Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,462,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I'm moving from NM in about two weeks, not because of the people whom I've fund very genuine and friendly. I'm moving for family reasons. To me it takes about two years to break into a new place. It's up to you to reach out and become a part of the community. NM is a minority majority state sometimes that threatens people who are not used to that. I can see all perspectives expressed here. Most of it is human nature.

Why do people dislike CA or TX? Probably because they're islands onto themselves and are confident that they're the center of the universe.

Personally, I'm going to miss NM and hope to come back one day to live. Sometimes we bring our biases from where ever we move from? That shapes our perspectives, but might not be a reality where we relocated to. I'm moving back to HI to help take care my dad. I'm going to miss NM a lot. I have made lots of friends and have never regretted moving here.

I do wish NM had more issues to cover in the media besides crime, but I guess not enough goes on here to fill the airspace. TV contributes to NM image issue. I've lived in ABQ and Farmington and visited lots of places throughout the state. Embraced the locals, even though I may not agree with them always. Everyone has a perspective and it's ok to be different.

Good luck where ever you live. Make the best of it.
Sorry you have to go, but glad you got a chance to check it out here, I enjoyed your input and perspectives in this forum. Come back and visit the NM forum even after you move away... keep a foot in the door!

Best to you and your dad. Aloha!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM

2,643 posts, read 3,702,125 times
PS: I forgot to mention -- the first year will be great. Like being on a long vacation. You won't be very aware of the bad things about ABQ until the end of your first year. So RENT the first year -- or two.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:19 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,040,206 times
It's funny that TX has the only accurate history of the American West. No mention is made of the NM version of history in TX or the fact that NM has its own capital miles away from TX. Or California being a separate Mexican State. TX is just larger than life in the eyes of Texans. Same goes for Californians and New Yorkers. Our three poles of culture in the US. Why doesn't Texas claim Mexico while its at it?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM

662 posts, read 1,453,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
Why do people in New Mexico not like Texans?

By the way, I'm a Texan asking this question.
I just moved from Texas to New Mexico. I lived in Plano and Austin for about 11 years total. I'm from Wisconsin originally, and my theory is that much like Wisconsinites dislike people from Illinois--especially Chicagoans, New Mexicans don't like Texans.

Both Wisconsin and NM natives are not as wealthy as most big city Texans and Chicagoans. They see these people come and use their beautiful states as their playground, buying houses and driving the price of real estate up. They see these people with the fancy cars and snooty ways looking down on the "hicks" they see as the locals. Texans even more than Chicagoans think their state is the best in the world and tend to brag a lot.

With all that being said, I'm sure most people from New Mexico or from Wisconsin for that matter are friendly to their out-of-state brethren until they feel those people being rude or disrespectful. In fact, I have seen many happy marriages between cheeseheads and flatlanders.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:22 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,484,741 times
Why is it when someone posts that they are moving to ABQ some folks feel the need to tell them what a huge mistake they're making or how X place is so much better, rather than responding to the specific questions the OP is asking....?

Every place I've lived across the country has been different, with different folks, but I've enjoyed them all in different ways. I also recognize that others have different viewpoints, interests, and likes and dislikes. My reality is not their reality. I would never try to force my viewpoint of a place on someone else.

It's great to share opinions. But when the OP asks what's been going on here since 2007 and what areas here are good or bad, telling them to be prepared to be bored for the rest of their life is not helpful or responsive to their questions and is frankly pretty arrogant. It's as if you're saying to them that they are stupid to be moving here and you know much more than them what is best for them. Which you don't.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:23 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,462,559 times
Good grief. If anyone is bored here, the problem is with them, not the place. I can't keep up with everything I want to do. After 22 years here I'm still discovering new things I want to do, and have dozens of things I enjoy doing and places I like visiting over and over again. I can't imagine what it's like to be bored. That is so sad.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,187,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
It's funny that TX has the only accurate history of the American West.
I seriously doubt that past history of borders enters anyone's mind when they are considering their reasons for disliking one another. It's much more likely to have something to do with general resentment toward outsiders, wherever they come from (IMHO). Furthermore, I seriously doubt that many people even know their history well enough for borders to figure in the equation.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM

I could write a long list of things I don't like about ABQ (and, yes, I am leaving), but I'd just be repeating what others have said. Do take this into consideration: I have a friend who teaches at UNM in environmental studies and he says that, unless things change drastically -- and it doesn't look as though that will happen -- ABQ won't be here in 20 years because we won't have any water. He's leaving in a few years.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM

They are stupid for moving here. Romanticizing 'raw' is not bright, especially when there are children involved. Schools are bad (consequently, CNM, our community college, is remedial high school), crime is bad, medical care is bad. And, yes, ABQ is boring. Just tell me ALL the things there are to do here, besides, eat too much, get drunk and drive like a bat out of H. I know people who were born and raised here, have extended family here, and would give anything to be able to move someplace else. "Because there is nothing to do here."

Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 AM

372 posts, read 712,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I could write a long list of things I don't like about ABQ (and, yes, I am leaving), but I'd just be repeating what others have said. Do take this into consideration: I have a friend who teaches at UNM in environmental studies and he says that, unless things change drastically -- and it doesn't look as though that will happen -- ABQ won't be here in 20 years because we won't have any water. He's leaving in a few years.
Hmm, I think you better ask him what he is basing that assertion on since it doesn't seem to be in line with most experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.