Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times

Advertisements

This hick wishes you farewell.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 PM

30 posts, read 101,056 times
SoOooO... I've almost lived here a year and now....and now I'm trying to figure out what the pro's of ABQ are?
That's a hard question. Hmmmmm. I'll make it simple.

1.) The Sandia's are beautiful, especially when the sun sets.
2.) The Sunshine is great.
3.) Many different kinds of Chili's and Salsa's to choose from
4.) I'd say Culture and History, but it's really sad how most Natives were missionized and forced into Rez's/Pueblos
5.) Cool little lizards.

Ok...I take it easy on the con's
1.) LOT'S of DUST! Yea..It's a desert, so what else is new?
2.) Wind. When it's blows...it blows. Along with all that dust and dirt.
3.) Too dry. Again, another desert issue.
4.) The driving here SUCKS! Too many people run red lights here. And what's up with all the drink drivers?
5.) Too much Military.
6.) CENTIPEDES. What's up with those GIANT Centipedes? Are they radioactive? Those things are HUGE and gross! Augh.

I guess ABQ is great if your on a vacation and want to visit some place unique.

Last edited by Wigglefish; 03-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-01-2012, 03:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglefish View Post
6.) CENTIPEDES. What's up with those GIANT Centipedes? Are they radioactive? Those things are HUGE and gross! Augh.
No they are not radioactive. Fast too huh?

But there are those who claim we don't have them in the city of Albuquerque... Is that where you saw them?

Rich

Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglefish View Post
SoOooO... I've almost lived here a year and now....and now I'm trying to figure out what the pro's of ABQ are?
That's a hard question. Hmmmmm. I'll make it simple.

4.) I'd say Culture and History, but it's really sad how most Natives were missionized and forced into Rez's/Pueblos

Ok...I take it easy on the con's

5.) Too much Military.
Fail.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No they are not radioactive. Fast too huh?

But there are those who claim we don't have them in the city of Albuquerque... Is that where you saw them?

Rich
I've never seen one in Albuquerque at any my homes. I have seen them in Belen and Placitas.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Fail.

Yeah, how often does the Military here affect every day citizens lives? Usually never unless you have super sensitive ears to the Planes and Heli's.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
I've never seen one in Albuquerque at any my homes. I have seen them in Belen and Placitas.
Have seen them in Rio Rancho. Probably have them deep on the west side; thinking Ventana Ranch area.

Can't speak for the "Natives", but I sure do hate it when people force me to live in my house.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 11,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I thought about moving back to Albuquerque but I am bit hesitant because of the following reasons:

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: Beautiful skies, mountains are all great but after a while it is almost as if the beauty of the state fades away when you are poor and cannot find a good job.

"Land of manana" attitude to life: "No problem, we will get it done" type of attitude, but in reality nothing gets done also known as chronic incompetence

Low standards/Low expectations culture: Very prevalent in Albuquerque and the Land of Enchantment.

Anyways, how do you deal with these things? Are you happy in Albuquerque? Ever thought about leaving, if so WHY?
Your perception is your reality; sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. You should probably stay put.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 AM

69 posts, read 186,581 times
Default New Mexico vs California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat
I thought about moving back to Albuquerque but I am bit hesitant because of the following reasons:

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: Beautiful skies, mountains are all great but after a while it is almost as if the beauty of the state fades away when you are poor and cannot find a good job.

"Land of manana" attitude to life: "No problem, we will get it done" type of attitude, but in reality nothing gets done also known as chronic incompetence

Low standards/Low expectations culture: Very prevalent in Albuquerque and the Land of Enchantment.

Anyways, how do you deal with these things? Are you happy in Albuquerque? Ever thought about leaving, if so WHY?
-Republocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent3939 View Post
Your perception is your reality; sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. You should probably stay put.
Wow. This one really caught my eye. Repubocrat is NOT describing New Mexico. Instead he is virtually 1200 miles to the west, describing the devaluation of the work ethic of the Coastal Californian (and also in Oregon) over the past 5 years, with the recession.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Texas, are not experiencing the severe recession plaguing the west coast. New Mexico and Texas now have a much stronger work ethic than the west coast. California was once the best state in the US. However today it may be the worst (economically). Today NM and Texas and also Utah can be proud of their economy with lower unemployment rates than California (6% vs. 12%). NM is gaining the jobs that it lost much faster than most Western states.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 AM

69 posts, read 186,581 times
Default Abq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel13 View Post
Truncated
Cons:
1) Crime. There's no getting around the fact that ABQ has a higher-than-average crime rate ... Screwing public servants will only serve to ruin morale and in turn, make the city less safe. ... Sprawl ....
Very sorry to hear of your crime story as it's now quite common on the left coast in California and Oregon since our recession is now much worse than anywhere in the US. I'd like to know what state is worse - between NM - versus CA and Oregon. City-Data crime stats for ABQ closing below 500 for last year is good, but not perfect. I wonder if crime is better or worse in ABQ compared to when I lived there several years ago.

As for your concerns about sprawl, that won't happen due to the mid region council of governments - MRCOG -

www.mrcog-nm.gov/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I would not encourage anyone to move anywhere without a job lined up.
It's impossible to line up a job in advance, coming from 12%+ unemployment and no recent employment references in oregon or california. There is no construction out here. None. Lots of homeless. People want to build homes and businesses, but can't.

How do the locals feel about this? Do you advise that we consider moving to NM, or for some of us, moving back - given the NM 6% unemployment ???

Also, since many of us read all these statistics, are millions coming in droves from California, Arizona, Oregon, and Florida? Do you want us, or not? (sarcasm intended, but at the same time, seriously, is there any demand for out of state unemployed who WANT to work.)

Last edited by JuniperRidge1; 03-02-2012 at 12:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque