Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2023, 07:43 PM

959 posts, read 539,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
or not wearing them. if an individual feels for whatever reason they need "protection" thenthats ok. Its also ok not to wear one. But this is Ma. afterall. All should salute .
Seriously? Salute? Are you in Massachusetts or just chiming in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 03:33 AM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
To make the point that they so deeply care about others.
if they so deeply cared about others, they would be wearing their masks correctly!

Old 08-30-2023, 05:46 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
if they so deeply cared about others, they would be wearing their masks correctly!
My argument is that for most people the mask is an emblem, not a true medical protective device.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:01 AM

3,084 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
Seriously? Salute? Are you in Massachusetts or just chiming in?
oh I have the misfortune to live here. Been here a long long time. It use to be a great state. Not anymore. This state, esp the eastern half, is so far left that many of you and the govt expect no-one to question anything the state does.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:44 AM

959 posts, read 539,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
oh I have the misfortune to live here. Been here a long long time. It use to be a great state. Not anymore. This state, esp the eastern half, is so far left that many of you and the govt expect no-one to question anything the state does.
Are you for real? Why are you suffering in so called far left state?
It’s America. People move. It’s especially easy from more expensive states to cheaper ones.

Calling any place in US far left just shows that you do not have a slightest idea what far left or even real left is.

Btw what does government tell you that it’s not telling me? Wild imagination perhaps?

Old 08-30-2023, 06:44 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
My argument is that for most people the mask is an emblem, not a true medical protective device.
How about the much simpler explanation: it makes the wearers more secure and confident about entering a crowded setting, and being able to go about their normal life amidst strangers?

Old 08-30-2023, 06:48 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Today? I highly doubt it. Maybe there are a handful of people virtue signaling with masks out there, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that most people wearing masks in public today have real concerns about the virus while most of the rest of the world has moved on. Most are probably immunocompromised, and some may have a hard time letting go of several years of the constant media bombardment re: COVID. But I seriously doubt that many (let alone a majority) of mask wearers in August 2023 are wearing them as "emblems." Apart from deep political bias, I'm curious as to what the basis for such a theory would be?

Old 08-30-2023, 06:56 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Today? I highly doubt it. Maybe there are a handful of people virtue signaling with masks out there, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that most people wearing masks in public today have real concerns about the virus while most of the rest of the world has moved on. Most are probably immunocompromised, and some may have a hard time letting go of several years of the constant media bombardment re: COVID. But I seriously doubt that many (let alone a majority) of mask wearers in August 2023 are wearing them as "emblems." Apart from deep political bias, I'm curious as to what the basis for such a theory would be?
On a recent flight out of Logan, I was asked by a seatmate as to "how's that mask working out for ya?" When I asked what he meant, he goes "Oh, some people wear it as more of a statement". I wanted to say "none of your biz" but told him why I felt better wearing it on a packed airplane.

This same "gentleman" spent the rest of the flight watching Fox News, and cursing loudly (in first class, no less) about how the SOB Dems and migrants are ruining the country.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:04 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
On a recent flight out of Logan, I was asked by a seatmate as to "how's that mask working out for ya?" When I asked what he meant, he goes "Oh, some people wear it as more of a statement". I wanted to say "none of your biz" but told him why I felt better wearing it on a packed airplane.

This same "gentleman" spent the rest of the flight watching Fox News, and cursing loudly (in first class, no less) about how the SOB Dems and migrants are ruining the country.
It's clearly still a touchy subject for some. Planes are densely packed and recirculate air over and over again. Wearing a mask while flying is a perfectly sensible thing to do whether you're immunocompromised or you just really don't want to have the sniffles for several days after your flight. In many parts of the world, you'd see about 50% of passengers wearing masks on flights (or public transit) prior to COVID. But some are still convinced that the only reason for wearing them is to "show off." It's pretty crazy.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:51 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
A coworker of mine recently came back from "vacation." Air quotes because on day 2 of his 2 week vacation he got sick with covid. It was no worse than a bad cold or bronchitis, but it meant he and his husband weren't able to do anything that they had planned to do because they were both sick throughout the entire trip and stuck ordering room service. What a waste.

The first time I masked up in almost a year was just prior to and during the travel portions of my vacation. I still have yet to get covid (knock on wood) and didn't even have a cold or bronchitis during the year where I masked but was still at work every day. Mitigating the risk of getting sick before a trip, event, or something else makes a lot of sense, especially in the past few weeks where families are ending vacations before school or people without children are heading out to enjoy quieter vacations without families mobbing beaches and museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts