Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,336,008 times

Advertisements

I'd say fear of crime in ABQ would be something I'd defiantly consider if I were involved with some kind of gang related or criminal enterprise. Seems to be a lot of criminal on criminal violence in town.

But I'm not, so it's not a fear I have. For perspective; I'm far more fearful of my property tax bill, than being mugged/murdered/robbed.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM

26,525 posts, read 52,162,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Thanks Rich,

I just read them all.
Good. There will be a pop quiz at High Noon!

Quote:
Any comments wrt my questions?
To be honest I have pretty much burned out on negativity... The basic question? "Tell me What You Dislike/Hate About Albuquerque" I will try and answer:
1. Barking dogs. There is a thread on the subject someplace.

2. Careless/unsafe drivers. I once drove a wrecker with a Highway Patrol contract. That and two other things slowed me down...

3. People who say: Why don't we have a xxxxx like we do in yyyyy. The technology exists to determine what stores we have here. If we don't have it here and it's that important, go someplace where you will be happy...

4. Cell phones. I understand the radio frequency modulation schemes and understand the A to D process from a previous life. I am amazed with the technology. Then perhaps some smart kid figured how to cram GPS in it, I understand that technology also. We use to have a big "GPS" truck to climb into to find out where we were... If I have to sit in Wendy's while munching on a cheese burger having to listen to someone else telling someone what they are eating, I might go ballistic... I do not and have and never carried a cell phone.

5. Fake people. How polite can I say it? Over the years they have spurted certain key words or buzz words which they probably learned in a social or managers course because they were losers and had to "un-lose" themselves... Some of these words: Joe is a "People person". "Oh I just love the culture." "I want diversity."... Errrrr... I don't know, Maybe that makes no sense... It probably does not make sense to the target audience...

6. People who hate too much, too often, too close to me...

Quote:
It seems crime is a bit of a problem: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Crime is a problem in New Mexico. Maybe that's why I live in Rio Rancho? Maybe more people should move to Dozier, Alabama, Malta, Illinois or Roxie, Mississippi the top 3 safest cities according to City-Data: https://www.city-data.com/top26.html#ixzz1ckhTUFHc

Some people might benefit from some security/safety classes which are many times taught by local law enforcement personnel.

Quote:
Thanks for all the great photos.
Not sure which ones, but I have been practicing for 50+ years, I think I'm getting the hang of it....

Rich

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:02 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM

662 posts, read 1,460,397 times
I have only lived here for three months, but my biggest concern was crime and also the quality of public schools after reading these forums.

We bought in the far northeast heights, and so far I have felt very safe and haven't seen or heard of any crime in my neighborhood or around me. In Austin and Plano Texas I saw more property crime than I have seen here. I remember my first week in Plano, a guy was murdered in my neighborhood, and Plano is considered a very safe suburb.

From the criteria in your original post, I think ABQ will be perfect for you. I love green, but the beauty of the mountains and the valley here are very striking.

I miss the shopping and restaurants of Dallas and Austin, but there is enough shopping here to keep me happy. Coming from Alberta, I would think the choice is better here for you.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM

241 posts, read 716,623 times
Thanks everyone,

It's nice to hear some positives among all the negative posters online. I understand that forums can lead to more negative posters than positive ones.

Can someone name me the neighbouhoods that are considered "the foothills" areas?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,336,008 times
Everything from Four Hills (actually in the Manzanitas - northern most part of the Manzano Mts) north to the Sandia Indian Reservation... and mostly on the east side of Tramway Blvd.

Four Hills
High Desert

Maybe this site will help?
Albuquerque Foothills Area

Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 AM

462 posts, read 1,015,027 times
Quote:
Remote is not a problem for me -- being near mountains, hiking, biking is more important. Sun and warmth are important. I currently live in a remote city with NOTHING around it (no mountains, no forests, no desert, no ocean) for a 3 hour drive and with temperatures of -30 Celsius (feels like -50) for 4 months or more of the year and 2 months of summer. I can now walk outside in the winter and actually tell the difference between -10 and -20 and -30. Not my favourite life skill.

Really, no green? I understand it is the high desert, but I see quite a few trees in photos of Albuquerque. Even the houses I see on zillow have grass yards with some trees in comparison to the desert yards
Daveydoe... I can relate with what you experience in Edmonton. Dh and I were in Anchorage, AK for 17 years and have been to Edmonton on one occasion; even worked for Edmonton Power Ltd at one point in Anchorage. For green areas, close to Albuquerque....... check out the East Mountain communities just east of Albuquerque (15 miles or less down the road). Communities in the mountains on the flip side of the Sandia mountains that face Albuquerque are: Cedar Crest, Sandia Park (others are Tijeras and Edgewood). Very green mountain areas with skiing as well.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-12-2011 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Please, no Real Estate ads. Send it to them in DM

Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,246 times
Crime is a factor here, but, coming from LA area. Have not seen alot of open drug dealing in the streets, very little graffiti, and less overt gang activity than California.

Poverty is very visible here but not treated like a crime like in California. Red light cameras going away, yay!

Really not very green but mountains do make up for brown surroundings.

People are nice to your face but be careful can stab you in the back easily.

Wages are alot lower here, even met an unemployed nurse.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 AM

10 posts, read 18,528 times
Default 2011-Whats new in ABQ- What has improved/gotten worse- What do I need to know before moving there now with my family-

Hi-

I basically picked New Mexico off the top of my head as a place to take our family to on a road trip from WA. state in 2007. I fell in love. I thought I was going to like Santa Fe better, so we spent more time there but I actually loved Albuquerque more. It was raw, to say the least- culturally diverse, nice people, a little rough around the edges but I just felt like it was a place I would love to be. Weird? I dont know.

I grew up in a city ( Portland, Or.) and enjoy artistic- fun people and also want my children to be open minded and culturally diverse... That being said, we are selling our house and on the transfer list to move in the next year or so and now I need to get serious about figuring out exactly what area-schools-etc. I need to be watching and what areas-places to avoid.

We casually looked at houses while there in 2007. I hated Rio Rancho- I do not like carbon-copy homes and false security. I actually kinda liked Cedar Crest and even Edgewood but also some areas around downtown. I can be in the middle of a city or out of town and be happy. I am wondering if Edgewood is considered "nice" and if its grown at all since 2007? Cedar Crest is I think to secluded for me now- but I did like it.

I know Nob Hill is desirable but its hard for me online to visualize the area it seems pretty close to some areas I know to be bad. We have 3 children 11,10, 17 months (yes crazy people) but that doesnt mean I think we need to hide out in one of those rio areas pretending bad things will never happen...

My husband and I both have pretty good jobs, we are in our 30's, and are just trying to connect with some locals and get some info on whats been going on in areas since we visited in 2007. Good and Bad-

Especially info on areas we might be able to get a 3 bed 2 bath under $250,000-( I like older homes with updates- loft style smaller places in the city- Im pretty open- just dont like track neighborhoods ) schools that are doing well- areas to avoid- issues the city is having- anything really.

Thanks for your time- I truly appreciate it!

Old 11-17-2011, 03:24 AM

14,209 posts, read 22,963,282 times
"Albuquerque" - "Weird Al" Yankovic

Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 AM

4,279 posts, read 9,252,300 times
LOL!

Took me some time to figure out why that video reference was posted, but it's obviously in response to this:

Quote:
Im pretty open- just dont like track neighborhoods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque