Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 10:29 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe that a 43 year old with a degree cannot get a job at one of the call centers here...have you applied to Verizon, TMobile. etc.?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 AM

17 posts, read 50,304 times
Wow. I'm a little stunned at the comments about people in ABQ being cold or unfriendly. My experience has been the exact opposite. After a year here, I'm still amazed at how warm and friendly people are here. Even the clerks at the grocery store, guy at the post office, etc.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
I cannot believe that a 43 year old with a degree cannot get a job at one of the call centers here...have you applied to Verizon, TMobile. etc.?
Me too. My daughter moved out here last Oct and had a job within 3 weeks. Etelecare is hiring, as is Sprint, and most likely all the other call centers.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
"there is a tremendous contempt in Albuquerque for education."

I don't know who you hang out with but I've never heard that.

I suppose it depends on the degree/university.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac -- #1 Albuquerque and New Mexico hater
... there is a tremendous contempt in Albuquerque for education. ...
... People here are really hateful about it.
You know, ... since you left, things have really improved here.
I don't know why.

It's just not the way you describe it any more.
I don't know why.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,244 times
Every city is a constellation of positives and negatives that your own experiences will filter. Sometimes the city looks good after that, sometimes it looks bad. But every city has those things. I honestly shake my head when people are talking about cold/bland Albuquerque. Is it all disney land and tourist brochure pics? Of course not, but I live and work in Albuquerque everyday, and I have friends at nearly every place I go: from the cashiers at my local Albertsons to the nurses at my Allergist. And now that I have the girls, It's almost impossible not to end up in a conversation with another parent somewhere. It's so easy to strike up a conversation in Albuquerque, it's ridiculous. Bring up water, the Isotopes/Lobos/golf, one of the fiestas, your garden, the green chile crop or hiking camping and there's rarely a person that won't have something to add.

As for work, I can tell you as a manager here that there's not an overwhelming flood of overqualified people out there. That means as a manager, the people who can pull off a decent interview, show maturity, and present real customer service skills are a shoe-in. After giving hundreds of interviews in this area, I can tell you that many people shoot themselves in the foot for their employability. It's almost like they're going through the motions to placate someone else's pressure on them to get a job. I had a guy who showed up at a retail mall interview in baggy pants with his shorts hanging out balk at our benefits program (not that he was going to ever see it.).

I've got another friend that's always looking for a job. I used to pull strings with other managers and people I'd come across in my day, but I started to realize I wasn't going to find a job for him. MCI?: I don't like phones and people frustrate me. Mall Kiosk?: I don't like sales. City parks?: I don't like the heat. Albertsons? Below me. Gap regional office?: Above me.

So: You don't like sales, people, heat, blue collar work & white collar work but Albuquerque is the one with an employment problem. OK.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,323 times
I've been following this and similar threads for quite a while and all I can say
is that the cold, unfriendly place several people describe is radically different
than what Debbie and I have experienced.

Considering the ongoing need that some people have to "bomb" so many threads
with negative, but largely unsupported comments, you really have to wonder
where the problem actually lies...

I have seen a fair amount of pride and enthusiasm in many posts made in this forum,
but relatively little blind "boosterism" (except for EnjoyEP and we all know he's
feeling deprived at the moment.... ). For the most part, the same people
who make positive comments are also willing to note the problems so I do
not think they are wearing rose-tinted glasses; they are giving fair and reasonable
assessments of their own perceptions and experiences.

I agree that it's very strange that people who claim to have such excellent
resumes can not find work. As ZiaAirmac has said, well-qualified AND WILLING
applicants are a recruiter's dream; as Karmacat and AlisonL have said, it's almost
inconceivable that a well qualified applicant can't find at least a mid-level job.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,454 times
I feel that some of those fresh out of college seem to think the only job for them is the one at the top.
They do not seem to be willing to work any job just to make ends meet. They want it handed to them, and not have to get their hands dirty.

I can remember after high school I needed a job, any job. I was not too proud to work in a sardine factory canning fish. Not the most glamerous job by any means, but hey it paid my bills. I'm sure being a bank president would of been much better, but it didn't hurt me to do what I did. If anything, I learned and grew from it.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL
... I was not too proud to work in a sardine factory canning fish. Not the most glamerous job by any means, but hey it paid my bills. ...
... and, ... HEY! It's a good thing you love sardines!
They're not only good, but good FOR you.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,469 times
10 months here now and couldn't be happier. Love the people, weather and the history.

Two things we have noticed. One, the amount of rampant obesity is astoundingly sad. Worse, the d-bag factor. Bigtime. Thats what happens when adults don't get involved enough with their kids or just flat out have too many to take care of. Worked for months at a real estate kiosk in Coronado mall, that place is a haven for trouble. Feels just like the hood in East LA.

Every city has these issues though...San Diego was barely better...you just stay away from the trouble spots whenever possible and enjoy living.

Bottom line, we loveabq and NM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque