Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 03:09 PM

295 posts, read 592,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsgonetrucking View Post
I have lived in Albuquerque since 1994. I came here from Sioux Falls SD.
Having lived in a smaller city, and growing up in a small town in rural Kentucky, I would not recommend coming here with small children to raise.
The culture is definately biased/geared toward hispanic. The schools are at the bottom of the national graph, and again geared toward the hispanics (both those born here and the ILLEGALS ALIENS from South America, who are taking over the schools). The land and housing lots are way over priced. Water is scarce and city water is expensive. The Job market is sketchy at best. Wages are WELL BELOW the national average.
Healthcare is difficult to get. (shortage of doctors, nurses, dentists). The GANGS are moving in from Mexico, California, and elswhere. There is nothing for kids to do here except for a small amusement park in Albuquerque. So they end up trying drugs, teenage sex. and other things they should not.
I would recommend a smaller city somewhere in the midwest. Even though the winters are harsh in the northern states in the midwest, the atmosphere for raising children is far above anything here in Albuquerque.
This is the most hilarious post I have ever seen on this forum. By the way, Our minimum wage is above the federal level lol.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:12 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,066,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
This is the most hilarious post I have ever seen on this forum. By the way, Our minimum wage is above the federal level lol.
I started to write a retort to it but better judgement got me and figured it was not worth it.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,192,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
I started to write a retort to it but better judgement got me and figured it was not worth it.
True, but thank goodness we now know about the threat from South America. I wonder if the illegals are from Peru or Venezuela.. can't be Brazilian because I haven't heard Portuguese here.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM

186 posts, read 466,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
That is great!! I was going to point out that I'm currently in the Midwest, and that the wages where I live are worse than the wages I have seen posted in NM for my current job.

And of course there is a shortage of nurses and doctors....that's happening all over the nation, doesn't matter what city you live in.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM

811 posts, read 2,942,659 times
Quote:
Having lived in a smaller city, and growing up in a small town in rural Kentucky, I would not recommend coming here with small children to raise.
The culture is definately biased/geared toward hispanic. The schools are at the bottom of the national graph, and again geared toward the hispanics (both those born here and the ILLEGALS ALIENS from South America, who are taking over the schools). The land and housing lots are way over priced. Water is scarce and city water is expensive. The Job market is sketchy at best. Wages are WELL BELOW the national average.
Healthcare is difficult to get. (shortage of doctors, nurses, dentists). The GANGS are moving in from Mexico, California, and elswhere. There is nothing for kids to do here except for a small amusement park in Albuquerque. So they end up trying drugs, teenage sex. and other things they should not.
I would recommend a smaller city somewhere in the midwest. Even though the winters are harsh in the northern states in the midwest, the atmosphere for raising children is far above anything here in Albuquerque.

LOL.....alrighty then!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,310,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
.. can't be Brazilian..
Based on personal experience, Brazillians in ABQ are more plentiful than you'd think.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,176,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I wonder if the illegals are from Peru or Venezuela.. can't be Brazilian because I haven't heard Portuguese here.
The current issue of Time Mag. has an article with a pie chart that shows the largest number of Latino migrants to the USA come from Mexico (no surprise there), followed by Guatemala and El Salvador.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,035,073 times
I've been away from NM for about 7 months now. I miss it dearly. Go figure. I guess I had great friends, community life, but no job. I love NM. The people, culture, and breweries. Great beer. I'm living in Honolulu of all places looking after my dad, but hope to move back to ABQ after he leaves us. Anyway ABQ is an under the radar city, not hip and gentrified like Denver, Austin, Portland ...etc.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM

14 posts, read 24,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I thought about moving back to Albuquerque but I am bit hesitant because of the following reasons:

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: Beautiful skies, mountains are all great but after a while it is almost as if the beauty of the state fades away when you are poor and cannot find a good job.

"Land of manana" attitude to life: "No problem, we will get it done" type of attitude, but in reality nothing gets done also known as chronic incompetence

Low standards/Low expectations culture: Very prevalent in Albuquerque and the Land of Enchantment.

Anyways, how do you deal with these things? Are you happy in Albuquerque? Ever thought about leaving, if so WHY?
You've done a great job encapsulating the Land of Entrapment - And there's only one way to deal with it. Leave. New Mexicans will never change - even if they could get motivated to do so.

Manana attitude? My AC is out. 100 degrees. I can't get a call back from my landlord. Of course, they're HVAC guy came out - after missing three appointments without a call - and he didn't have a ladder. A plumber without a ladder. Only in New Mexico.

Low standards? Try no standards. And heaven help you if you actually get frustrated with the complete incompetence here. People look at you as though you're nuts for expecting anyone to do they're job.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:25 AM

14 posts, read 24,491 times
Quote:
Great post! And have you noticed that the New Mexicans replying don't really have much substantive to say against your points - they just make fun of them?

Biased towards Hispanic? If you're not Hispanic, give up any hope of a job or a social life. We're outsiders. That'll never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque