Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 12:07 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times

Advertisements

Nope. I'm unhappy to be leaving. Usually the issue is with the individual, not the state.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Don't blame New Mexico, blame it on unfriendly people. Hopefully you will find some friendly people soon.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:39 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
The OP may be posting from Raton, Farmington, Espanola, Roswell, Deming, or even Santa Fe.

In any case, NM is way too diverse a state to be considered good or bad at anything like this; there are pockets that are wonderful and pockets that are horrible, just like pretty much any large geographical area.

Perhaps if we could zero in on the OP's community full of supposedly horrible people, we could all agree or disagree with more detail.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
New Mexico is a big state with a lot of different types of communities from tiny isolated hamlets where every family has ties going back centuries to places like Albuquerque where you can find neighborhoods where no one has roots in New Mexico going back further than 2004.

The former can be very insular and distrustful if not outright hostile to outsiders while in the latter people may actively be seeking to create new friendships.

Some locals with deep roots are looking to expand their horizons by meeting new people from exotic locales (to them) like L.A. and New York, while many recent transplants from such places are moving New Mexico to be left alone.

Where did you find yourself? What were you looking for?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times
I'm sorry, Pinkky, that you find yourself feeling this way, too, in the "Land of Entrapment". My husband and I moved here to rural NM two years ago from Washington State. We are well-adjusted, happy, friendly people who like to be adaptable and blend in. Well, this is one of those very small communities consisting of descendants of early pioneer families. We are outsiders and a couple of people have told us to "get out of town", that we are not wanted here, and to watch our backs. Some folks are polite to your face and then lie about you behind your back. Because we have a nice home, someone is spreading rumors that we must be drug dealers! There are a couple of Zuni Indians who have been genuinely nice to us but the white people are extremely clannish. Our only friends here are a small number of other recent transplants, from CA, who refuse to have anything to do with the locals. We hate the lack of work ethic in NM, the mediocre health care in many areas, the horrible Walmarts, and a few other things. What I like is the quiet, the blue skies, and, at night, the star studded skies. There's also lots of room on my ranch for my dog and cats to run. I want to go home to Seattle!

Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM

38 posts, read 79,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I'm sorry, Pinkky, that you find yourself feeling this way, too, in the "Land of Entrapment". My husband and I moved here to rural NM two years ago from Washington State. We are well-adjusted, happy, friendly people who like to be adaptable and blend in. Well, this is one of those very small communities consisting of descendants of early pioneer families. We are outsiders and a couple of people have told us to "get out of town", that we are not wanted here, and to watch our backs. Some folks are polite to your face and then lie about you behind your back. Because we have a nice home, someone is spreading rumors that we must be drug dealers! There are a couple of Zuni Indians who have been genuinely nice to us but the white people are extremely clannish. Our only friends here are a small number of other recent transplants, from CA, who refuse to have anything to do with the locals. We hate the lack of work ethic in NM, the mediocre health care in many areas, the horrible Walmarts, and a few other things. What I like is the quiet, the blue skies, and, at night, the star studded skies. There's also lots of room on my ranch for my dog and cats to run. I want to go home to Seattle!
I am so sorry about that! I know how you feel..I have people say to me and my family to go back to California. If you mind me asking do you live in East mountains? Because I have experienced that there. All of what you mentioned has happened to my family too. My dad came here looking to get more business but could not because he didn't have "connections" The only friends i have had were from out of state. They also could not fit in at all. Very disappointing.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkey View Post
I am so sorry about that! I know how you feel..I have people say to me and my family to go back to California. If you mind me asking do you live in East mountains? Because I have experienced that there. All of what you mentioned has happened to my family too. My dad came here looking to get more business but could not because he didn't have "connections" The only friends i have had were from out of state. They also could not fit in at all. Very disappointing.
We live in the western side of the state. We dislike shopping so much here that we often drive to AZ to shop--the stores are cleaner and the employees more helpful. We moved here for the weather and because property was cheap. Should have done a whole lot more research. Would have rented first but there were no rentals here. Lesson learned--the hard way!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM

38 posts, read 79,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guycmcd View Post
As you know, no place is friendly or unfriendly. Always, it's the people. Perhaps some of what you are describing is a reflection of yourself.

Moderator cut: Please, we don't need to bash other states.

You might also enroll in some post-secondary communication classes to improve your skills with the language. I noted a dozen or so grammatical, spelling, mechanics errors in your short blurb.

My wife and I have owned property in the Cloudcroft area for several years, visiting it and NM regularly, but are not native NM folks. We were planning to build here until existing housing prices, especially 2nd homes, began crashing. Now one can get a much better buy on an existing cabin than building new.

However, and this is the important point, if I may, if you are not happy where you are, and if you have looked within yourself to examine the source of the problems you're having with acceptance, then exercise your God-given right to live where you wish.

My wife and I are going on a great trek this Thanksgiving having heard of hundreds of rich folks' 2nd homes being in distressed sale condition, foreclosed, or short sales in the Denver foothills subdivisions. Since we are retiring, we will choose to live where we wish, without care/concern about neighbors or relatives.

To visit relatives, God allowed man to invent the airplane and automobile.

As for neighbors, as Robert Frost wrote, "...Good fences make good neighbors..."

Sorry that my grammar wasn't the best..i wrote this at 2AM and i was exhausted. We came here to accually start a buisness and failed because we didnt have like i said "connections". My dad was born here all of his family left to CA. He moved back 40 years later to discover its not the same NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Sorry to hear that NM is not a good match for you. Do you mind sharing where in NM you live? Hopefully the next place you live will be a better match and will allow you to be happier.

It is true when people talk about "looking within" if you are unhappy, but I am a believer that some places simply are not a good match. It is very hard to be happy living in a place that is not a good match.

For the most part I have been happy living in NM (have only lived in Albuquerque), but there is a lot that I don't like about it too. Now that we have children the negatives outweigh the positives for us, so we are also looking to relocate.

No place is perfect, but it's always great when you can find a place that is agreeable with you, your personality, and your lifestyle in most ways.

Good luck to you!
I live in Albuquerque. I should've been more specific. In the past 8 years we have moved around alot. Albuquerque being the worst. Other places have been OK not the best but not as bad as ABQ. I dont recommend raising a family here. I went to public school and its bad I remember the police being called a few times in one month. After that I pretty much had to be homeschooled.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-16-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,659 times
I know plenty of people who have moved here and most love it. They have made friends easily and adjusted well. Everyplace isn't for everybody. Sorry to hear about those that have had a bad time. I don't know any of you but the few I know that have not fitted in, they have not been very friendly people either and are judgemental and critical of everything. People usually respond better to positive people. You usually get what you give out.

Hope all of you find a place that fits you.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 20,488 times
about 400 years ago, Billy Shakespeare wrote, "there is nothing good or bad but that thinking makes it so..."

methinks somebody has way too much time on his/her hands...

and, Townandcountrygal, I toured Seattle this past summer. delightful climate, waterfront was outstanding, the greenies overrun the state and make commerce almost impossible,however...

to each his/own, I'll take the foothills west of Denver....

and a sensible investment program and advisor for the past 40 years...

giving oneself options is a great thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque