Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:30 PM

216 posts, read 606,982 times

Advertisements

It seems like you're grasping for reasons to not move. "What about the scorpions?" "I'll have to spend money to visit family!" "I can't move until I vote in the Presidential election!" -- these all sound like horrible excuses. Maybe I'm not paranoid enough, close enough to my family, and involved enough in politics. I dunno.

Plenty of people live with the scorpions, flights from PHX to CT can be had for a couple hundred bucks max round trip, and Connecticut is only seven electoral votes.

I'm moving with job prospects but nothing lined up, from Virginia. I've got a significantly lower savings than you're discussing... but what's the worst that can happen? I work a job at Best Buy or something until I find something better, or I fly back to Virginia and resume my previous life. Sometimes you've gotta just jump in and see if you're happy.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,758,018 times
GO FOR IT, Nep . . .

Sounds like you've been serious and conservative long enough . . . you'll never know what's on the "other side" unless you take the plunge. This could be the perfect time and snoozing now may lead to many regrets in the future.

However, I would take a few conservative steps like saving on moving expenses by only shipping, or possibly bringing with you in a U-Haul (large trailer or truck towing your vehicle), your favorite stuff and selling off the easily replaced.

Your "nest egg" sounds like a large amount but if you are out of work for a few months, it may disappear at a faster rate than you planned so cut corners as much as possible until you find work.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,996,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X View Post
It seems like you're grasping for reasons to not move. "What about the scorpions?" "I'll have to spend money to visit family!" "I can't move until I vote in the Presidential election!" -- these all sound like horrible excuses. Maybe I'm not paranoid enough, close enough to my family, and involved enough in politics. I dunno.

Plenty of people live with the scorpions, flights from PHX to CT can be had for a couple hundred bucks max round trip, and Connecticut is only seven electoral votes.

I'm moving with job prospects but nothing lined up, from Virginia. I've got a significantly lower savings than you're discussing... but what's the worst that can happen? I work a job at Best Buy or something until I find something better, or I fly back to Virginia and resume my previous life. Sometimes you've gotta just jump in and see if you're happy.
True, CT is only 7 electoral votes, and it's likely that Obama will win the state, regardless. But still, I like to vote because it makes me feel like I was part of the electoral process. I can wait until mid November to make the move, if I have to. Besides, it gives me a little more time to make sure this is what I want to, and to reach out to recruiters and find jobs. Not to mention, putting a little more money in my pocket before I make the move.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 PM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,620 times
Nep, you have 8x what I had saved up and then some. I made the move from Chicago in January, and I can say I am happy with it. The advantage you have going for you is that you have much more saved up than the average person who moves. This could also work in your favor about being selective in which job you do take. I am by no means saying you should wait 8-10 months looking for a job, and having the savings disappear as a result. I simply am stating, you may not just have to accept the first offer that comes your way, like I had to. I wouldn't wait on things in life like moving, time goes by so fast. You will blink and four years will have passed. That's what it felt like to me. Nothing in life would have been accomplished by people if we just sat and waited for something to happen. You have to make your own "luck" in a way. The majority of the time this takes that risk of the unknown. You will never know until you just jump in the deep end, and see if you can swim. Having positivity and a little determination go a long way too. I am sure you have both of these as your current situation looks to be that you can make it. I don't see why you couldn't make it here! Good luck to you!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:22 PM

639 posts, read 974,902 times
We moved here from CT 2 years ago with no jobs lined up. I have a home-based business so I was starting from scratch. My husband was in your shoes, no one would interview him without seeing him in person. He got a job about double his salary from CT in a month.

Was it scary? Yes.

Is the economy here better than it was 2 years ago? YES. A billion times, yes.

So, from someone who did it, it can be done and be done successfully.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM

I think I am going to make it happen! All of these comments are encouraging and it seems like $26K is plenty to move on. I also have no debt and my car is fully paid off, new, and a master's degree! I mean, my vision is that I would stay down there for 3-6 years and possibly move back to CT if I end up settling down with someone or end up hating AZ somehow.
Like I said, I think I am going to aim for a move in mid November, so that I can still vote in the election up here on Nov 6! By then, I will probably have closer to $27K saved up, too. If I end up with about $22K after the move is done and I find a job, I will be pretty happy. I'm sure I can recoup that $5K in a matter of months. I won't know anyone when I move there, but that's ok. I'm an introverted person and don't need a ton of social interaction. But I would hope to make friends over time.

I hope I will like AZ. I mean, I love heat and sunshine and loved the terrain. I like how everything is modern and clean, too. And I love the outdoors and hope to spend a lot of time hiking, biking, and exploring the desert and mountains. I like how PHX is a big metro area, but surrounded by rural land. And I love driving a car instead of using public transit. I hope the traffic isn't too bad though.

Now, what about which city I should consider living in? Based on my research, they all seem similar, with the exception of Scottsdale being extra special. It seems pricey though. I'm thinking of considering Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale, though. Does AZ have a motor vehicle excise tax, each year? Also, I'm hoping to find a nice apartment for no more than $900 per month. A 2br, preferable, with a washer & dryer. I'm assuming central air is standard with all apartment complexes, right? Should I leave my window AC unit behind?

Last edited by nep321; 09-30-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM

639 posts, read 974,902 times
No need for a window AC unit unless you move into a really old building. I'm fairly certain you will have no problem finding a 2 BR for $900 or less a month, you can rent an entire house for less than that in some areas of the valley.

Scottsdale is pretty expensive, Tempe is close to Scottsdale and it's nightlife but at a better price. I don't have a lot of experience with the Phoenix area and there are definitely some areas of Phoenix that are better than others. We ended up in Gilbert but that was more for the schools than any other reason.

Feel free to PM me, like I said, we did the move from CT ourselves and I'd be more than happy to give you some pointers about getting settled.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM

357 posts, read 713,403 times
Neighborhoods are a completely different topic. Look into a Pod or ubox to move your stuff, significantly cheaper than a moving truck. Also consider selling your furniture and just shipping belongings is FedEx ground.

I moved from Phx to Chicago with 10k in savings and did ok with significantly higher cost of living. However, you should consider the idea of taking a lesser job just to bring in cash if you can't find your ideal job right away. Also, find a lower priced rental than $1,100. If you require a 2 bedroom that's an ok price but you definitely can find a nice 1 bedroom anywhere in Phoenix for less.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
Don't they have early voting in Connecticut? Voting should not affect moving plans.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Don't they have early voting in Connecticut? Voting should not affect moving plans.
Nope. They tried to pass an early voting amendment to the state constitution, but it didn't pass. But that's okay....I don't believe in early voting, unless you are ill or away from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area