Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 05:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times

Advertisements

So I went to purchase a new printer/scanner and brought home (on the bus) a huge piece of crap! After a frustrating hour of dealing with a tech support rep who was likely from another country with a robotic voice ("thank you for your patience, Ma'am" "Not to worry, Ma'am" - Chatteress teeth set on edge with that condescending tone of his), it was concluded that I need to return the darned thing! Goodness, half of the conversation was spent trying to tell me to open the front door of the printer before the dingy HP guy realized that he was consulting the manual for the WRONG printer! I had to TELL him what the issue was .... Issue with the printer cartridge tray ... So I now have to pack it up and lug the thing on the bus back to Best Buys and lug a new one home

Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,646,271 times
[quote=Chatteress;25277199]After a frustrating hour of dealing with a tech support rep who was likely from another country with a robotic voice ("thank you for your patience, Ma'am" "Not to worry, Ma'am" - Chatteress teeth set on edge with that condescending tone of his), QUOTE]

I know Right, I HATE that. For God's sakes stop calling me Ma'am "Peggy" or whatever your phoney baloney name is!

I have hung up on quite a few of these outsourced representatives. I have stopped doing business with a few companies in fact because of that.

Hey businesses - give me an articulate American when I call for customer service, and I will be your customer for life.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So I went to purchase a new printer/scanner and brought home (on the bus) a huge piece of crap! After a frustrating hour of dealing with a tech support rep who was likely from another country with a robotic voice ("thank you for your patience, Ma'am" "Not to worry, Ma'am" - Chatteress teeth set on edge with that condescending tone of his), it was concluded that I need to return the darned thing! Goodness, half of the conversation was spent trying to tell me to open the front door of the printer before the dingy HP guy realized that he was consulting the manual for the WRONG printer! I had to TELL him what the issue was .... Issue with the printer cartridge tray ... So I now have to pack it up and lug the thing on the bus back to Best Buys and lug a new one home
Oh how I hate that when it happens. And worse when you call for tech help and get someone like you got. It's just not fun any longer to deal with products and people.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,436,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
We are so worried about terrorists and yet any idiot can buy assault rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo, on line no less. Makes ya wonder if the greater threat isn't right here among our own people.
I'm going to tread very carefully here. Guns are very beautiful things to look at, and fire. I have had the chance to use weapons while in the army. Very few English people ever get the chance, so don't understand firing them on a target range is fun.

A pawnshop owner in Las Vegas even allowed me to handle one of the two guns he had strapped to his sides under his shirt. I'd forgotten how heavy they are, and interesting to touch.

Arguments are raging on other threads here on C-D. About the right to bear arms, how, if people had guns in the cinema, they could have shot the assailant.

We have had incidents in this country of shootings where many people have been killed. I remember an awful event where a guy got into a school gym, and killed a number of children. These events are very, very rare. The government have taken all possible steps to ensure ordinary people have no access to guns. Criminals that use guns are hunted down remorsely, most end up shot and killed by the police.

I would say, for all the problems in this country, the idea of being shot is not something that even crosses people's mind.

The gun lobby in America is very powerful. Many people seem to love owning them, and their right to bear arms will be quoted. Well, with that right will come events like in that cinema in Colorado. Sure as night follows day. The same thing would happen here if people could buy guns.

The trouble is, the genie is out of the bottle. Even if a government in America banned guns, and set about removing them from ordinary people, there would be a bloodbath. People would barracade themselves in their homes, and shoot at anybody trying to take them away. Shouting out "it's my right to bear arms."
Others would hide them anywhere they could. There would be a black market of guns for sale.

There is not much that can be done to stop incidents like the one in Colorado happening again. All that can be done I suppose is restrict the kind of weapons ordinary people can buy to handguns, not things like rapid fire machine guns. It is a massive problem, beyond solving I guess.

All that can be done is look after survivors of these incidents, and punish the killers. Hand wringing by politicians achieves nothing.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post

I know Right, I HATE that. For God's sakes stop calling me Ma'am "Peggy" or whatever your phoney baloney name is!

I have hung up on quite a few of these outsourced representatives. I have stopped doing business with a few companies in fact because of that.

Hey businesses - give me an articulate American when I call for customer service, and I will be your customer for life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Oh how I hate that when it happens. And worse when you call for tech help and get someone like you got. It's just not fun any longer to deal with products and people.

Update: I returned the HP all-in-one and got a Brother's all-in-one. I successfully installed the product and so far, it's working fine. I just need to figure out how to scan as their software is so much different than the HP one. I'm too tired to tinker with it tonight but hopefully, I can figure it out as I wanna start scanning the old photos. I pray that the quality is good. I was so happy with my old HP printer but after upgrading to a new computer, I could not reinstall that software so I had to contend with crappy Windows scanning ... I'm hoping that the Brother's software will do a good job with the old photos like the HP software did.

I agree about customer service isn't what it used to be ... It is so frustrating speaking with folks from other countries with their difficult to understand accents, robotic voices and lack of flexibility ... I really get annoyed with those techies and CSRs who are condescending towards women. I so wanted to hang up on that infuriating, condescending techie but at least I had the pleasure of being condescending back when he obviously was trying to walk me through installation steps with the WRONG model! LOL! I dunno if Brother outsources as I haven't had to contact their tech support but at least the phone numbers is right there in clear view in the manual. I had to waste an aggravating ten minutes to even LOCATE an HP number I am so disappointed with HP as I really liked their products and thinking of letting them know about this experience that they just lost my business. At least I've had good experiences with Brother as well which is why I opted to purchase their All-in-one.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Especially people!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 AM

Don't know whether it's true or not, but someone told me that if you absolutely insist on speaking to an American, English speaker, that they will patch you through to one at some of the call centers. I may try that next time.

My last company actually outsourced our Human Resources department to India. That way they were able to lay off all the HR people here in this country. Talk about a nightmare. Someone reading from a script to you about your vacation, benefits, or a payroll issue, and having absolutely no real idea about any of it. One reason I left that company.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,272,735 times
I actually asked one CSR once, "You can be honest with me. Your name isn't really Jason, is it?" He never answered, he just kind of laughed. At least he had a sense of humor.

Dave, I agree...the NRA is much too powerful, IMO.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,968 times
What also gets me angry is the time and waste of money to give this guy a trial, he was caught at the scene, no doubt it was him, find a tree and get a rope. Instead loved ones have to watch this play out in the courts for how many months or years. This slime ball is still breathing, sleeping, eating, in the a/c and their loved ones are dead or injured. Lives lost and ruined forever. Limit their appeals and make the death penalty as swift and painful as death was for the victims. In the mean time the state is paying plenty to keep this evil person alive. How about more consideration for the victims rights.

Oh yeah sure, if every movie patron was armed, it would have been different. Well the element of surprise is always a big issue. Tear gas, you can't see what you're shooting at. Of course he didn't care, he just opened fire. How many patrons would have shot other patrons by mistake. Simple answers from simple mind. Dave, do you remember the mass shooting at a mall in Omaha a few years ago? Another sad story there.

My old cat was better but now is worse. His kidneys are probably at least part of the problem. I cant keep his temp in the normal range even with heat. So it doesnt look good. I may have him put on an IV and see if running fluids through him a couple days will help. But they arent there all the time, and I'd worry his temp was going down and no one was with him. Have to see how today goes, I know all the signs. He is old, and people would say well he lived a long time, 18 is old for a cat. But that hardly softens the blow. Its been some difficult years and he has seen it all. Its just sad. Life is suppose to be a balance of up and down, but the percentages vary. As they say, your mileage may vary. The ups do help offset the bad lonely stretches of road.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,665 times
Quote:
So I went to purchase a new printer/scanner and brought home
I freak every time I even think we might have to buy a new printer. We've never installed a new printer without "issues".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics