Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 08:14 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
When would be a good time?

I've heard "way too premature" a lot over the last two years. "Way too premature" to let fans into sporting events. "Way too premature" to let little kids go to school without adults screaming at them to keep their faces covered. "Way too premature" to let a dying person's loved ones be in the same room as them.

Forgive me, but I think I've become conditioned to think anyone who utters the phrase "way too premature" has absolutely no clue what they're talking about, and we should do the exact opposite of what they say.

You mean like when they said "way too premature to shut the borders" in February of 2020???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 08:16 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Fair enough, but you need to appreciate the fact that many had vastly different experiences than yourself and in cases would be under the same increased stressors regardless of how the government stepped up (and in some cases would have been made worse by laxer measures and the higher spread that would have resulted in).
I certainly do understand that, but as far as I'm concerned the response didn't step up and protect those whom should have been most protected and spent way too much time doing other things that made no sense. The absence of nonsensical measures does not imply lax measures, it means focused measures based on what was known very early about this virus and how respiratory viruses of this nature behave in general. Unfortunately, a culture of terror was propagated that made matters much worse for many people. That culture of nonsense and terror (should I say cult) continues to appear each day right on this board.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I certainly do understand that, but as far as I'm concerned the response didn't step up and protect those whom should have been most protected and spent way too much time doing other things that made no sense. The absence of nonsensical measures does not imply lax measures, it means focused measures based on what was known very early about this virus and how virus's behave in general. Unfortunately, a culture of terror was propagated that made matters much worse for many people. That culture of nonsense and terror (should I say cult) continues to appear each day right on this board.

I obviously wasn't talking about "nonsensical" measures. That's a whole other topic.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:25 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
You mean like when they said "way too premature to shut the borders" in February of 2020???
Yes, that's another example. People who don't understand the problem, or do understand the problem and have an interest in suppressing discussion/action around it, spewing BS about it being "way too premature" to solve the problem.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:27 PM

No, the nonsensical is definitely part of this discussion. Sending people with symptoms home without treatment until they need ICU, not focusing attention on the most vulnerable, keeping young healthy people at home while sending older or unhealthy people out to do their jobs, masking outdoors, zero focus on improving personal health, lots of nonsense to go around.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:36 PM

Quote:
No, the nonsensical is definitely part of this discussion. Sending people with symptoms home without treatment until they need ICU, not focusing attention on the most vulnerable, keeping young healthy people at home, masking outdoors, lots of nonsense to go around.

Well you were responding to my post. And when I said "laxer measures", I don't recall mentioning any of those.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:41 PM

Well the random and arbitrary extended restrictions are attributed to the collateral damage, which was the topic at hand. Lots of money made on this virus by lots of people and corporations. Lots of political capital gained as well. Follow the money and ask questions. Cui Bono?

Old 05-02-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Well the random and arbitrary extended restrictions are attributed to the collateral damage, which was the topic at hand. Lots of money made on this virus by lots of people and corporations. Follow the money and ask questions.

Then I would have been referring to effective measures that also have collateral damage (a very real thing). And those dilemmas are often a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario (while minimizing the overall damage); to the detriment of those who can only settle for a black and white/winner take all answer to everything. If the world was that simple, we wouldn't need leaders.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:56 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Then I would have been referring to effective measures that also have collateral damage (a very real thing). And those dilemmas are often a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario (while minimizing the overall damage); to the detriment of those who can only settle for a black and white/winner take all answer to everything. If the world was that simple, we wouldn't need leaders.
You're talking about yourself, right? We're the ones wondering about how a retrospective of costs and benefits might look. You're the one waving it off and saying it's "way too premature" for something like that.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You're talking about yourself, right? We're the ones wondering about how a retrospective of costs and benefits might look. You're the one waving it off and saying it's "way too premature" for something like that.

Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts