Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,705,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Gawd help us all. What the future holds I don't know.

I watched a telly programme last night that conducted a very interesting experiment. Governments all say that people are going to have to work longer in the future. Some predict well into the seventies. The programme took half a dozen people well into their seventies, and put them back in full time jobs for two weeks to see how they coped. At the same time some young people were also given jobs. They had been unemployed, or had never had a job at all. Some of the old people did better than others, but all stuck it out for the two weeks, not late for work on any of the days. The young people astonished me. One only completed one day, two more went sick on the second day. They had no work ethic at all. I really worry for the future of my country.

I worry for the future of the whole world! Kids want,want but alot of them don't want to work for their wants.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,437,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
I worry for the future of the whole world! Kids want,want but alot of them don't want to work for their wants.
That's true Lucky Lady. When I was 12 years old, I was out delivering papers at 6am, then after school six days a week. Plus I had to go to all the houses on my delivery route Friday nights to collect the money the people owed! Can you imagine today, a 12 year old kid walking round collecting money like that, with their pockets full of cash!! I needed money to buy things I wanted. My Dad said, "go earn it."

Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,845 times
Quote:
I watched a telly programme last night that conducted a very interesting experiment. Governments all say that people are going to have to work longer in the future. Some predict well into the seventies. The programme took half a dozen people well into their seventies, and put them back in full time jobs for two weeks to see how they coped. At the same time some young people were also given jobs. They had been unemployed, or had never had a job at all. Some of the old people did better than others, but all stuck it out for the two weeks, not late for work on any of the days. The young people astonished me. One only completed one day, two more went sick on the second day. They had no work ethic at all. I really worry for the future of my country
My son is 18 and has developed his own old time values pertaining to work. He feels if someone is paying you to do a job you do it. No whining, no lollygagging, no moaning about the 40 minute commute each way to work at an amusement park, and the traffic that clogs our 2 lane highway.
Last week a supervisor told him to sweep up the pine needles that were covering a section of the park. After 10 minutes the supervisor returned and exclaimed that my son had swept up more pine needles in those 10 minutes than the last kid had done in 2 hours.
He's a good kid.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:27 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,437,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
My son is 18 and has developed his own old time values pertaining to work. He feels if someone is paying you to do a job you do it. No whining, no lollygagging, no moaning about the 40 minute commute each way to work at an amusement park, and the traffic that clogs our 2 lane highway.
Last week a supervisor told him to sweep up the pine needles that were covering a section of the park. After 10 minutes the supervisor returned and exclaimed that my son had swept up more pine needles in those 10 minutes than the last kid had done in 2 hours.
He's a good kid.
That is great! He has a work ethic built in I guess. I worked 22 years for Royal Mail in England. Six days a week, starting at 5.10 am. Nobody owes you a living. But, at the same time you have to be given the chance to earn one.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
I just got another notice that my apartment management needs to enter my unit to allow a contractor to do some work on my circuits ... I got the notice when I got home today and the work begins on Monday I know they did not just arrange this so what's up with the last-minute notifications??? I called and asked if they can do mine on Friday morning (since they'll be working all next week) and the assistant manager stated that she will see if they can accommodate that request ... Sheesh! I don't mind them doing necessary work but give us working folks time to arrange our schedules to be at home. I HATE having people in my unit when I'm not home, especially those who do not work for the management company!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,991,548 times
My old cat isnt feeling good again. I'm trying to warm him up, he has a low temp, thats more scary than a fever. I gave him fluids and antibiotics, gotta wait and see. Be a stressful day watching him, I already feel like I'm walking the wire. The vet wouldnt do much else for him, so better he is with me. They will only be there till noon today anyway.

Least I have a working computer again, I got a great deal on an Acer netbook, (128 bucks) but it lost its mind and was freaking out on me. But they exchanged it wo a problem.

Why do kids want to go to college, just be a tradesman. This tree guy wants 1000 bucks thats for an 8 to 10 hour day. Not bad huh. I'm just an educated idiot.

Ya know the world has gone mad when people are selling their kidneys to by an Iphone, or book or whatever they are called.

Sorry, no one to talk to, so I do ramble on. Wheres WildFlower, havent seen her lately.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
He's a good kid.
I like your young adult kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I just got another notice that my apartment management needs to enter my unit to allow a contractor to do some work on my circuits ... I got the notice when I got home today and the work begins on Monday I know they did not just arrange this so what's up with the last-minute notifications??? I called and asked if they can do mine on Friday morning (since they'll be working all next week) and the assistant manager stated that she will see if they can accommodate that request ... Sheesh! I don't mind them doing necessary work but give us working folks time to arrange our schedules to be at home. I HATE having people in my unit when I'm not home, especially those who do not work for the management company!
Chatteress, anyone entering the home is always a worry no matter how far in between the entries may be. I suggest a camera system. I got one more than ten years ago and the web site (X10 dot com) is still around with incredibly low prices. The one I have has three cameras and was less than $200. Advise apartment management that you have the system. I haven't browsed the site lately but I think there is one that will send activity straight to email. So even if you don't get that one, let management know that you know *everything* that goes on in your home, even if someone comes in and rips off the cameras and VCR that you will have it all on email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
My old cat isnt feeling good again. I'm trying to warm him up, he has a low temp, thats more scary than a fever. I gave him fluids and antibiotics, gotta wait and see. Be a stressful day watching him, I already feel like I'm walking the wire. The vet wouldnt do much else for him, so better he is with me. They will only be there till noon today anyway.
Prayers and best wishes for your old cat, todd. My old girl is still hanging in there but is now on 5mg of prednisone once a day.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,322,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
That's true Lucky Lady. When I was 12 years old, I was out delivering papers at 6am, then after school six days a week. Plus I had to go to all the houses on my delivery route Friday nights to collect the money the people owed! Can you imagine today, a 12 year old kid walking round collecting money like that, with their pockets full of cash!! I needed money to buy things I wanted. My Dad said, "go earn it."

Your dad was wise!

It would help, if so many friggin' people> would stop guilt tripping every single parent> who doesn't buy their offspring a cellphone or the latest expensive electronic gadget.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:37 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,402,270 times
Reminder: Do NOT hang out with people who don't know how to have fun or people who are good at taking away your fun...

Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,900,628 times
With the main pc (desktop) down and off to the repair shop to fix, we’ve been using the laptop with wifi at home. Mrs Aks tried to print some important (so she thinks) papers and couldn’t. One thing led to another and I was able to find out that because the base was missing and not connected the laptop on the wifi through the router couldn’t talk to the printers. So this meant that I had to reconfigure them and rewire things until the base gets back. Damn scams and malware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics