Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times

Advertisements

It has been my concern if I moved to Chama, NM that we would be treated as outsiders. Now, after many years of visiting I've never been treated as such but then again maybe because I am visiting only.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
It has been my concern if I moved to Chama, NM that we would be treated as outsiders. Now, after many years of visiting I've never been treated as such but then again maybe because I am visiting only.
Sometimes you will always be an outsider, but one major factor is how you act and react.

Some people just have to be the "Ugly American....

Rich

Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Sometimes you will always be an outsider, but one major factor is how you act and react.

Some people just have to be the "Ugly American....

Rich

I agree! Like I said, I've always had very pleasant conversations with the locals except south of Chama in the village Terra. It is a very hispanic area and we're not so I had/have a worry. But thus far everyone in Chama area is wonderful.

I guess it is more of a concern now as we are at retirement age.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM

I have a friend in ABQ who is from Chama, with family still up there. I like the area, but I have lived in rural areas before, Spanish is my native language, and I still prefer living near all the things we have learned to enjoy, including the medical facilities here in Rio Rancho and ABQ.

Rich

Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Oh yes, I forgot about Minot. Well-known for its great mountains, "big city" entertainment, open-minded people, cultural diversity, proximity to big cities, great food... now I know what I've been missing all along.... This guy really knows where it's at!
Nice try on the straw man argument, never said Minot had any of those things, as you imply it within your first sentence. I never connected Minot to Albuquerque in regards to those things I don't like about ABQ. I simply said, I enjoyed Minot more than Albuquerque. I've been to, traveled and lived on almost every continent in the world. Big cities, small cities, poor cities. I'm not an expert, but I do have some experience. I never said anything I stated was fact, it's just simply my opinion. If you or anyone else mistakes what I said for fact, than that is a fault not by me.

Give me the crying emoticon face all you want, but it's my opinion and that's what I believe the OP asked for.

I'm sorry I don't like your city.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
You'd think someone with all that worldly experience would know how to get out and explore the true essence of a city.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
It is always a good idea to live within your means, regardless of where you are at. I have been on your side of the argument when I lived in Michigan. My ten-year-old son is living there again and I won't go there because of my place in the economy - I was poor there too. It may not seem like it but my son is incredibly important to me. Living in Albuquerque makes it possible for me to do what I need to do for many reasons. You have to decide what is important to you and have faith in that.

It is never a good idea to live where you do not like living. I have lived in seven different states for at least a year, so I know what I am talking about. If you don't like the pervasive attitude you get from being here, don't come here. Of course you have to realize that the pervasive attitude really comes from you and the people you associate with.

However, and this is something else I have suffered from in the past, you might want to look in the mirror and see who is really lazy and not meeting their potential. A place does not hold you back, you do.

Having lived in San Francisco and Washington, DC for thirteen years combined I know what it is like to be around people who seem to be involved in life more than others - the so-called Movers and Shakers. That is just an illusion. There are all types of people everywhere.

The thing that I noticed most when I came back to Albuquerque after being gone for so long is that people are much more relaxed here. Relaxed to me means that people live at their own pace here and do not necessarily 'keep up with the Jones' as much. That can either be a blessing or not. The great thing about life is that you get to decide.

I deal with the outside world better now by realizing that I don't have a damn thing to do with it. The outside world is an illusion. It can be depicted by the world of television, the world of scholarship, the world of sport, etc. There are as many worlds out there as there are people. I deal with my world on the scale that I can deal with, me.

Take some time to figure out who you are. Can you sit in a room for three hours without turning something on? Do you like yourself? Do you know yourself? If not, the first step to your happiness (which is not a destination, by the way - it's only a state of mind that people can visit) is to get to know yourself. If you are not happy with yourself then do something to make yourself happy.

It sounds like you are underemployed like I was when I was in Michigan. Underemployed meant for me that I couldn't get a job that paid well unless I went to where my industry thrived. Better education was not an option for me because what I want to do (what makes me fulfilled and whole as the person that I know myself to be) comes from inside of me, not from more or better diplomas. I had to learn that about myself and accept my limitations. I don't focus on my limitations anymore, but on the things I can control and do to make my particular life better.

Now I work toward my larger goal by accomplishing smaller goals that are on the right path. Time is going to march on whether you like it or not. You can take small steps every day or you can **** and moan until years have passed and you are less resilient. Believe me, it is much harder to get somewhere when you are older than when you are younger. If you have to give up all your friends to find yourself, do it. After all, your "friends" don't do a damn thing to make you feel fulfilled. They go home to their lives and don't think about you until it pleases them.
Written two years ago and just as brilliant as the day as it was written. Unfortunately I couldn't rep this one as the poster is no longer a member, but God bless this guy for sharing his words of wisdom. He really drives and resonates the point that geography can be fairly irrelevant when one is unhappy, but it sure makes an easy scapegoat. I aboslutely love what is written here.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,869 times
Wow. Y'all would think you New Mexicans would understand how to have an open mind, maybe offer solutions?

But, even then - this was a thread about negatives, not positives. I have plenty of good things to say about the city, but it's not on the top of my list. Sorry that based on my opinion, I enjoy other cities more.

And again, another half-ass argument from a disgruntled New Mexican. " would know how to get out and explore the true essence of a city" - Your idea's are different than mine. So are your opinions. You don't know my schedule, friends, or what I do for fun around here. I gave semi-specific examples on what I did not enjoy about Albuquerque, also stated that it's on the bottom of my list for cities I like. You speak false rhetoric and generalize.

The only thing you know, is that you not only do not agree with my opinion, but feel that you should force your opinion on me. That's unfair.

If someone said the same thing about a city that I love, instead of harassing the person through use of straw-man arguments and generalizing, I would offer suggestions and possible solutions. Also if they had stated something that was not true, I would correct them. That's just me though.

I could say you two have proved my arguments correct in regards to close minded, ignorant people - but that would be unfair since you're only two out of 500,000+ people.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
... never said Minot (N.Dak) had any of those things...
Nice place to live when you're house isn't up to the eaves buried in snow or inundated by flood waters of historic proportions!

Quote:
Fleeing the Flood: 11,000 evacuate Minot, ND

June 23, 2011 7:14 AM
Police urge residents to leave their homes as Minot, N.D. faces worst flooding in history. Water is at record levels and expected to grow seven-feet higher.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Nice place to live when you're house isn't up to the eaves buried in snow or inundated by flood waters of historic proportions!

Well, we are really not discussing Minot ND. And there is a reason why people like it there. It is their choice. Yes, recent news "Minot, N.D. faces worst flooding in history"...

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque