Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 05:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Recent quote from Anthony Fauci... "I think it's important for people to realize that, because, although immunity following infection and recovery does not last indefinitely, it does give a degree, variable degrees of protection against severe disease if you get re-infected. So, if you add up the people who've been infected, plus the people who've been vaccinated and hopefully boosted, you have a rather substantial proportion of the United States population that has some degree of immunity that's residual"

He is echoing comments I have made here recently, and was attacked for.

Yeah, well. He's been attacked too. Maybe by some of the same people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 10:32 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Recent quote from Anthony Fauci... "I think it's important for people to realize that, because, although immunity following infection and recovery does not last indefinitely, it does give a degree, variable degrees of protection against severe disease if you get re-infected. So, if you add up the people who've been infected, plus the people who've been vaccinated and hopefully boosted, you have a rather substantial proportion of the United States population that has some degree of immunity that's residual"

He is echoing comments I have made here recently, and was attacked for.
No one is attacking you for saying widespread infection confers some degree of immunity within a population. Get over yourself.

As David Byrne sang, "you're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything." That goes for you and Fauci both.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:59 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Yeah, well. He's been attacked too. Maybe by some of the same people.
To be honest, there isn't really a lot to (legitimately) object to in these statements - they're pretty safe, and this is a very important aspect to understand as far as where we are today - that's why I bothered to say it. I'll say it again. Between vaccination and Covid-19 infection, the vast majority of Americans have now acquired useful immunity to Covid-19. Yes, the virus continues to mutate and so infection and transmission are no longer attenuated much by this prior immunity, but hospitalization and death are greatly reduced through it. This is actually a good thing!

Of course there are caveats, some people have still had no exposure to Covid-19 antigens, people should still keep up with their vaccinations, some people have compromised immune systems and don't acquire useful immunity, and yes, the virus continues to mutate and it's difficult to predict its future with great certainty. But the population is in much better shape than it was in early 2020 with prior immunity, and we have a revved up vaccine development and distribution infrastructure as well as better knowledge and better agents for treatment. I am more optimistic than I have been at any time since early 2020.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-30-2022 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-30-2022, 09:57 AM

I heard on the radio yesterday someone comparing Covid now to AIDS in the 1980s. At first it was a terrifying and mysterious disease with no cure in sight, but then researchers started finding out some details about it that made it seem a lot more controllable. Not that either disease is going to go away or ever stop killing people, but for most of us most of the time, we can feel reasonably safe.

Of course AIDS has a much bigger component of lifestyle choice attached to it. But the "fear of the unknown" issue was definitely part of people's reaction to it when it started to become common.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:52 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
To be honest, there isn't really a lot to (legitimately) object to in these statements - they're pretty safe, and this is a very important aspect to understand as far as where we are today - that's why I bothered to say it. I'll say it again. Between vaccination and Covid-19 infection, the vast majority of Americans have now acquired useful immunity to Covid-19. Yes, the virus continues to mutate and so infection and transmission are no longer attenuated much by this prior immunity, but hospitalization and death are greatly reduced through it. This is actually a good thing!

Of course there are caveats, some people have still had no exposure to Covid-19 antigens, people should still keep up with their vaccinations, some people have compromised immune systems and don't acquire useful immunity, and yes, the virus continues to mutate and it's difficult to predict its future with great certainty. But the population is in much better shape than it was in early 2020 with prior immunity, and we have a revved up vaccine development and distribution infrastructure as well as better knowledge and better agents for treatment. I am more optimistic than I have been at any time since early 2020.
I think this post more or less says it all. Dealing with Covid is similar to dealing with a wave of common colds or at most, a mild flu epidemic. Neither needs to shut down society.

Of course I felt this way at the outset, in April 2020. We as a society, in hindsight, would have been better off with far less lockdown and restrictions. It was depressing seeing everything closed in the name of public health theater.
Quote:
Of course AIDS has a much bigger component of lifestyle choice attached to it. But the "fear of the unknown" issue was definitely part of people's reaction to it when it started to become common.
That is honest, but not politically possible to say at the time. I remember a November 1987 issue of Commentary Magazine made that point. See AIDS: Are Heterosexuals at Risk? But of course that was a "right wing" publication. DM me if you wish to see article and can't read because of paywall, with your email address. I PDF'd article and am happy to send.

Last edited by jbgusa; 05-01-2022 at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-01-2022, 11:01 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
It's interesting that poor dear Dr Fauci was also at the center of the AIDS epidemic. The poor attacked soul.

https://markhyman.substack.com/p/fau...y-backlash?s=r

https://www.inquisitr.com/6497049/an...g-aids-crisis-

Old 05-02-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We as a society, in hindsight, would have been better off with far less lockdown and restrictions. It was depressing seeing everything closed in the name of public health theater.

Would you care to write down the number of people in the USA who have died of COVID, and then say "We shouldn't have done so many things in an attempt to stop this"?

Better still, imagine saying it in public, with your real identity known. Not anonymously, like here.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:21 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Would you care to write down the number of people in the USA who have died of COVID, and then say "We shouldn't have done so many things in an attempt to stop this"?

Better still, imagine saying it in public, with your real identity known. Not anonymously, like here.
Well said. What's depressing is attending a funeral for a previously healthy 51-year-old, and seeing his two teenagers try to cope with the sudden loss of their father. Much more depressing than seeing stores closed, believe me.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:46 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Apparently some people have little to no regard for the many many lives lost as a result of the measures.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 05-02-2022 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 05:16 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Apparently some people have little to no regard for the many many lives lost as a result of the measures.
Cited with zero evidence, of course. Covid was the #3 cause of death in 2020 (when most of the "lockdowns" occurred). Suicide dropped below the top 10.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts