Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,981,625 times

Advertisements

Two more questions:

1. Are there bees in AZ? If not, then I won't worry so much about scorpions. It's like a trade off. Plus, bees fly, scorpions don't. We see bees all the time up here in New England and I've been stung several times when I was a kid. Does a scorpion sting hurt worse?

2. Do you think 28 years old is too old to make a long distance move as I have proposed in this thread?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM

53 posts, read 97,315 times
I am moving to the PHX metro area in December, without a job first. In my field (non-degree office and/or managerial work), it is very unrealistic to expect to have a job lined up before moving. I cannot afford to drive or fly out for an interview, and I agree with you about an out-of-state address being very off-putting to the employer. I have a plan and some savings, and I'm confident that I'll be okay. I'm sure you will, too. Especially since your savings far outnumber mine --- wow! Someone on pg. 1 made a comment about $26,000 not being enough, and I almost laughed. I made, and survived, on much less than that for most of my 20's.

Good luck to you!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM

53 posts, read 97,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
2. Do you think 28 years old is too old to make a long distance move as I have proposed in this thread?
I'm 32, and like I said above, I'm moving to AZ from OR in a couple months, so I hope it's not too old!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM

339 posts, read 934,693 times
Quote:
Two more questions:

1. Are there bees in AZ? If not, then I won't worry so much about scorpions. It's like a trade off. Plus, bees fly, scorpions don't. We see bees all the time up here in New England and I've been stung several times when I was a kid. Does a scorpion sting hurt worse?

I'll take the 2nd question...No! It's not too old. I'm 10 years older than you and am planning to make the same long distance move (NY to AZ).

Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 PM

69 posts, read 221,436 times
Quote:
Two more questions:

1. Bees are not a problem where I've lived (North Phoenix and Scottsdale) since moving here. I've seen 2 scorpions in 14 years. People who've been stung by a scorpion compare it to a bad bee sting, but it depends on the scorpion. The baby scorpions' stings hurt more.

2. I moved here from central New York in 1998 at age 27. Drove across the country alone having literally never been to AZ before. Met my wife here (she's from Simsbury CT) and had 2 kids. You can do it!

Wife and I are ready to move back to the Northeast mostly because we want to get back to small town living and I miss the connection to history that I felt in the northeast. The heat and sun here has also worn me out, but that's a personal thing and many people here like it. I'm a cold-weather guy.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Another question...

How are the people/culture in Phoenix? Is it pretentious like LA or SF? Is it more laid back? Is it a slow paced or fast paced city? Do people generally like to show off and is money super important to people? I lived in NYC and thought the people were friendly for the most part, just for reference. How do PHX people compare to people of New England?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 AM

701 posts, read 1,098,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
I'll take the 2nd question...No! It's not too old. I'm 10 years older than you and am planning to make the same long distance move (NY to AZ).

There's an age limit on moving?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 AM

63 posts, read 265,117 times
Quote:
Another question...

How are the people/culture in Phoenix? Is it pretentious like LA or SF? Is it more laid back? Is it a slow paced or fast paced city? Do people generally like to show off and is money super important to people? I lived in NYC and thought the people were friendly for the most part, just for reference. How do PHX people compare to people of New England?
If 50 people answer you back on these questions, you are going to get 50 different answers. The Phoenix metropolitan area is one of the largest in the United States, in both area and population. From the northwest valley to the southeast valley of the Phoenix area, you are talking about at least 50 miles. There are close to 6 1/2 million people in Arizona, and about 5 million of them live here in the Phoenix metropolitan area. You are asking questions that cannot be truly answered except by yourself, after you move here.

And as far as the "bees" post you made above - yes, there are bees here because there are tons of flowering trees, flowering cacti, and flowering plants everywhere here, and there are several blooming seasons. We have rattlesnakes, scorpions, bees, coyotes, lizards, wasps, spiders of all kinds. Even though this is a big city, it is still the desert - we found a small rattlesnake on our front porch about 3 years ago, and we live in an older neighborhood in a highly populated area that has been developed for over 30 years. We've found scorpions in our backyard and garage, we have tons of bees in the spring, especially when our palo verde trees bloom, we've had wasps nests and we have several lizards (geckos) that live in and around our house and yard - they drive my indoor cat nuts. We also have quail families that live under one of our bushes and hummingbirds at certain times.

If you are truly serious about moving here, nothing anyone can post or say is going to change your mind one way or the other. I would suggest just doing it and let the chips fall where they may. You are young. If it doesn't work out here, you can always find someplace else.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM

211 posts, read 544,658 times
Quote:
Another question...

I'm from Ma, older than u 40, and I'm moving to Az by next fall. Been to Az visiting friends on n off who moved from Ma to Az 10yrs ago. One of my friends met his wife there I'n Az and she was originally from NYC an moved to Az in the 80s..

As far as the people in Az. I find them to be A LOT more friendly than people in New England, a lot more!!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
I'm from Ma, older than u 40, and I'm moving to Az by next fall. Been to Az visiting friends on n off who moved from Ma to Az 10yrs ago. One of my friends met his wife there I'n Az and she was originally from NYC an moved to Az in the 80s..

As far as the people in Az. I find them to be A LOT more friendly than people in New England, a lot more!!!!
That's good to hear. New England is certainly not known for friendly people!

I've been doing the math and financials with regard to planning out this move, and it's actually quite frightening. Even though I will have $26K at my disposal, it appears that I will be left with only about $15K by the time I actually find a job in Phoenix. I just realized that I have a $600 auto insurance payment due in Nov (6 month premium), plus, the cost of installing a hitch on my car and renting a UHAUL trailer, the cost of gas, food, hotels, tolls, etc, during the week that it will take me to travel down there. Then, once I get there, I will need to move my stuff into storage, which costs money, and basically live in a hotel for up to 2 weeks, so that I have time to look for an apartment and move into one by around Dec 1. Then, it will cost even more money to rent another UHAUL trailer to move my stuff into the new apartment -- not to mention, finding someone to help me move a few heavier items (if I can fit my full-sized bed in there). Then, it will probably be challenging to be accepted into an apt complex, since they want to see proof of employment. How the hell am I going to get around that? Will they accept an offer from me to pay like 2 or 3 months in advance? Then, I will have to spend more money on repurchasing things that I had to give away or sell off before making the move. And of course, all the living expenses I must incur while finding a job, which could take some time, especially in this economy. When all of that is taken into account, I will be left with around $15K, which is awful IMO. I was hoping to be left with at least $20K by the time I secure employment.

Another option, is to live with my cousin in Albuquerque for free, until I find a place and a job in PHX. But it's a 5-6 hour drive, so I'm not sure recruiters or employers would still take me seriously and want to interview me. It doesn't seem close enough.

Any ideas on how I can make this work?! I'm determined, but also realistic. I also have another $14K available in stocks, if I sell them, but I prefer not to touch them.

Last edited by nep321; 10-04-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area