Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 05:20 PM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Cited with zero evidence, of course. Covid was the #3 cause of death in 2020 (when most of the "lockdowns" occurred). Suicide dropped below the top 10.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm
There's plenty of evidence out there and some of it has been posted here numerous times. Not my job to enlighten those who are impervious to reality. There is also a plethora of evidence that the restrictions did more harm than good. You'll stoop to any level to defend your ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 05:24 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
There's plenty of evidence out there and some of it has been posted here numerous times. Not my job to enlighten those who are impervious to reality. There is also a plethora of evidence that the restrictions did more harm than good. You'll stoop to any level to defend your ideology.
It's not an ideology when the numbers are there in black & white. Per excess death statistics, the impact of Covid may be underestimated, if anything. 2021 was much the same story.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:25 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Would you care to write down the number of people in the USA who have died of COVID, and then say "We shouldn't have done so many things in an attempt to stop this"?

Better still, imagine saying it in public, with your real identity known. Not anonymously, like here.
I care a lot about that. But I also care about missed educations, missed cancer screenings, and the destroyed lives of small business people. I trust that you are intelligent enough to know that wearing muzzles, staying some arbitrary distance apart, and closing tennis courts did very little or nothing to slow or stop the virus' spread. I give you far more credit.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It's not an ideology when the numbers are there in black & white. Per excess death statistics, the impact of Covid may be underestimated, if anything. 2021 was much the same story.
Yeah right. You keep believing that.

Like I said, impervious. I might as well have a conversation with Billy Graham about what "God thinks."

Old 05-02-2022, 05:26 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
I largely agree. See post above.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Like I said, impervious. I might as well have a conversation with Billy Graham about what "God thinks."
That's where you're wrong. It's you who's going off a belief that lockdowns (and what we called lockdowns in the US was a joke, by the way) killed more people than Covid itself. I'm citing validated data.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:58 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:

I was going to use the example of going to Disney World and yelling "MICE CAN'T TALK" at unsuspecting families. Same thing, though. People will believe their fairy tales or not believe them. Only so much you or I can do.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
That's where you're wrong. It's you who's going off a belief that lockdowns (and what we called lockdowns in the US was a joke, by the way) killed more people than Covid itself. I'm citing validated data.

You're citing data that you're interpreting the way you want. Studies have been done around the world about the efficacy of the measures. The ramifications of the measures are not limited to 2020. Moreover, deaths from alcohol for those under 65 outnumbered those from COVID in 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/h...ths-covid.html Hell, even the freaking NYT is printing it.

Many more studies about the efficacy of the restrictions, the cloth masks etc. It's been covered extensively. You just look at what you want to look at to suit your religion. Have you read a non fiction book or scholarly article since you left school? Have you ever read a scholarly journal article?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 05-02-2022 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
You're citing data that you're interpreting the way you want. Studies have been done around the world about the efficacy of the measures. The ramifications of the measures are not limited to 2020. Moreover, deaths from alcohol for those under 65 outnumbered those from COVID in 2020. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/22/h...ths-covid.html Hell, even the freaking NYT is printing it.

Many more studies about the efficacy of the restrictions, the cloth masks etc. It's been covered extensively. You just look at what you want to look at to suit your religion. Have you read a non fiction book or scholarly article since you left school? Have you ever read a scholarly journal article?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Go back and read my post above. I simply linked to the CDC causes of death data for 2020, which had a ranking showing Covid at #3 and suicide below the top 10. What interpretation or ideology did I attach to this?

Again, for the usual minority here who claim that lockdowns did more harm than Covid itself, with a bunch of handwaving arguments--have you looked at Sweden?

[and oh, not that it's your business, but since you seem incapable of arguing in a public forum without personal insults: I've authored 7 refereed publications. And have probably read, digested, and cited several hundred "scholarly" articles. ]

Old 05-02-2022, 06:32 PM

"Covid" numbers could just as easily be inflated as deflated. Excess deaths can be the result of numerous causes both directly and indirectly related to COVID including factors relating to the COVID response.

Have to say, for someone who comes here nearly daily insinuating intellectual inferiority and moral depravity with nearly everyone you disagree with, you really toss that "personal insult" ruse around quite a bit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/fi...-Mortality.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts