Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

I've lived in ABQ all my life, and so did my parents and one of my grandfathers, so I do think I know a lot about the city.

As far as the people go, most people here I think are friendly; no, you won't find everyone is, but that's true of anywhere you go. However, I do think for the most part, this is a live-and-let-live community. Just like anywhere, if you treat others with respect, that's how you'll be treated.

The crime is the biggest problem here, and keeps getting worse. It's a combination of poverty, mediocre-at-best education, poor job prospects and easy access to drugs. If you're going to live here, you need to be aware of that and be careful.

The other problem is the poor transportation system. It's a vicious circle: people don't use the public transportation because it's inefficient and it doesn't improve because no one uses it so they can't afford to improve it. The freeway upgrade about 8 or 9 years ago was a big improvement, but they need to work on some sort of efficient transportation that is available 24/7. The Rail Runner I hear is not even supporting itself; big surprise... if you don't have the transportation in the city to get you from the Rail Runner to your destination, it isn't going to work.

Schools here are mediocre, with of course some really good but most mediocre to poor, and so often the quality of the school reflects the economic level of the community it's in... poorer areas have poorer schools.

The weather of course, is almost always great, though the drought we've been in for about 5 years doesn't seem to be ending. It is very easy to be "trapped" here by the wonderful weather and close proximity to the Sandia Mountain leisure activities.

The economy is so-so; we've historically not had a good economy so in this time of recession, I don't think it has changed as much. We need big companies to move in here to create jobs, because locally we just don't have the jobs. The cost of living here is high compared to the salaries and available jobs, but I think the cost of living is just a little higher than the national average.

Am I happy here? Yes, I'd have to say so. It's a nice place to live with the various cultures here, and a lot to do. The things that need fixing are not new, and I've given up on thinking they will ever be fixed; if it happens great, but no sense wishing for something that won't happen. Be happy with what it is... you know there's that T-shirt slogan about New Mexico that says "At least we're better than Mississippi"

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I've been there a bunch of times and never experienced any "icy coldness". (I take it you mean the people and not the climate.)
I think people get what they give. Sounds like you give good vibes.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 PM

18,211 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Plus one!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 AM

121 posts, read 299,229 times
Quote:
That is not always the case, there are rude and nice people everywhere, in every state and every country. Some places just have more than others.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM

713 posts, read 1,845,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
That is not always the case, there are rude and nice people everywhere, in every state and every country. Some places just have more than others.
I agree there are rude people everywhere. But those that say everyone in a particular place is rude usually are getting back what the are putting out. I've lived in NM all my life and have rarely come across rude people. It happens, but not to the extent soem unhappy people claim.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 PM

121 posts, read 299,229 times
Quote:
I agree there are rude people everywhere. But those that say everyone in a particular place is rude usually are getting back what the are putting out. I've lived in NM all my life and have rarely come across rude people. It happens, but not to the extent soem unhappy people claim.
To a certain extent that is true,but no matter how nice,accepting,polite,or friendly you are, there will always be people who are naturally mean, or just rude,cranky, or could just be having a bad day. If It were up to me we would all live in a perfect world.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM

390 posts, read 951,944 times
Loborick, I believe you have said it well.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Plus one, to quote DOUBLE H!

Some people who act rude are simply jerks, but others are just having a bad day (or week, or year) and/or are just being defensive. Sometimes you can work with that.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,632 times
You attract the type of people that you are. I've found friendly and unfriendly people everywhere that I have lived. No place is perfect and we make the best of it. I like NM because of the scenery and friendliness of people. I've lived in Portland, SF Bay ARea, Honolulu, San Antonio, and Monterey Bay Area. I have made friends and the best of it where ever I have lived. Learned a lot and understand all perspectives expressed in this thread. If you don't like it here nothing forces you to live here, you can move or get involved in your community to change things. Make the most of your life where ever you live. I love NM and plan to stay here a while. I'm moving to Farmington from ABQ in a few months and am open to the new experiences that a new place will offer me. I will miss ABQ, but I'm moving for a job and know I will meet nice people and jerks everywhere. I tend to hang out with the nice people makes life enjoyable.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times
Interesting that this thread is still going. NM has to be the worst place I've ever lived. I agree with the OP 100%. Can't wait to move from here--it may be okay for the those born and raised here but many "transplants" will be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque