Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM

206 posts, read 535,019 times

Advertisements

Rancher's are an ignorant and cruel bunch??? A sweeping generalization by a complete fool...

Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Rancher's are an ignorant and cruel bunch??? A sweeping generalization by a complete fool...
And "complete fool" is not an equally sweeping generalization?
Whether I agree with the "Iowan" (not exactly from Manhattan or Palm Beach, is it?) or not, the guy has a right to speak up and did so. Apparently he asked some questions that some other folks had trouble adequately answering, thus the changes.
I'm not a big fan of the exploding coyote population, but at the same time I can see how someone would think a fun day of coyote shooting was not exactly a good way to raise school money. Same with the rattlesnake roundups, but that's just me.....
THey were fine then....but that was then, this is now. A lot of things that were commonly accepted 20, 40 or 100 years ago is not acceptable now. Times change, public attitudes change, and laws change as well.

I know a few ranchers from a few states, and many are very fine people, salt of the earth, others are knuckle dragging bozos who would rather deal with all wildlife problems with the famous three S's (shoot, shovel, shut yer mouth).
Some actually live the independent, don't-tread-on-me life, and, as a lifelong self-employed person, I admire the independence, dedication and hard work that such a successful life requires.
But when I hear this from people who stake their livelihood on using public resources, like BLM grazing lands, as their own private world and to hell with those meddling Fed's who tell them they can't ruin property and watersheds and restrict herds just because it's the cheapest way to go, I lose touch with the We've-always-done-it-this-way folks. I've been astonished to hear long rants about having a "right" to use BLM land anyway they wish because that's what's needed to make a profit.....and when I hear that I can't help but think of the classic, stereotypical Welfare Queen who, in the apocryphal stories, pulls up to the welfare office in the Caddy to pick up the check she is "owed". I tend to think of the two persons in question as very much the same, though they'd certainly disagree.
This debate won't end anytime soon, but last year I read a pretty interesting book about changes in the West, and a search for solutions and common ground. I had followed the Laney/Diamond Bar thing over in Silver City, and it's what drew me to this book. Thought provoking.

Here's a small excerpt and some comments (from both sides) afterward.
The Rise of a New Ranch in the American West | Jenny Shank | Books & Writers | NewWest.Net

Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 PM

149 posts, read 357,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This is the kind of patronizing attitude that many New Mexicans can't abide. If you are a tourist in New Mexico it doesn't mean you own the place.
The main reason I posted that is because the poster I was responding to alluded that Texans are jerks. Texans by far, are some of the friendliest folks in the US. Something hard to find in the rest of the Southwest by my travels but it can be found.

My relatives that live in NM do say that a lot of New Mexicans will look for anything they can to put more resentment on Texas tourists and that those that are not NM natives seem to adopt that resentment as well for no real reason.

As a native Texan I can say that a lot of those "patronizing Texans" you refer to probably aren't native Texans themselves.

I seem to be the only one to care about what or neighbor's think about us here though.

That aside, enjoy your Thanksgiving. Are you having red chili on your mashed potatoes? Now that's a pretty tasty alternative to gravy! Yum!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:13 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
I said nothing wrong about the ranchers. They hate the mustangs for the mustangs eat their cattle's forage. They hate the coyote, they hate the wolves, they hate the people that like mustangs, coyote and wolves. Any wildlife that interferes in the ranch operation needs to be mercilessly exterminated. At the same time they are heavily subsidized, get to use public lands for grazing, there are even programs to pay them for every member of the herd lost to wildlife.

And then we have a story of a local rancher subsidizing a public hunt on wildlife just to make a point.

You tell me who is a complete fool here.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,490 times
When you leave, you may find that it is a beautiful place.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 PM

560 posts, read 1,714,808 times
Getting back to the original posters comments, I am also from southern California. I have not found people here to be rude or impersonal. I've actually found them to be very friendly up here in Santa Fe.

However, sometimes it does seem that this place is so small that everyone knows everyone, or that there are definite cliques, or that there is an insider outsider mentality. I'm not sure which one it is. I make it a point not to socialize with most people up here, but that's a different story. Albuquerque on the other hand does not bother me one bit. Seems big enough, but not too big... feels a little more like home.

There are many things and people in Santa Fe that I cannot stand, but with a little time I have come to realize that the whole state isn't this way. I never have a kind word about Santa Fe, but I always speak well of the state.

At the end of the day I think it just kind of depends where you are, who you socialize with, and what you make of things.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I said nothing wrong about the ranchers. They hate the mustangs for the mustangs eat their cattle's forage. They hate the coyote, they hate the wolves, they hate the people that like mustangs, coyote and wolves. Any wildlife that interferes in the ranch operation needs to be mercilessly exterminated. At the same time they are heavily subsidized, get to use public lands for grazing, there are even programs to pay them for every member of the herd lost to wildlife.

And then we have a story of a local rancher subsidizing a public hunt on wildlife just to make a point.

You tell me who is a complete fool here.
I think you are overgeneralizing. Ranchers have all kinds of different views about wildlife managment and environmental issues just as do Texans and New Mexicans in general. Perhaps the ones who tend to get noticed are the ones who do the types of thing you cite but not all are like that. Keep in mind also that not all ranchers are cattlemen, particularly in NM. Some (including the Navajo) raise sheep, alpaca, horses and other types of livestock which give them different perspectives on these things. I've found most of them are pretty nice people too and I'm sure very good neighbors. Be friendly with them and they might teach you a thing or two about where you live as they've usually been there awhile.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Getting back to the original posters comments, I am also from southern California. I have not found people here to be rude or impersonal. I've actually found them to be very friendly up here in Santa Fe.

However, sometimes it does seem that this place is so small that everyone knows everyone, or that there are definite cliques, or that there is an insider outsider mentality. I'm not sure which one it is. I make it a point not to socialize with most people up here, but that's a different story. Albuquerque on the other hand does not bother me one bit. Seems big enough, but not too big... feels a little more like home.

There are many things and people in Santa Fe that I cannot stand, but with a little time I have come to realize that the whole state isn't this way. I never have a kind word about Santa Fe, but I always speak well of the state.

At the end of the day I think it just kind of depends where you are, who you socialize with, and what you make of things.
OK. First you say you have found the people in Santa Fe not to be rude or impersonal and they are very friendly. Then you say there are many things and people in Santa Fe that you cannot stand and you never have a kind word to say about Santa Fe. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

You do say one thing I understand.

Quote:
I think you need to read this again and maybe actually follow it.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM

38 posts, read 79,034 times
Wow my topic really took off! It's nice to hear everyones opinions!

Ever since I posted this..I have come to realized that even though I do feel like this isnt the first place I would want to live there's just something about it I'm going to miss? Can't really put my finger on it. I did get hate from a good amount of locals but I shouldn't have grouped everyone into it. I have met some lovely people here. It's kinda a hit or miss I guess. You either hate it or love it.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:14 AM

560 posts, read 1,714,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
OK. First you say you have found the people in Santa Fe not to be rude or impersonal and they are very friendly. Then you say there are many things and people in Santa Fe that you cannot stand and you never have a kind word to say about Santa Fe. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

You do say one thing I understand.

I think you need to read this again and maybe actually follow it.

I said exactly what I meant... people in Santa Fe are friendly. I'm not going to lie about it. At the same time, I can't stand about 90% of them.

Thank you for your advice to follow my own advice. Incidentally, just a little FYI, it's exactly this kind of smugness and attitude that makes Santa Fe so intolerable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque