Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:00 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
No rotten tomatoes but I have to say... really? You haven't met ANY educated people you can talk to who aren't out partying every night? That sounds like your failure, not Albuquerque's. Most of my friends here are very well-educated. It seems to me that if you succeed in making friends who share common interests and background, then it doesn't make much sense to complain about what people who you denigrate as "unintelligent" are discussing or doing in their free time.

Of course no twenty-somethings in Cleveland are still partying like they're 18. And the stats I see show Albuquerque Public School's graduation rate at 63%, while in Cleveland it's 54%.

I hate it when people come here and start getting uppity and complaining about problems we have that are actually worse in the place they moved from. Makes me see red.
Agreed. My wife and I have plenty of friends that are educated. Several with Graduate degrees. We also have friends that do not have College Degrees but all are driven, smart and intelligent people. My wife also doesn't have any of those 'talk **** behind their friends' backs.' friends. Then again, she will not put up with that crap.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times
How about offering boehmian some advice on places/groups she can visit where she can upgrade her acquaintances/friends? I agree some posters just want to whine and often aren't worth the time to type a reply. But IMO she appears to be trying to like ABQ but struggling to make the positive personal connections that make a place a home. Whining about her post without offering helpful suggestions doesn't seem much better than other whining.

Bohemian, I'm on the opposite side of life from age 28, so places and groups I might suggest are likely not a good match for your demographics. One suggestion I would offer is to check out the various meetup groups that match your interests - see Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup. If you're into outdoor activities, there are also a variety of local running, hiking and biking clubs.

Come on others, let's hear some more suggestions. How did you find the friends you have? What other places, groups, etc., would be good for a 28-year old to pursue?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:27 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
No rotten tomatoes but I have to say... really? You haven't met ANY educated people you can talk to who aren't out partying every night? That sounds like your failure, not Albuquerque's. Most of my friends here are very well-educated. It seems to me that if you succeed in making friends who share common interests and background, then it doesn't make much sense to complain about what people who you denigrate as "unintelligent" are discussing or doing in their free time.

Of course no twenty-somethings in Cleveland are still partying like they're 18. And the stats I see show Albuquerque Public School's graduation rate at 63%, while in Cleveland it's 54%.

I hate it when people come here and start getting uppity and complaining about problems we have that are actually worse in the place they moved from. Makes me see red.
Interesting, Cleveland has 11% of its residents with Bachelors Degree and 4% with Graduate. Albuquerque had 31% and 13%.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
How about offering boehmian some advice on places/groups she can visit where she can upgrade her acquaintances/friends? I agree some posters just want to whine and often aren't worth the time to type a reply. But IMO she appears to be trying to like ABQ but struggling to make the positive personal connections that make a place a home. Whining about her post without offering helpful suggestions doesn't seem much better than other whining.
It looks like you are whining about my post.

It varies by the individual's particular interests and pursuits, there are a million ways to meet people. She is not asking for advice, she merely wants to "vent" and proclaim her "superiority." I do not give advice when it is not requested. She may be too wrapped up with the boyfriend to spend the time it takes to pursue and cultivate other friendships. But that's not an excuse to put down the whole city with her blanket statements. With that kind of chip on her shoulder it must be hard to make friends.

It's the way I was raised... you don't put other people down who have been less fortunate than you, or who made different choices, even ones you think are "wrong."

OTOH I have no problem knocking people off the pedestal they put themselves on.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM

147 posts, read 390,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Interesting, Cleveland has 11% of its residents with Bachelors Degree and 4% with Graduate. Albuquerque had 31% and 13%.
So how many people does that equate to each city since Cleveland is much larger than ABQ?

Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM

159 posts, read 511,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
So how many people does that equate to each city since Cleveland is much larger than ABQ?
First off, the city of Cleveland (which those states are based off of) has about 390,000 people compared to Albuquerque's 550,000. Secondly, it doesn't matter what the populations of the cities are when you're looking at percentages. So either way you look at it, ABQ has a much larger population with higher education than Cleveland does.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
It's more than just a cities population. There are a few factors, one:

The Cleveland metropolitan area, or Greater Cleveland as it is more commonly known, is the metropolitan area of Northeast Ohio that contains Cleveland, Ohio, United States and its surrounding area. According to the 2010 Census, The Cleveland metropolitan area, or Greater Cleveland as it is more commonly known, is the metropolitan area of Northeast Ohio that contains Cleveland, Ohio, United States and its surrounding area. According to the 2010 Census, the five-county Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) has a population of 2,077,240. Greater Cleveland is the 28th most populous metropolitan area in the United States and largest metro entirely in Ohio. has a population of 2,077,240.
Greater Cleveland is the 28th most populous metropolitan area in the United States.

The Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area is a metropolitan area in central New Mexico centered on the city of Albuquerque that covers four counties as of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 887,077.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,341 times
I dislike the fact that the ABQ school system does not provide in school services for kids with special needs without having to ship them to a special Ed school.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's more than just a cities population. There are a few factors, one:

The Cleveland metropolitan area, or Greater Cleveland as it is more commonly known, is the metropolitan area of Northeast Ohio that contains Cleveland, Ohio, United States and its surrounding area. According to the 2010 Census, The Cleveland metropolitan area, or Greater Cleveland as it is more commonly known, is the metropolitan area of Northeast Ohio that contains Cleveland, Ohio, United States and its surrounding area. According to the 2010 Census, the five-county Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) has a population of 2,077,240. Greater Cleveland is the 28th most populous metropolitan area in the United States and largest metro entirely in Ohio. has a population of 2,077,240.
Greater Cleveland is the 28th most populous metropolitan area in the United States.

The Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area is a metropolitan area in central New Mexico centered on the city of Albuquerque that covers four counties as of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 887,077.

Even with the Metro area population difference, the ABQ area has roughly 274,993 people with bachelor degrees. Compared to the Cleveland Metro area with 228,496 people with bachelor degrees. That's with the 33% for ABQ and 11% for Cleveland which was posted earlier. Considerably more higher educated people just with the pure numbers, not including the % per capita difference in population.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM

147 posts, read 390,484 times
So why are we picking on the mistake by the Lake aka Cleveland.
There is no way to compare anything about Cleveland to Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque