Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM

366 posts, read 870,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
It's impossible to line up a job in advance, coming from 12%+ unemployment and no recent employment references in oregon or california. There is no construction out here. None. Lots of homeless. People want to build homes and businesses, but can't.

How do the locals feel about this? Do you advise that we consider moving to NM, or for some of us, moving back - given the NM 6% unemployment ???

Also, since many of us read all these statistics, are millions coming in droves from California, Arizona, Oregon, and Florida? Do you want us, or not? (sarcasm intended, but at the same time, seriously, is there any demand for out of state unemployed who WANT to work.)

If you don't have a job I guess it doesn't matter, you go where you think the best opportunity is. If you do have a job that is really good advice in this economy.

6.6% does not mean there is a demand for workers, while better than 12% no one is begging people to move to NM because we need workers. From my understanding the reason our unemployment rate is 'so low' is because people have been leaving NM in droves for better opportunities elsewhere.

If you are an engineer you should not find it a problem getting a job (although is Los Alamos laying people off that might change). As far as people who just 'want' to work getting jobs I have not seen that at all. Best would be if you come to New Mexico with the goal of creating jobs.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 AM

30 posts, read 101,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Have seen them in Rio Rancho. Probably have them deep on the west side; thinking Ventana Ranch area.

Yeah. We live in Rio Rancho and wow..my first encounter with a giant centipede actually scared the $hit out of me. It was evening and I thought it was a small rodent running across my floor at first.... so I ran to see what it was. I swear that centipede was was at least 5-6 inches long. And it was thick! No way can you kill those things. I had one lady tell me she threw one in her garbage disposal and chopped it up to make sure it was dead. Talk about desert survival for bugs. ewww....crunchy.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Fail.

I was told to go visit the Indian Pueblo Cultural center in Jemez.
We went during one of their celebrations.
There was a small craft show, some food vendors and Native dancers. It was very nice, however when I went to check out visitor center, I was greatly disappointed.
It mainly showed how the missionaries came and built schools and churches for the Americanization/integration of the Natives. Through the years you could see how the Natives were made into hopeless ghosts. I felt depressed after leaving the cultural center.
No wonder there is a problem with alcohol here. The oppression and depression is great. I'd probably have an issue with alcohol too if had to live in a land where my History screams out at me every day....but there was nothing I could do about it.

I see some Natives are trying to make the best of it, but seriously, how fair is that their land was taken from them and they were forced to live on the Rez. They lost their Freedoms, hopes and dreams. Most people are happy here because they they are either transplants from another state and are ignorant of the history of this oppressed land or they are just don't care. I'm white as white as can be, but I can't ignore the wrongs that others have caused on a people that belong here. The natives ARE the REAL people. I do my best to respect the land and the Native people. I have no power to change laws and give the land back, but I can speak out. Knowledge is Power.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,072,544 times
You probably need to move to Iceland. Native people were forced to live on reservations all across America, not just in NM.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,315,182 times
i'm a native New Mexican and i dont live on a 'Rez' and don't feel oppressed, depressed or driven to drink- except by naive (ignorant maybe) people who think us natives can't do anything on our own and blame outsiders for everything bad we feel that might have happened to us.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,613,977 times
Quote:
i'm a native New Mexican and i dont live on a 'Rez' and don't feel oppressed, depressed or driven to drink- except by naive (ignorant maybe) people who think us natives can't do anything on our own and blame outsiders for everything bad we feel that might have happened to us.
After living in Las Vegas for two years, a lot of native Las Vegans (there's a LOT more than people think) often blame people who are outsiders for all the city's problems

And after growing up in Orlando, another transient tourist town, a lot of natives here feel the same.

Albuquerque is a beautiful city btw, as I had posted in a previous thread here a few weeks ago, I was so impressed with the natural beauty of the city (I drove through around sunset, right when the Sandias were the famous color) that Im considering moving to Albuquerque when I finish school early next year.

Albuquerque had that "big city, but still small town" type feel to it similar to Jacksonville, FL. I drove through the city on I-40 fairly quickly, took maybe 20 minutes to travel between 98th St and Tramway. Although maybe thats because I "raced" through the city, if I did I apologize

One thing that REALLY caught my eye when I saw the cookie cutter neighborhoods on the west side of town, on the north side of 40 were the Pueblo style homes, I had never seen anything like that before and those were pretty cool, being from the east coast and all

But yeah, passing through Albuquerque during rush hour (around 5:30 PM) was a real experience, especially seeing the Sandias at that time of day

I still dont know much about your city but I hope I can take a trip out there and see what it's like before I decide to make a move

Old 03-03-2012, 12:25 AM

69 posts, read 186,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
If you don't have a job I guess it doesn't matter, you go where you think the best opportunity is. If you do have a job that is really good advice in this economy.

6.6% does not mean there is a demand for workers, while better than 12% no one is begging people to move to NM because we need workers. From my understanding the reason our unemployment rate is 'so low' is because people have been leaving NM in droves for better opportunities elsewhere.

If you are an engineer you should not find it a problem getting a job (although is Los Alamos laying people off that might change).
As far as people who just 'want' to work getting jobs I have not seen that at all. Best would be if you come to New Mexico with the goal of creating jobs.
Thanks for the info. And, with low business start up costs, that is definitely one of the things I like about Albuquerque (and New Mexico).

Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I've talked to the wrong crowd about things. I have some Native American freinds who are very passionate about the way things are and are NOT happy. Oh, well..Life goes on, and I'm glad your happy.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 8,937 times
Don't any of you actually like where you live? There are far more worse, more crime ridden, more Walmart infested areas. Why dwell on the negative. If it's that bad..move

Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria290 View Post
Don't any of you actually like where you live? There are far more worse, more crime ridden, more Walmart infested areas. Why dwell on the negative. If it's that bad..move
This thread was started over two years ago in June 2009, by a user in another state.

Some people never like where they are, there is someone always dwelling on the negative. Some people just have to say something, and people have various opinions.

I don't bash Walmart, so there is one of your negativeness...

There are over 500 replies to the original post, and the thread has been viewed over 85,000 times...

The title of this thread is "The Albuquerque Area and New Mexico Like/Dislike Thread" We like the Albuquerque Area, we had a home in Albuquerque, and moved to Rio Rancho. We moved out here to New Mexico by choice 13 years ago. I have been out prior over the years, the first time over 40 years ago. We do like where we live. We have or had kids and grand-kids out here. Almost every year we evaluate if we want to move again. We always just decide to stay.

If everyone really liked only spot, the whole world would be crushed to death in that one little spot... What else is there to say?

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque