Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,132,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL
... so food tastes good. ...
... er ....

Good food tastes good.

Speaking of good, some of those tomatoes off my tomato plants
are just killer these days!

Those Albertson's chocolate chip cookies ( in the purple bag )
after zapping 18 or so seconds in the microwave just before
some burbon also tastes good.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:59 AM

49 posts, read 180,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I thought about moving back to Albuquerque but I am bit hesitant because of the following reasons:

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: Beautiful skies, mountains are all great but after a while it is almost as if the beauty of the state fades away when you are poor and cannot find a good job.

"Land of manana" attitude to life: "No problem, we will get it done" type of attitude, but in reality nothing gets done also known as chronic incompetence

Low standards/Low expectations culture: Very prevalent in Albuquerque and the Land of Enchantment.

Anyways, how do you deal with these things? Are you happy in Albuquerque? Ever thought about leaving, if so WHY?
WoW, I couldn't have said it any better. For years now I have been feeling like I've out grown Abq. I've been here 24 years and now that my parents split up and moved back to Texas I'm pretty much here all alone with no family at all. I'm now 36, single with no kids. My mom always asks me why don't I "get married, buy a house and raise a family, you're getting old" LOL. I would tell her that I never imagined myself settling down in Abq.

I was close though, but things didn't work out and now I'm glad they didn't. I'm so ready to leave this place. I don't "hate" Abq. I'm just ready for a life style change, I'm ready to start a new life somewhere else. For someone like me and what I do (now looking to change careers) Abq is very very boring. It's a big small town with no excitement. Sometimes I get the feeling like NM is 5 years behind everything else in this country. Everything that's new and hip in the east and west coasts....gets here a few years later.

I don't like the fact NM is a poor state with a "great frontier state" mentality..meaning refuses to change/evolve. There are reasons why NM missed out on great opportunities to grow like Denver and Phoenix did. If you all remember, back in the 80's Abq. was one of the top 5 fastest growing cities in the country. By the 90's we dropped really far behind in growth. Phx and Denver blew right past us grew to the great metropolises they are today. However overall, NM/SW region is still growing compared to other parts of the country. '

What's funny is that at the same time of having a "great frontier state" (economic) mentality, I also get the feeling it has a "fish bowl" mentality with the residents as well. Everyone here has a "small time" attitude.

Pros:
- Culture
- Unique regional cuisine
- 4 seasonal weather
- Beautiful outdoors/geography
- Simple, slow lifestyle

Cons
- Lack of high paying jobs
- Not a great selection of entertainment (no pro sports, lack of major multipurpose arena= bigger shows/concerts skip NM)
- No vibe, excitement, a boring sense of attitude
- Refuses to grow into a big time metropolis, still rooted in "like the good ole days" mentality. (example: made a big deal few years ago over whether to build Montano Bridge connecting to Coors, followed by the P. Del Norte connecting to Ventana Ranch)

People I run into tell me all the time "what are you still doing in the land of entrapment" after I tell them of my current situation. I'm not happy here anymore and now it's getting to the point I'm getting depressed over it. I've postponed it long enough, for me it's time to go.

I think Las Vegas Nevada will be a nice change for me. People from here are moving there all the time so I hear.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,494,402 times
At your age, it's definitely time to try something new!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,248,291 times
No need to grow into a "Metropolis."

Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 PM

159 posts, read 513,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I've worked a ton of entry-level jobs irregardless of having a degree, including Discover, eBay, Target, home health care, and even the Salt Lake City airport, a major Delta hub. My point about job market in Albuquerque is that I am not given proper credit for my willingness to work. In Utah, where I worked most of these jobs, I never heard so much as a PEEP about my degree. People weren't constantly harassing me about being a low wage earner. Here everyone has a real obnoxious hateful attitude. I am a really hard worker and have worked for some good companies. I don't need to put up with your attitude that I didn't advance in my "career" despite having a "piece of paper". Maybe if Albuquerque was growing in to more of a metropolis and not so stuck on the "good old days"---- whatever the hell that is/was--- and attracting good companies like Discover, eBay, American Express, Jet Blue, etc., the whole mentality of the area would be different. People would be more in to their own trip, doing their own thing, and people would not be so concerned with checking up on and monitoring their neighbor. I am endlessly astounded at the way people here behave in regards to work and money. Face it folks, you are a bunch of cowtown hicks who LIKE living in little town.
Someone a little moody today ?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,501,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
although I dont mind living in a low class area or city at all which I dont really think ABQ is but maybe compared to other parts of the country, anyways you mentioned the people are cold and I would partly agree with this, at the department store I work at the managers have decided to go against the company policy and not bug the customers as much because they say that ABQ people dont wanna be bothered, and its true, I can greet people and they wont even look at you, most dont know how to say excuse me either. I dont think they are strange though they just keep to themselves.

I was in the South last week and the people were very nice,it was nice to deal with people who had manners. Now Im not trying to talk bad about ABQ people at all its just that I like people to have manners and be friendly. I've been wanting to go down South now for a couple years though.
General rule about the "friendly folks down south": They are friendly...unless you disagree on religious matters. I know from experience. It's a caveman mentality in most parts.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM

361 posts, read 1,095,204 times
catrinac said:

"I am endlessly astounded at the way people here behave in regards to work and money. Face it folks, you are a bunch of cowtown hicks who LIKE living in little town."

So ggabq responds:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabq View Post
Someone a little moody today ?

Hey ggabq,

This poster is almost always like this.

I'd say "If you ignore this poster they will go away", but that doesn't seem to be the case - s/he just keeps resurfacing with inflamatory remarks about the nice folks in ABQ.

Hopefully, she'll find a place where s/he's happy - even if it's only within him-herself!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:34 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,392,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
catrinac said:

"I am endlessly astounded at the way people here behave in regards to work and money. Face it folks, you are a bunch of cowtown hicks who LIKE living in little town."

So ggabq responds:

Hey ggabq,

This poster is almost always like this.

I'd say "If you ignore this poster they will go away", but that doesn't seem to be the case - s/he just keeps resurfacing with inflamatory remarks about the nice folks in ABQ.

Hopefully, she'll find a place where s/he's happy - even if it's only within him-herself!
I fail to understand why she has stayed this long if she hates it so bad.
Maybe we should "pass the hat" and take up a collection?

If I am a "cowtown hick", then I am in good company.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,070,167 times
Why dont people on here accept other peoples views of a city, if its a positive opinion,view or experience then everything is all good, if its a negative one then everyone goes all crazy, WHO CARES.

not everyone is gonna like the same place, I thought NM has the most accepting poeple, yall sure dont act like it on here, I dont see why people bash someone cause they dont like it here, different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,935,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
No need to grow into a "Metropolis."
Now, now. Metropolis was a club out in the NE hts (on Juan Tabo?). We had one of those and it just did not work out, so you are right. Not for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque