Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2023, 05:00 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Yeah, I always think that's a bit over the top when I see people outside in the fresh, open air wearing a mask when they clearly are taking a walk, not just wearing it because they're headed into a building soon.
I know people who wear masks because of allergens in the air, not COVID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 05:02 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The trails were not narrow either...but wow we're really grasping at straws here.

how did we survive before most people started wearing masks before 2020? You could have walked by someone anywhere who had the flu, TB, norovirus, a cold, not to mention things like ecoli that you could get from eating at any restaurant or take out place.

If you're that afraid of getting covid on a trail that you wear a mask how do you really live life? You could get many diseases from touching pretty much anything.
I would think that anyone immunocompromised probably took these types of precautions (choosing less crowded trails, etc.) pre covid so it's nothing new for them. The current mask wearing outdoors by folks who never wore a mask pre covid is where it's at a whole other level of paranoia.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:04 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I know people who wear masks because of allergens in the air, not COVID.
Ok, allergies I'll give you that....I've seen masks on before when people are mowing their lawn during pollen season. Pre Covid though, I can honestly say I never once saw someone at a park or trail in this state wearing a mask while taking a stroll!

Old 08-21-2023, 05:07 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
The trails were not narrow either...but wow we're really grasping at straws here.

how did we survive before most people started wearing masks before 2020? You could have walked by someone anywhere who had the flu, TB, norovirus, a cold, not to mention things like ecoli that you could get from eating at any restaurant or take out place.

If you're that afraid of getting covid on a trail that you wear a mask how do you really live life? You could get many diseases from touching pretty much anything.
You are making comparisons to things that generally aren't a concern.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:13 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
Ok, allergies I'll give you that....I've seen masks on before when people are mowing their lawn during pollen season. Pre Covid though, I can honestly say I never once saw someone at a park or trail in this state wearing a mask while taking a stroll!
Same here. The only times I saw people wearing masks pre covid was on the train typically worn by Asian people. Never ever saw someone wearing one hiking outside.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:54 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Same here. The only times I saw people wearing masks pre covid was on the train typically worn by Asian people. Never ever saw someone wearing one hiking outside.
I remember biking the Minuteman Trail in the summer of 2020. The towns of Arlington and Lexington both had prominent signs requiring users of the Trail to wear masks (by town ordinance). I took pictures of these signs because my family / friends out of state wouldn't believe me. When I'm sailing by at 15 mph, no way I was gonna catch Covid from a passerby!

Old 08-21-2023, 05:57 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I remember biking the Minuteman Trail in the summer of 2020. The towns of Arlington and Lexington both had prominent signs requiring users of the Trail to wear masks (by town ordinance). I took pictures of these signs because my family / friends out of state wouldn't believe me. When I'm sailing by at 15 mph, no way I was gonna catch Covid from a passerby!
Sure I remember having to wear them walking around Chatham and Provincetown into 2021. The mask mandates in MA were in many places. Doesn't mean you have to wear them on a quiet trail today in 2023.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Pre Covid though, I can honestly say I never once saw someone at a park or trail in this state wearing a mask while taking a stroll!
Quote:
Same here.
But why would they? It's kind of like saying I never see people using umbrellas when it's not raining.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Doesn't mean you have to wear them on a quiet trail today in 2023.
But why shame people who choose to? That's where this all started.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:04 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
But why would they? It's kind of like saying I never see people using umbrellas when it's not raining.
It's hard for me to wrap my head around why people are still so scared of covid to the point of wearing a mask but no one seems to care about getting other air born illnesses ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts