Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2023, 12:10 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Since the last update earlier this week, they actually jumped higher than pre-Labor Day last year, with colleges and schools about to open. AND we don't have a booster coming for another couple of weeks, well after the start of classes, so it can increase quite a lot unchecked. Likely also less remaining immunity, since the last boosters were so long ago, and we had a long lull in cases. And last fall was a mess.
Are we looking at different numbers? Unless I'm misreading these it looks like the numbers are still lower than the numbers for the same point last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 01:27 PM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Are we looking at different numbers? Unless I'm misreading these it looks like the numbers are still lower than the numbers for the same point last year.
You have to move inbetween the 7/1 and 10/1 data points (the fall "wave" peaked in late Sept/early Oct last year). The difference between this year and last year is especially stark for the North system (North slowly went down last summer until around Labor day, before starting to go back up. Obviously last summer was overall much worse than this summer, but wastewater now is worse than wastewater at this time last year - which does not bode well with schools/colleges starting up, and the delay in the boosters this year relative to last year; I got my bivalent booster exactly a year ago today! The next couple of weeks will be interesting).

Old 09-02-2023, 06:08 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
This is stunning!!!

https://twitter.com/iluminatibot/sta...JDYm3xp_w&s=19

You won't believe it.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:18 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You mean like the Delta variant and the 475,000 people that died that year (2021 was by far the most deadly since onset). Honestly where do you come up with this stuff?
It is easy to point out the negative without proposing any workable solution. The only real solution in anyone’s tool kit is some form of lockdown and/or restriction in society’s operations.

Do you think money and children’s education grows on trees? Do you think society can operate locked down for an indefinite and arbitrary period? Do you think people communicate effectively without facial cues? School and religious services over Zoom?

Is life worthwhile without weddings, birthday parties, funerals? What people were advocating was a “temporary” but effectively permanent dystopia.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:22 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do you think money and children’s education grows on trees? Do you think society can operate locked down for an indefinite and arbitrary period? Do you think people communicate effectively without facial cues? School and religious services over Zoom?

Is life worthwhile without weddings, birthday parties, funerals? What people were advocating was a “temporary” but effectively permanent dystopia.

Your notion is proven false, so you very predictably change the topic. Quit beating a dead horse.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:30 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Your notion is proven false, so you very predictably change the topic. Quit beating a dead horse.
I edited my post to connect it with the thread. Somehow my first sentence disappeared in dictation.

My point is that there are some problems that are inherently insoluble. I am in favor of vaccines, and I do not put particular stock in conspiracy theories involving the Wuhan laboratory or any others. Epidemic and pandemic‘s come and go. No one has a real solution, but politicians and scientists are afraid to say that they just don’t know. Therefore, they come up with a lot of theater that doesn’t solve much but looks impressive.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:42 AM

17,754 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Therefore, they come up with a lot of theater that doesn’t solve much but looks impressive.
If you had been allowed to make the decisions, the death count would have increased by many millions and society probably wouldn't have recovered for decades.

What was done was necessary. Get over it.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I edited my post to connect it with the thread. Somehow my first sentence disappeared in dictation.

My point is that there are some problems that are inherently insoluble. I am in favor of vaccines, and I do not put particular stock in conspiracy theories involving the Wuhan laboratory or any others. Epidemic and pandemic‘s come and go. No one has a real solution, but politicians and scientists are afraid to say that they just don’t know. Therefore, they come up with a lot of theater that doesn’t solve much but looks impressive.

This here is exactly what you said.

Quote:
I think you are right. I think all of the upticks from early 2021 on were "crying wolf."

It's a very peculiar statement, considering how deadly the summer of 2021 was. Now that you were called out on it, you move the goalposts and carry on with irrelevant talking points.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
If you had been allowed to make the decisions, the death count would have increased by many millions and society probably wouldn't have recovered for decades.

What was done was necessary. Get over it.

With some of the Monday morning quarterbacking you see here, it's pretty clear that some have never assumed any kind of a leadership role.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:04 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
This is stunning!!!

https://twitter.com/iluminatibot/sta...JDYm3xp_w&s=19

You won't believe it.
I read the headline--still laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts