Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 PM

44 posts, read 173,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesturn View Post
I could really use some advise. I won't go into long details but I've had a rough time of it for the past year. I've been to four cities, sure, every time that this was where I would want to live. I came from New York went on to the coast of North Carolina then on to Charlotte, NC and slightly down to Rock Hill, SC and now am in Melbourne, Fl. I have such a limited amount of money and can only afford up to $180,000 at the most for a home. Melbourne is out of the question unless I wanted to live in a closet. Besides it's so New York here and uncomfortably hot...............Long to short, I've been interested in Albuquerque because some really really good people are moving there and I would like to live where there is someone I know and can trust. I'm an abandoned single Mom with two teens. I want to know the areas that would be best since my boys are teens.......no crime, drugs, etc. Quieter but not in the sticks. I'm not interested in night life or activity. Don't need to be concerned with transportation. That kind of pretty much takes care of the cons...The pros are worth it....I don't want to be in a crowded area, but as I said not anywhere out in the boonies alone either.....I sure hope that someone takes me seriously and can help out. My friends that are moving there, don't know a whole lot about it either...I like what I see and it feels "right" getting out west way far away from New York State....The climate sounds perfect and I could use some serious scenery...I'm getting tired and worn out. It's been hard emotionally and I wanted this aspect of the changes in our lives to turn out smoother and didn't expect a year to go by so fast. Also if anyone can tell me what it's like with closings, etc. Does it take long to close once you've found a home? I've been renting and that's taken a toll on finances. I don't have to worry about work cause I work Online so that's a definite plus.....Any help at all would be so greatly appreciated.
You sound a tad burnt and jaded. Hope the future is a bit brighter. If you want an idea of housing, go to remax.com and do a search. Our local mls site has gotten screwy and others dont put all the homes on that are available. Are they hoping to protect a fall out of the market? Who knows. This one seems to show whats available. Coldwell banker isnt too bad either. good luck

Old 08-22-2009, 07:40 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,326,029 times
Default The Albuquerque Area and New Mexico Like/Dislike Thread

I thought about moving back to Albuquerque but I am bit hesitant because of the following reasons:

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: Beautiful skies, mountains are all great but after a while it is almost as if the beauty of the state fades away when you are poor and cannot find a good job.

"Land of manana" attitude to life: "No problem, we will get it done" type of attitude, but in reality nothing gets done also known as chronic incompetence

Low standards/Low expectations culture: Very prevalent in Albuquerque and the Land of Enchantment.

Anyways, how do you deal with these things? Are you happy in Albuquerque? Ever thought about leaving, if so WHY?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:17 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,385,758 times
If those things bother you, then I would say don't move back. Its doubtful you'd be happy living here again.

I love living here, even though its only been a year.

I would not encourage anyone to move anywhere without a job lined up.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 AM

159 posts, read 512,790 times
Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: I'm pretty sure the "enchantment" goes away in any place if you're poor and can't find a job

"Land of manana" attitude to life: Yes, Albuquerque has a "manana" attitude, but that doesn't mean things dont get done. Albuquerque isn't a fast paced city like New York, but that doesn't mean its a "lazy" city.

Low standards/Low expectations culture: What kind of low standards/expectations?

I've lived in ABQ my whole life, and i still love it. Like Alison said, if any of these things bug you, don't move here.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:42 AM

361 posts, read 1,094,495 times
It sounds like you didn't have a good salary when you lived there.

I think any place where you didn't make enough to make ends meet would be miserable. Not everyone has had that experience, but some who have still love the relaxed nature.

My opinion - stay in Minneapolis - ABQ doesn't need people who are unhappy when they live there. It's a pretty happy place overall.

If you we're that unhappy, I'm curious to know why you would consider living there again?

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment:
The beautiful landscape never wore off on me - I like hiking and outdoor activities, and especially the mountains.

"Land of manana" attitude to life:
I like the "Land of manana" attitude - I've been living in the rat race for 10 years now and I can sense a change in my personality. I've become very critical and cynical about everything. I get the feeling you can relate to what I'm talking about, just by your comments in your post.

I don't seem to enjoy the simple things anymore - and I really miss that. That's what the "Land of manana" means to me - a return to that enjoyment of the simple, different, mundane things.

Low standards/Low expectations culture:
I can't speak for the rest of the state, but where I lived in Albuquerque and Santa Fe the standards and expectations were far from low. Standards and expectations for Art and local culture, and food were very high.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,326,029 times
People also have a tendency to get very defensive when you criticize Albuquerque. I am sure life is rosy for you if you are a transfer from out of state and live in NE or Rio Rancho.

When I talk about low expectations, I cannot think of a better example than Albuquerque Public Schools or just about any type of public service provided by Bernallillo County

When you have some time, head on over to Gallup or Espanola and ask the locals how good life is in these places.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,060,444 times
I like ABQ and New Mexico but I want a change of pace and scenery, I want to be in the South someday in a smaller town or city.

The thing I hate most about ABQ is the large amount of D-Bags there are here (the Tap-Out,fighter type guys) its like every other hispanic guy has to dress and look alike and get the same haircut. I have never seen another city where there are so many followers, its not really a big deal but it still bugs me. Plus some of these people here act like they live in NYC and are in such a big hurry all the time.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 PM

159 posts, read 512,790 times
Catrinac, I'm sorry you feel that way. I actually had the opposite expereince. I moved from Albuquerque to Boise a couple years back, just to feel a new city. That was a bad choice for me, it just wasn't my type of city. Albuquerque {like New Mexico} is a love it hate it state. Who am I to try and change your opinion?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:34 AM

3,435 posts, read 7,007,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I like ABQ and New Mexico but I want a change of pace and scenery, I want to be in the South someday in a smaller town or city.

The thing I hate most about ABQ is the large amount of D-Bags there are here (the Tap-Out,fighter type guys) its like every other hispanic guy has to dress and look alike and get the same haircut. I have never seen another city where there are so many followers, its not really a big deal but it still bugs me. Plus some of these people here act like they live in NYC and are in such a big hurry all the time.
Lets just say, Albuquerque doesnt really have fashionable shops, thats why the hispanics settle for tap-out, they think its still in style, but not really. That crap is wack. But then again, you have the west-side who is turning hollister haha. Albuquerque also has some of the worst drivers.. then again it is those californians who race threw here and make matters worse.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,239,999 times
Has someone hijacked Desert Sun's handle again? Come on man, I expect more form your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque