Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM

78 posts, read 229,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
I remember reading some sort of note in an analysis somewhere saying something like, "New Mexico has more PhD's per square mile than anyplace else in the country." That's probably not what it said exactly, but it was something like that. I'm assuming a large percentage of those people are in ABQ with the lab, base and colleges.

I found getting a job here was much easier than finding work in Chicago. And overall, I've found that even the less-educated folks in ABQ are mostly more well-rounded in terms of knowing how to function in society and use the skills they DO have to keep themselves afloat than people in other places I've lived (including the Windy City). I lived in Chicago for two years and found that, in general, intelligence levels were MUCH lower per-person than they are here. I know that's not factual and I certainly can't prove it - just a personal observation.

The time I spent in Chicago was the worst period of my life - laid off, couldn't find work, hated the culture, didn't find the people very stimulating, couldn't stand my neighborhood, etc., etc. And no offense to Steel Ovaries, or other native Chicagoans - the city does have a lot of other great things to offer: great architecture, decent food (if you can afford it), great museums, etc. But moving here was a total 180-degree turn in the right direction. Yes, I'm definitely happy to be here.
You misunderstood my post. I was sticking up for Albuquerque! My husband and I are thinking of moving there and I have been doing tons of research. I have come across alot of negative opinions, so I decided to seek out the facts and waht I am finding is all pretty positive. The stats look a hell of alot better than where we live now (the hell that is Phoenix). My point was, I didn't believe the data other posters were coming up with because it wasn't jiving with the positive stuff I am finding.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
I too am from out of state and worked in the elem. schools. You would not believe now uninvolved parents are and how disrespectful students were to staff. Even staff were extremely catty and unprofessional. I felt like I was dealing with children and adult "CHildren". Drugs, weapons, bullying, abuse, you name it, I saw it at the ELEM. level. I live in a "nice" part of far NE ABQ and still had cars broken into behind our house and tires stollen. WTF.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:13 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
The past couple days are a reminder to me of how variable and subjective impressions of cities can be. I remember telling a friend in Philadelphia who was unhappy living there that I became a lot happier there when I became more active and more involved in things. Obvious enough, but it gets overlooked. I realize not every city works for everyone equally in terms of what it offers, but for me there is plenty to do here.

I was out late last night doing my thing downtown, and rather than being aware of the crowds of kids milling around, acting like thugs, or drunks, or tweakers, etc. etc., I was in fact almost completely oblivious to everyone else on Central. My own world pushed them out of the way too much for them to touch me. It was quite striking. I don't think I've been that happy walking along Central downtown at night in a long time (or maybe ever).

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM

212 posts, read 689,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I was out late last night doing my thing downtown, and rather than being aware of the crowds of kids milling around, acting like thugs, or drunks, or tweakers, etc. etc., I was in fact almost completely oblivious to everyone else on Central. My own world pushed them out of the way too much for them to touch me. It was quite striking. I don't think I've been that happy walking along Central downtown at night in a long time (or maybe ever).
That's the way to be.

Doesn't matter where you are, happiness comes from within.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:07 PM

414 posts, read 1,019,846 times
I'm unhappy (ok well not really unhappy....discontent, more like) not being in Albuquerque. Does that count?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM

153 posts, read 211,522 times
Default Ignorance

Being a NM native, what you will experience is a backward, ignorant,
uneducated class of people amongst a low percentage of highly educated influential white people. I was born and raised here, in my own uneducated and ignorant hispanic family we experienced racism since my mother failed to marry within her own "kind" and married a white man. We were not accepted in the public school system and were harrassed for being "coyote" or "wedo/weda" mind you this was in the heavily hispanic North Valley. I know this sounds sterotypical, unfortunatley, most locals and natives know it to be true. This is why NM has such a hard time grasping any real growth (urban) lots of old school hispanics do not like change, especially "outsiders"
hence having their walls up. It's cultural, and it is the land of entrapment.
I moved from ABQ in 1996 to Dallas, experienced a big city. I moved back
recently and feel even more opression than I did growing up. I think at one
time ABQ was a neat city, but too many people moving in trying to change
a city that doesn't want change will keep it unproductive and dysfunctional.
Look at how the hispanics dominate political office, mostly to line their own pockets. It's unfortunate, but if you have a young family that you are trying to protect from gangs, teenage pregnancy, drug use, alcohol abuse and high drop out rates, then choose a more conservative city that doesn't have such a high poverty level. If you have something to contribute, then get ready
to pay what I refer to as "deadbeat" tax, we have many people on the "system" that are draining what is left our failing economy.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Default NM rates top in hideous crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Papillon mom,

To be honest, I can't fathom how you feel ABQ is so unsafe. I live in an area south of UNM that most people think is one of ABQ's most unsafe. I've never felt at all worried. Here's the thing - paranoia about crime is rampant in our society - and to be fair, we do have higher rates of violent crime than almost all other developed countries. But in my experience, even in the most dangerous cities in the U.S. (and in the worst neighborhoods to boot) you'll likely be fine if you aren't looking for trouble.

To be so paranoid about crime in a city that doesn't have a very high violent crime rate, is a little absurd. If you are so worried, be proactive in your neighborhood association, get involved in some way. Don't just vent a silly rant on a webpage complaining that you can't wait to move away.
We made the list. Check it out. What you don't realize (and I know it to be true, we have law enforcement family members here, along with personally knowing the director of the FBI that was here for a SHORT amount of time)
we have MANY crimes that are not even reported. You think it's a matter of not looking for trouble? You can't be serious? Unless you are a trained martial arts individual, or packing...it's straight up denial. You DO need to watch your back.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:52 PM

Default Advanced degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Ovaries View Post
I don't live in Albuquerque. But I can look up the data on THIS VERY WEB SITE!! So, I have to ask... where are you all finding your data that says the people are uneducated, don't hold Bachelor's degrees, the unemployment rate is out of control and the wages are low? When compared to major cities like Chicago or NY (I am from Chicago, btw), ABQ holds a higher precentage of college grads, has fewer people living in poverty, has a comparable median salary (which converts to much higher disposable income when considering the cost of living) and has a lower unemployment rate. People need to do research before they start claiming their opinions and personal limited experiences as the gospel.
I can speak from experience. Most of the folks I know left the state with their advanced degrees to work in their fields (and make more money.) Some have returned to retire. I don't think this site has the correct data, we have
many undocumented world travelers that do not factor into what is reported.
I do know this. NM is not keeping their best and brightest, unfortunately.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Default South Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillon Mom View Post
I guess some of my worries comes from the stuff I have personally witnessed. My second year here one of my former students walked over to see me from his high school. On the way here he was jumped by some local gang members. He is 15 and alone they were in their 20's and there were 3 of them. They beat him so badly that by the time he got to our office we didn't even recognize him. When he told us his name I was shocked it was him. He ended up with fractures to the face, broken bones (ribs and an arm) and internal injuries. All because they didn't like the way he looked at them.

Then there are the times when we first moved in that people would come to our door asking for money. Usually I don't mind and just politely say no and shut the door. One night a guy thought I was home alone and when I went to shut the door he put his foot in the door then pushed it open. Said he wasn't leaving until I gave him something then actually stepped into my house. My husband came out of the office to see what was going on (he is a very big guy). When the guy saw him he took off.

Another time my husband and I were downtown and witnessed a woman get her purse snatched. The guy ran up besides her pushed her over and took her purse. A guy near by him chased him but lost him quickly. The woman was ok but shaken.

Oh yeah one of my favorites- a student of mine came in bleeding from the neck. He had been sliced and threatened at passing by another student who had a knife. He did not want to tell us who because the kid's father had threatened to kill him if he every told on his son for anything.

This are just a few of the many examples that stick out in my mind for why I do not feel safe here. Someone asked for opinions and that is what I am giving. So I am not just coming on here to complain I am giving my opinion. I wish someone had told me this stuff before we moved here.
Would you happen to live in the South Valley or what I refer to as the "war"
zone in the SE heights?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
Being a NM native, what you will experience is a backward, ignorant,
uneducated class of people amongst a low percentage of highly educated influential white people. I was born and raised here, in my own uneducated and ignorant hispanic family we experienced racism since my mother failed to marry within her own "kind" and married a white man. We were not accepted in the public school system and were harrassed for being "coyote" or "wedo/weda" mind you this was in the heavily hispanic North Valley. I know this sounds sterotypical, unfortunatley, most locals and natives know it to be true. This is why NM has such a hard time grasping any real growth (urban) lots of old school hispanics do not like change, especially "outsiders"
hence having their walls up. It's cultural, and it is the land of entrapment.
I moved from ABQ in 1996 to Dallas, experienced a big city. I moved back
recently and feel even more opression than I did growing up. I think at one
time ABQ was a neat city, but too many people moving in trying to change
a city that doesn't want change will keep it unproductive and dysfunctional.
Look at how the hispanics dominate political office, mostly to line their own pockets. It's unfortunate, but if you have a young family that you are trying to protect from gangs, teenage pregnancy, drug use, alcohol abuse and high drop out rates, then choose a more conservative city that doesn't have such a high poverty level. If you have something to contribute, then get ready
to pay what I refer to as "deadbeat" tax, we have many people on the "system" that are draining what is left our failing economy.
It sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder and that it colors your view of the city and its people. So you were called names because you were part Anglo back when you were in school. Get over it. The danger I see in you is that because of that experience you now believe all people of Hispanic descent are somehow backwards, racist and ingnorant. I pity you for having such a weak mind that it allowed you to form opinions on a whole group of people based on how some kids (and apparently some of your own family) treated you when you were little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque