Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM

195 posts, read 422,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
^agree, but to some of us it's more of a rat race compared to where we were from. I'm from a smaller area in Illinois (Quad Cities) and Albuquerque seems nearly overwhelming to me, so it's very subjective and just varies where you're coming from. But it's beautiful here and 100x better than where I was previously.
I'm from rural northwest Missouri and live in Santa Fe, and even it is overwhelming. But I agree that here is 100X better than where I came from, although I even miss it. It will always be home. If Santa Fe is overwhelming to me, one can only imagine how Alb. would be if I lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
You bring up a very good point. If someone is coming from a rural area, ABQ might be more "big city" than they are used to. If someone is coming from a major city, then ABQ (and all of NM, for that matter) might be too laid-back. In order to be happy, someone just has to want to live in ABQ because they love what it "is" instead of "what they want it to be in their minds".
And that's why I like Santa Fe. I like it for what is is. You either have to accept that or move on.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,969,246 times
Dislike: people who slowly walk across the street in the middle of the block, at night, when it's clear that if I don't very nearly slam on the brakes I will hit them (and I am not speeding). I'm not intending to play chicken with you idiots, I really am barely seeing you in time.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,324,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Dislike: people who slowly walk across the street in the middle of the block, at night, when it's clear that if I don't very nearly slam on the brakes I will hit them (and I am not speeding). I'm not intending to play chicken with you idiots, I really am barely seeing you in time.
I drive Central Ave in the morning and afternoon, and I can assure you.. it's not just at night.

Darwin, for the win.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,969,246 times
I see it during the day too, but it's worse at night when I can't see them from as far away.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,224,462 times
Situations like that, I usually realize that they're likely intoxicated, and that it would have not been worth ruining my night over hitting someone even if they deserved it.

I also realize that it's highly likely they tempt fate on a regular basis like that, and someday someone will hit them. The majority of fatalities in traffic accidents involving alcohol are pedestrians.

Also worth making the distinction between crosswalk, parking lot, and jaywalking. Many motorists don't realize pedestrians and bicycles sometimes have the right of way.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM

713 posts, read 1,851,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Situations like that, I usually realize that they're likely intoxicated, and that it would have not been worth ruining my night over hitting someone even if they deserved it.

I also realize that it's highly likely they tempt fate on a regular basis like that, and someday someone will hit them. The majority of fatalities in traffic accidents involving alcohol are pedestrians.

Also worth making the distinction between crosswalk, parking lot, and jaywalking. Many motorists don't realize pedestrians and bicycles sometimes have the right of way.
According to this link, 4654 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in 2007. 49 percent involved alcohol, so that would be 2327.

Latest Pedestrian v. Auto Accident Statistics | The Legal Examiner Orlando

According to this link, there were 13,041 alcohol related traffic deaths in 2007. 2327 does not constitute a majority of the 13,041 fatalities.

Drunk Driving Accident Statistics: Alcohol-Related Car Crash Deaths

Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM

419 posts, read 1,003,573 times
I wish abq had more green grass, that's what I kinda dislike..

Also the shopping scene could be improved

and also I'd like to see central gentrified it has lots of potential

Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,083,407 times
I for one thank you for brining some class to us low class neanderthals.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM

19 posts, read 49,821 times
Well, it's not all negative here. I think the culture shock is coming back to ABQ after living in Montgomery County, MD (suburban DC) - very wealthy area -- for the last 12 years. Shocking difference in terms of wealth - personal, commercial, you name it. Been back here in ABQ for all of 6 weeks - still trying to re-adjust. Hard to beat the weather and outdoors here though. Not to mention the cost of living. Very affordable place. I'm going to give ABQ a shot!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 52,022,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla999 View Post
living in Montgomery County, MD (suburban DC)
Been there, worked in the area on and off since the 80's, still go back there on occasion to work and scoop up some money. I broke free and escaped from the area April 27th 1999... I'm glad you enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque