Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 09:13 PM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I mean, you can criticize masks and still be factual, say something like "Masks won't prevent all air-borne Covid transmission". Which is fine, but for some people, that isn't dramatic enough. It doesn't make people angry and fearful. So instead we got "Masks are utterly useless for preventing disease, but they can do grave harm!!!"... "Masks are a government plot to condition the people to accepting government instructions. How long can it be before they tell us to make our way to the gas chambers???". The sad thing is, all of that stuff worked, and the crazier it got, the more that people seemed to want to believe it. That's why I only occasionally weigh in here. It's really not worth it to try to argue with the people who want to believe the nonsense - nothing you can say will sway their rock-solid faith in these lies a single millimeter.
I think the crazy stuff is promoted by people who wish to turn their opposition into cartoons.

For example, I realize the benefits of wearing a mask in public, but since the vaccines came out, I no longer think they should be mandated by the government. Some might lump me into the anti-mask/masks can kill you camp, but clearly I am not. They would do that to prevent me from having my opinion taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 04:54 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I think the crazy stuff is promoted by people who wish to turn their opposition into cartoons.

For example, I realize the benefits of wearing a mask in public, but since the vaccines came out, I no longer think they should be mandated by the government. Some might lump me into the anti-mask/masks can kill you camp, but clearly I am not. They would do that to prevent me from having my opinion taken seriously.
I think there’s a spectrum with the crazy stuff. Most of what I’ve heard is hyperbole. People who are frustrated and making extreme comparisons for emphasis, not because they actually believe that mask mandates are the same thing as living under Hitler in Nazi Germany. Of course there are a handful of them, even on this forum, who do actually believe the crazy stuff. The latter are either flat out nuts or completely devoid of reason and perspective. Maybe both.

I think of the crazies as a distracting sideshow that fluctuates between sad and wildly entertaining. But there is room for actual debate on the topic. And whether you agree or not, there are plenty of reasonable arguments to be made (and plenty have been made) against mask requirements (especially now). Not everyone’s a conspiracy nut, but they sure do distract from the people with reasonable stances on the topic and it’s sometimes hard to weed out the hyperbole from the actual crazy.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:09 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think there’s a spectrum with the crazy stuff. Most of what I’ve heard is hyperbole. People who are frustrated and making extreme comparisons for emphasis, not because they actually believe that mask mandates are the same thing as living under Hitler in Nazi Germany. Of course there are a handful of them, even on this forum, who do actually believe the crazy stuff. The latter are either flat out nuts or completely devoid of reason and perspective. Maybe both.

I think of the crazies as a distracting sideshow that fluctuates between sad and wildly entertaining. But there is room for actual debate on the topic. And whether you agree or not, there are plenty of reasonable arguments to be made (and plenty have been made) against mask requirements (especially now). Not everyone’s a conspiracy nut, but they sure do distract from the people with reasonable stances on the topic and it’s sometimes hard to weed out the hyperbole from the actual crazy.
Totally agree. There are a couple of ways to look at it though (at least), the absolutely crazy mofos (this is like nazis, its communism, a world order power grab, etc) could be seen as more extreme so that the more down to earth people questioning the mandates and wanting to engage in legit public policy discussion could be relatively moderate and seen as such. Sadly, that isn't the case this time. The outlandish cray-crays are so far out there and so bombastic with their claims, that even being associated with them is a third rail. It's like these fringers have really scuttled what they're advocating by being so nuts.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:32 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Totally agree. There are a couple of ways to look at it though (at least), the absolutely crazy mofos (this is like nazis, its communism, a world order power grab, etc) could be seen as more extreme so that the more down to earth people questioning the mandates and wanting to engage in legit public policy discussion could be relatively moderate and seen as such. Sadly, that isn't the case this time. The outlandish cray-crays are so far out there and so bombastic with their claims, that even being associated with them is a third rail. It's like these fringers have really scuttled what they're advocating by being so nuts.
Sadly I'm in that situation; middle of the road, anti-mask, pro-vaxx.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:13 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Our best indicator is trending in the right direction again: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/...water-numbers/

Old 04-22-2022, 10:43 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Our best indicator is trending in the right direction again: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/...water-numbers/
Hope it's not a blip! I think we can all use a carefree summer!

Old 04-22-2022, 11:11 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Maybe 10% of my 6hr flight was masked today. None of the crew.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:02 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
at least this didn't happen on your flight:

https://www.tmz.com/2022/04/21/mike-...ies-passenger/

Old 04-22-2022, 12:45 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Ooh the plot thickens. Relatives had a gathering over Easter weekend, and well, you know the drill. Up to this point I hadn't even known of any who had gotten a test thinking they might have had it. Even the kids got it. Showing symptoms but sounds like nothing more than the flu. Course they all got the vaccine, even the kids...

Old 04-27-2022, 03:11 PM

12,453 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Recent quote from Anthony Fauci... "I think it's important for people to realize that, because, although immunity following infection and recovery does not last indefinitely, it does give a degree, variable degrees of protection against severe disease if you get re-infected. So, if you add up the people who've been infected, plus the people who've been vaccinated and hopefully boosted, you have a rather substantial proportion of the United States population that has some degree of immunity that's residual"

He is echoing comments I have made here recently, and was attacked for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts