find it. If I were you, well it sounds like in your heart you want out of there and here ASAP. With that money, I'd probably try for it. You could stay at a temp apartment until you get a job and can get a good rental house. Plan for every scenario should something happen.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM

2,292 posts, read 3,092,503 times
It sounds like you have plenty to live on for a while if need be. You'll actually have a luxury that most people don't have when they don't have a job and that's money in the bank! If you feel confident you can make it for 6 months or more on that then you should have little problem finding a job in that time. The job market is picking up right now and has been for the past 6 months or so. If you are going to make the leap, now would be a good time.

Also, any concerns about people being intolerant here should be non-existent. People here are very accepting for the most part. Far more so than what you'll find anywhere out east, in the south, or in the Midwest.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
It sounds like you have plenty to live on for a while if need be. You'll actually have a luxury that most people don't have when they don't have a job and that's money in the bank! If you feel confident you can make it for 6 months or more on that then you should have little problem finding a job in that time. The job market is picking up right now and has been for the past 6 months or so. If you are going to make the leap, now would be a good time.

Also, any concerns about people being intolerant here should be non-existent. People here are very accepting for the most part. Far more so than what you'll find anywhere out east, in the south, or in the Midwest.
Thanks. Yeah, I feel comfortable about it now. I'm not going to worry about tolerance. I recognize that no city is perfect. But Phoenix seems to offer most of what I want: affordable, quality housing, warm weather, and a decent sized population, with plenty of outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area