Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevationnation View Post
It's cheaper than SF, you could always move.
That's what I did, but mainly because I found a better job down here. I miss Santa Fe sometimes but still glad I live in ABQ as I found a much better apartment to live in here as well.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 AM

38 posts, read 79,034 times
Hello again! I made a Albuquerque dislike around a year ago but I think it got merged with this one.
Well we have moved to Las Cruces from the ABQ area (lived in Los Lunas for 2 1/2 years and Tijeras 6 years) and let me tell you there is a HUGE difference between Northern and Southern NM. You cannot say that the state is all the same. I experienced a bit of a culture shock the first few weeks here.

There's actually alot of things I like about ABQ. Sandy hills, hot air balloons, block walls, the smell of green chile, tumbleweeds all come to mind when I think about the area. Loved how friendly the neighbors were and how the neighborhood came together during the holidays. Coming from Los Angeles that was a huge shocker. I loved playing in the neighborhood with all the kids. Summer nights playing softball in the drive way until our parents told us to come home. I loved exploring the fields (even though we weren't suppose to) and finding cool new places to hang out. Fall was amazing. In the 10 years I've lived in NM I actually never went to the balloon fiesta or state fair (guess I'm not a real New Mexican ) but fall was always amazing. Most likely because of the green chile and pumpkin patches. I loved how people would welcome you into their family even if you've only known them for a short time. That's how it was with my ex's family and to be honest I liked them more than him haha. There's probably alot more. I really can't put my finger on it but there's something special about it that's hard to forget. It might just be because I've lived half of my life there so I have some sentimental attachment to it.

Onto the negatives. I would say my image of ABQ is bittersweet. There are just as many depressing things as there are good. I remember in school alot of the kids looked homely. Most were raised by single moms and a few were abused. I didn't completely understand it back then but i really felt for these kids. I remember once hearing about a kid who was forced to sometimes live outside by their mom. Then there's the drug problem. Gosh, I remember a handful of people who lives were ruined by drugs. Families being torn apart, kids being taken away and put into homes, and many deaths. I remember our neighbor being caught for growing marijuana in his backyard. There's alot more but you catch my drift. I remember always seeing single mothers struggle. Sometimes I would just want to give them a hug and let them know someone cares. I remember seeing way too many crosses on the side of the road. Heartbreaking. Through my junior high/high school years I remembering it being hard to fit in. Being homeschooled didn't help, but kids were just intetested in drinking and drugs. Yes, I know that all of these problems are everywhere, but the thing is usually people turn their lives around. Here it seems like some don't change. They're on the same maturity level as they were in high school. Forgetting responsibilities and partying.

This past year in LC has been lovely so far. The palm trees are a nice change, the city reminds me of the good things of LA. I like how nice the houses are. I like the hot weather (call me crazy but I love 90 degree weather!) The Organ Mountains are so pretty and unique. The sunrises here are amazing. I love how you can be driving and see cactus one minute and then pecan orchards and cotton fields the next.

Now what I dont like is the creepy crawlies. Scorpions, centipedes, cockroaches, black widows, I do not like finding when I'm getting up for a drink of water in the middle of the night. Just found a wolf spider in my closet tonight which is why I'm up typing this. One thing I don't like, and this goes for ALL of New Mexico, is the very laid-back mentality. Unfortunately, it's rubbed off on me which had held some important goals back.

It is a great state, and I'll probably cry when I leave. In a few years after I get my associates in Business at DACC I will be going back to Southern California. I just don't see myself finding someone and having kids here. I'll definitely have to come back to stock up on green chile and Sadie's salsa :P

Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkey View Post
One thing I don't like, and this goes for ALL of New Mexico, is the very laid-back mentality. Unfortunately, it's rubbed off on me which had held some important goals back.
I think the key is to not confuse laid back with lazy. IMO laid back is a good thing: taking each day as it comes, trying to live more in the moment to enjoy life, and not getting too stressed out about things that happen over which you have little or no control.

But living in the moment doesn't mean you shouldn't plan for the future and have clear goals on how to achieve the future you want. if you can combine the ability to enjoy each day as it comes with planning for and working toward the life you want, that is a truly winning combination.

Good luck in whatever your future holds.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM

38 posts, read 79,034 times
I totally agree! I think it's the lack of professionalism that gets me. I remember a few months back I was dealing with NMSU and one of the staff referred to me as "you." My name isn't hard to pronounce :S

Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 AM

62 posts, read 169,550 times
In my opinon, the biggest issue with things to do in Albuquerque is related to everything closing early. I'd like to take a date out to the Aquarium or Zoo or museums...but they all seem to close at 5p.m.........

Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm813 View Post
In my opinon, the biggest issue with things to do in Albuquerque is related to everything closing early. I'd like to take a date out to the Aquarium or Zoo or museums...but they all seem to close at 5p.m.........
I do not know of many Aquariums or Zoos that routinely stay open late. There are some exceptions. For over 15 years, the Zoo Music Concert Series has had regional, national and international talent playing a variety of music, including country Latin rock, Afro-Cuban, Celtic, bluegrass, Cajun and pop-rock. Animal exhibits are open until 8 pm and the concert ends at 9:30 pm. Summer Nights takes place on Thursday nights each summer at the Garden and Aquarium. There have been sleepovers at the Aquarium, but that is for kids, not dates. But if that is the worst thing about Albuquerque, then I will continue to stay...

Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
One of the foremost and respected museums in the world, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, the "city that never sleeps" closes at 5:30pm except on Saturdays.

Makes the 5:00pm closing at Albuquerque's museums seem not so bad.

In general, I do agree that Albuquerque business closes shop early. Notably restaurants and bars.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,869 times
some cons:
-People from Albuquerque being unreasonably upset that someone says something bad about the city (usually in the realm of there is nothing to do here). Honestly, most of the 'rebuttles' of what to do here consist of the same things you can do in any city. The only exception is that there is 300+ days of sunlight here.
-Parts of I25 being 3 lanes only...
-the northbound central/i25 exit/merge lane where people only stack up on one lane.
-downtown drinking
-isotopes games are NOT cheap, a lot of MLB games are cheaper/tad bit more expensive. also, if most of you have never lived or grown up in a city with a major league team, it's worlds different than rooting for a minor league team (ABQ college teams don't count because they're not good).
-i understand there is a zoo here, botanical gardens, cultural center.. but every city has these and it does not make ABQ unique. it's also unreasonable to think that anyone here goes to these places more than once or twice in their life. hot air balloon ride, day trips around state, again.. not unique to albuquerque and can be done anywhere.

There is a lot to do here, but I can't believe someone mentioned "Getting a burrito at the Frontier" as something so exciting to do...

Yes, there is culture; Albuquerque Culture. Obviously not similar to other cities, but when there is a thread posted like this and y'all know people from bigger cities live in Albuquerque... how do you expect people not to compare it to a big city? If you're asking the pro's and con's of something, there has to be something to compare it against. You ABQ'ers shouldn't get so hostile when someone has a different opinion...

Point is, yes there is lots to do here; mostly on par with big cities. However, there isn't much (there is some,but like I said..not much) that is unique here that separates ABQ from the rest of the cities in the United States. I will compare the drinking scene to other cities (I've been spoiled though), but it can't be put to blame when 'downtown' is one street (nob hill doesn't count because its a series of spread out bars...not a 'scene').

Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,168 times
Best things:
The sun shines over 300 days per year, yet there are still four distinct seasons to enjoy.
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta in October.
The availability of the world's best green and red chile.
The spectacular view of the Sandia Mountains.
When you are in Albuquerque you get that, "We're not in Kansas anymore" feeling.
Lobo games at The Pit. The energy is like no other for an arena of that size.

Worst things:
The spring winds
Less choices for shopping (clothing, goods).
The "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" politics that goes on here (including relatives that get hired by the office
holders).
High car insurance costs due to the high rate of uninsured drivers
High water utility rates

Old 10-28-2012, 11:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,869 times
Man I forgot green chile. murphy's mule barn has the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque