Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2023, 08:41 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's from yesterday's Globe 9/1/23.

I'm not gonna worry about the 1%. I mean, we're always going to have a lag between developing / approving vaccines and the emergence of variants.
You just put the finger on the big problem with our drug approval bureaucracy. They are almost always fighting the last war, and more concerned with process than results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 09:33 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The difference, in my opinion, was that while the vaccine did not prevent the disease, it lowered the severity enough that we could reopen as a society. For the record, I am one of the few people that is vehemently anti-lockdown and pro vaccine. I am popular with no one.
This is a popular opinion with me.

That's the most important difference, but another one with the absurd comparison you're responding to is that no one gets high from a vaccine. If anything it produces some discomfort.

I'm travelling to "Bahston" next week, hence my interest in this thread.

My wife practically never becomes ill, yet she recently got Covid in DC from being in a car for a couple hours with someone who was unwittingly coming down with it. It's been a mild illness for her.

If I don't get the bug on this trip, it's quite possible I will get the booster later this month. Not sure yet.

What we don't want to see is a nasty variant arising this fall/winter that could put a lot of people into hospital. Even in that event, I don't see "lockdowns" coming back.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:36 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
What's the difference between a drug junkie looking for his next fix and a Covid booster advocate looking for her next booster ? There is no difference ,both are looking for their next drug fix .
Because the covid vaccine boosters make you high? Okay then.

Old 09-03-2023, 11:21 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You just put the finger on the big problem with our drug approval bureaucracy. They are almost always fighting the last war, and more concerned with process than results.
Can't win with folks like you. If they streamline approvals, it breeds suspicion and conspiracy (a la how the original Covid vaccines were fast tracked) and that there's a government agenda to push vaccines down the public's throats. I, for one, as well as the scientific / medical community are glad that a rigorous process exists for approving new medications.

Old 09-03-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
What's the difference between a drug junkie looking for his next fix and a Covid booster advocate looking for her next booster ? There is no difference ,both are looking for their next drug fix .

Not sure how to even reason with this kind of "thinking".

Old 09-03-2023, 11:33 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Can't win with folks like you. If they streamline approvals, it breeds suspicion and conspiracy (a la how the original Covid vaccines were fast tracked) and that there's a government agenda to push vaccines down the public's throats. I, for one, as well as the scientific / medical community are glad that a rigorous process exists for approving new medications.
Off topic, but my concern is with the slow track on drugs attacking dementia and advanced cancer. There is literally nothing to lose if on an informed basis those patients are receiving an unproven drugs. Yet the approval process ditzes along while people die.

I would prefer a somewhat faster track generally. And I am rather easy to please.

Old 09-03-2023, 02:46 PM

5,947 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Not sure how to even reason with this kind of "thinking".
So you did get the Covid Vax AND all the boosters . Well good for you ,feel better now ? Opps , now your feeling like you been had , by going along with the crowd .Well no problem many others feel that way also .

Old 09-03-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
So you did get the Covid Vax AND all the boosters . Well good for you ,feel better now ? Opps , now your feeling like you been had , by going along with the crowd .Well no problem many others feel that way also .
Well, I've managed to not get Covid, so yes I'm pleased. Not getting sick with something for which a vaccine exists, is a good thing. What's your point?

Old 09-04-2023, 11:41 AM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
In nearby RI, Trinity Rep (a theater in downtown Providence) is requiring masks for select matinees.

Trinity Rep. Offering Masked Matinees This Season

"To accommodate patrons who feel most comfortable in a fully masked environment, select matinees will require guests to wear masks. Masks must completely and tightly cover the nose and mouth."

Old 09-04-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
In nearby RI, Trinity Rep (a theater in downtown Providence) is requiring masks for select matinees.

Trinity Rep. Offering Masked Matinees This Season

"To accommodate patrons who feel most comfortable in a fully masked environment, select matinees will require guests to wear masks. Masks must completely and tightly cover the nose and mouth."
^I like this. Free market at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts