Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:13 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times

Advertisements

I think you should go for it. I would use Linkedin.com as a resource to start connecting with recruiters in Phoenix. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Holy crap. I just looked into quotes for moving service. I would do the packing myself, but I need to hire some guys to load my heavy furniture into the truck and drive it 2,500 miles from here to PHX and then unload my heavy furniture into a storage depot. That will all cost a whopping $4,800. Omg. I don't know if I can make this work now. That's MUCH highre than I thought. I would pay maybe $1,200, but that's outrageous. Not to mention, I would probably have to spend up to $2,000 on driving myself down there, staying at hotels along the way, and staying in a hotel while in PHX until I find an apartment. THEN, I have to hire another moving company to load, transport and unload my furniture and stuff from the storage depot to my new apartment. All of this, before I even start looking for a job

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 AM

890 posts, read 2,278,854 times
Sell your things. Moving companies are a rip off.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Sell your things. Moving companies are a rip off.
LOL. That's actually cheaper. You're right!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,659 times
RE: Moving without a job
According to the BLS, the current unemployment rate for those with master's degrees is UNDER 5%. Move - you'll find a job. IF you were only HS educated - I would think that some of the advice about not moving without a job lined up would be more applicable.

RE: Cost of moving
We are currently near you and had Phoenix on our radar for a bit (as you can tell I still poke around the Phoenix CD forum). The cost to rent a UHAUL truck, rent a UHAUL trailer (to put our car on), gas, hotels, food, etc. came in at around $4,500. We'd load and unload by ourselves - this was not an issue. It's not cheap because it's not around the corner. I'd say sell everything you don't have an emotional attachment to and move with what you can fit into your vehicle. Depending on your vehicle, you could rent a UHAUL trailer to pull behind it for very little money.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
"Finding a job that pays at least $62K" Along with the lower cost of living here compared to the East Coast, generally, goes much lower salaries. So, even if you use a recruiter and all that, don't be surprised if you see much lower salaries for similar work to what you've been doing. For one thing, employers know they can pay people less to come live in the sunshine.

Moving costs ARE high. I'd get rid of anything you don't have an emotional attachment to. It can be cheaper to replace some things than move them.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Crap. I just realized that I will probably have to spend nearly $1,000 per year on travel costs to vist my family in Connecticut about twice a year. And, I will have to spend a few days staying at their house, which of course, means using up some of my precious vacation days from work, just to visit family. Ugh!

I don't know what to do. This seems like it's going to be a very costly, risky adventure with some negative features that come along with it. And what if I end up not liking AZ?

If I do make the move, I would prefer to do it in mid-November, after the presidential election. I plan to vote on Nov 6 here, where I'm registered. Can't believe the city of Phoenix requires registration 29 days before the election. Geez!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Most of the answers on here are from people who don't know how accountants get jobs. Its different than the norms we usually think about. Here in Phx its recruiter heaven and they know where the openings are and get the jobs for people easily.
I agree with PhxBarb on a recruiter, you'll have a job in know time. Don't offer a to pay full price on a lease, if anything offer an extra deposit and allow them to set the price. Keep that money in case of emergencies.

One the living arrangement note, try and find a room for rent in a home with someone who is a gay male. They will help you with the transition to Phoenix, including night life and social networks you'd most likely be interested in here in the valley. After six months you can venture out on your own with knowledge and a job. There are certain areas of the valley which are more open than others. You could literally have no issues in one city and a ton in another.

Here is a list of social groups that might help you navigate areas of the valley on your own or find a room mate. Good luck and welcome to the Valley of the Sun! First thing you need to do is stock up on some nice flip flops, you'll live in them.

The Phoenix Gay Professionals Meetup Group (Phoenix, AZ) - Meetup
Phoenix-Area Social & Support Groups

Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Crap. I just realized that I will probably have to spend nearly $1,000 per year on travel costs to vist my family in Connecticut about twice a year. And, I will have to spend a few days staying at their house, which of course, means using up some of my precious vacation days from work, just to visit family. Ugh!

I don't know what to do. This seems like it's going to be a very costly, risky adventure with some negative features that come along with it. And what if I end up not liking AZ?

If I do make the move, I would prefer to do it in mid-November, after the presidential election. I plan to vote on Nov 6 here, where I'm registered. Can't believe the city of Phoenix requires registration 29 days before the election. Geez!
Don't get discouraged, all of us have to venture out to find our happy spot. It's not such a risky adventure, you have family back home in CT. I am sure you could "phone home" in case of some catastrophe. mid-November is a great time to come out actually. Businesses are busy because our weather is nice and our valley is full of snowbirds. Great time to move and great time to look for work! :_

Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Plus, there is a lack of young people in CT. And a lack of attractive people lol.
You live there too...

Maybe you're not being realistic about your dating expectations. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area