Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,978 times

Advertisements

I live in Montgomery County now, and have for most of my life. Yes it has money. But I'll take ABQ any day. I'm not a fan of the DC area in general.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
It no secret that the huge amount of lobbiest money is the reason why the area surrounding DC has four of the five richest counties in the US.

Money buys government influence.

I was in DC back in 1983, and have never wanted to go back.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM

176 posts, read 325,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla999 View Post
Well, it's not all negative here. I think the culture shock is coming back to ABQ after living in Montgomery County, MD (suburban DC) - very wealthy area -- for the last 12 years.
I have lived in the Montgomery County area since 1979! I am tired of the rat race and snooty attitudes.

I love Albuquerque (and NM in general) and hope to relocate there some day. One of the things that has kept me here, is the incredible public school system. Since my son has special needs, it's been very beneficial to him so far.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 PM

176 posts, read 325,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
I live in Montgomery County now, and have for most of my life. Yes it has money. But I'll take ABQ any day. I'm not a fan of the DC area in general.
Agreed...

I live in Rockville. What part do you live in?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM

415 posts, read 616,115 times
Dislike. And I'm from Vegas. Dad was stationed at Holloman when I was ten. Most gawdawful assignment ever. He had friends stationed at the other two bases in the state. Same thing, just less drugs. Alamogordo is on the FBI's crap list for being a huge drug smuggling hellhole, if not THE drug smuggling capital of the country. What a title.

Where do I start? Dad was given a map during intake training and told where he, his wife and two kids should never venture. The black guys in the group were told they were screwed. Nice welcome, New Mexico. There was apparently a prison somewhere, because we had regular reports of armed and very dangerous felons running around the base. Holloman was the only base where my dad lived in base housing the entire assignment and was also the only base where my mother would not allow my brother and I to play outside. The neighbors were the same - very scary place. Drugs, drugs, and more drugs. The faucet practically oozed drugs. If not drugs than ammo and/or guns.

Even better were the locals. Definite fatalist attitude in that town. Evangelical Christians, at least the ones I encountered everywhere else, tended to fight like piranha in too close quarters. The group we went to church with might as well have been singing "Que Sera Sera" instead of "Amazing Grace" as that was how they were. No infighting, no missions. Just apathetic existence. Whatever will be, will be. The other natives liked to drop out of school and join gangs that were racist and liked to shoot anyone that did not look like them, including black children. Had this sorry excuse of a town had the Ku Klux Klan and the Black Panthers and possibly some Nazis, they would have definitely held the card as having all the racist groups in one small little town.

My dad had several military friends in other towns in New Mexico and I know someone who just left Albuquerque. Same story among all of us. New Mexico is disgusting. Definite fatalist attitude there. I do not recommend anyone move there - and I, along with my parents and brother, feel sorry for any poor souls stationed at a military base there.

The vast majority of the people we encountered when we lived there either worked for the government or they were poor. There seemed to be no middle class. One person who lived in Albuquerque that I know calls the place "the land of entrapment." I agree. You should have seen the look on my dad's face when he finally got his orders out of there. He was humming the Hallelujah chorus for days and had a grin on his face.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,978 times
Holloman is about a 4 hour drive from ABQ. Have you ever been to Albuquerque? Doesn't sound like it.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 PM

195 posts, read 421,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Holloman is about a 4 hour drive from ABQ. Have you ever been to Albuquerque? Doesn't sound like it.
She probably hasn't because New Mexico is disgusting, and that would include Alb.

I'm shocked she hasn't run into racism in Ca....

Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
Dislike. And I'm from Vegas. Dad was stationed at Holloman when I was ten. Most gawdawful assignment ever. He had friends stationed at the other two bases in the state. Same thing, just less drugs. Alamogordo is on the FBI's crap list for being a huge drug smuggling hellhole, if not THE drug smuggling capital of the country. What a title.

Where do I start? Dad was given a map during intake training and told where he, his wife and two kids should never venture. The black guys in the group were told they were screwed. Nice welcome, New Mexico. There was apparently a prison somewhere, because we had regular reports of armed and very dangerous felons running around the base. Holloman was the only base where my dad lived in base housing the entire assignment and was also the only base where my mother would not allow my brother and I to play outside. The neighbors were the same - very scary place. Drugs, drugs, and more drugs. The faucet practically oozed drugs. If not drugs than ammo and/or guns.

Even better were the locals. Definite fatalist attitude in that town. Evangelical Christians, at least the ones I encountered everywhere else, tended to fight like piranha in too close quarters. The group we went to church with might as well have been singing "Que Sera Sera" instead of "Amazing Grace" as that was how they were. No infighting, no missions. Just apathetic existence. Whatever will be, will be. The other natives liked to drop out of school and join gangs that were racist and liked to shoot anyone that did not look like them, including black children. Had this sorry excuse of a town had the Ku Klux Klan and the Black Panthers and possibly some Nazis, they would have definitely held the card as having all the racist groups in one small little town.

My dad had several military friends in other towns in New Mexico and I know someone who just left Albuquerque. Same story among all of us. New Mexico is disgusting. Definite fatalist attitude there. I do not recommend anyone move there - and I, along with my parents and brother, feel sorry for any poor souls stationed at a military base there.

The vast majority of the people we encountered when we lived there either worked for the government or they were poor. There seemed to be no middle class. One person who lived in Albuquerque that I know calls the place "the land of entrapment." I agree. You should have seen the look on my dad's face when he finally got his orders out of there. He was humming the Hallelujah chorus for days and had a grin on his face.
So you are just basing ABQ off of what others have told you and haven't actually seen it yourself?

Old 09-15-2012, 12:16 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,573 times
Quote:

I'm sure you won't respond to this. You sound very much like the post-and-run people that jump on these threads. But how long ago was this and how old were you? Sounds like you were a kid. And I've never heard this kind of stuff about Alamogordo.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Dislike. And I'm from Vegas. Dad was stationed at Holloman when I was ten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
But how long ago was this and how old were you?
My wager? The individual is less than 30 years old.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque