Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM

103 posts, read 233,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgonz View Post
After reading all these theads about Albuquerque, I feel that for some people Albuquerque is a great place to live, to start over, or to spend a few years in. For others, Albuquerque can be a dangerious and crime ridden place. Like many cities, Albuquerque has its good and its bad side. For this reason, if anybody is thinking of moving to Albuquerque or anywhere else, please visit first before you decide to rent a moving truck. Take a look around, talk to people, visit blogs, and make sure the city fits, for each city has it own culture. If a city does not fit you, perhaps you might need to turn down that job that might bring you and your family here despite the better pay you might get for the move. Please, don't settle down in a city that does not agree with you. The money isn't worth it; the time in wasted emotinal energy isn't worth it either. You will only regret it later, and you will come to resent yourself and doubt yourself in the future. So if you have decided on Albuquerque after a visit, or a few visits, and the family is happy about it too--Welcome! If not, good luck and best wishes on finding a new city.
Albuquerque is not a "crime ridden" place. You comment as if crime is rampant in the city.

Have you lived in Philadelphia? I was raised in Wilmington, Delaware in the 60s and 70s. Twenty minutes from Philly. Now that was crime then, and is only worse now. Problems were so bad in Philly in the 1970s that when a house full of radicals wouldn't move (actually a row of houses), the then mayor decided to bomb them out of it (MOVE incident).

This weekend, in the Seattle area, four cops are murdered sitting in a Starbucks coffee shop, reviewing their cases on their laptops, drinking coffee in the meantime. Same thing happened with a cop in Minneapolis about 20 years ago, only he was sitting in a pizza joint, going over his cases on paper.

Two years ago around December 6, in Omaha, Nebraska, eight people are murdered in a Von Maur department store by a lone gunmen, who eventually killed himself. That store is in a large mall, where I will probably be working for the holiday season.

I was never robbed in Albuquerque, and my apartment door was open to the outside. My car was never broken into. Watch COPS once in a while and you might see just as much crime in other cities, too.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM

103 posts, read 233,011 times
Sorry, folks. The cop killing was near Tacoma, Washington, and the coffee shop was not a Starbucks. Just wanted to get the fact right.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 AM

5 posts, read 13,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I thought about moving back to Albuquerque but I am bit hesitant because of the following reasons:

Land of Enchantment soon becomes Land of Entrapment: Beautiful skies, mountains are all great but after a while it is almost as if the beauty of the state fades away when you are poor and cannot find a good job.

"Land of manana" attitude to life: "No problem, we will get it done" type of attitude, but in reality nothing gets done also known as chronic incompetence

Low standards/Low expectations culture: Very prevalent in Albuquerque and the Land of Enchantment.

Anyways, how do you deal with these things? Are you happy in Albuquerque? Ever thought about leaving, if so WHY?

9 years of the 10 I lived there were absolutely miserable. WAY happier in Phoneix, Arizona! The quickest way to sum it up - the poorest, dullest place I've ever lived. Good luck...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:49 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,217,092 times
Glad to hear you found what you wanted in life. Too bad ABQ wasn't your style.

Of course, you lived in Rio Rancho... not ABQ.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom
Don't know if anyone posted this, but I have to tell
a certain poster, from way back on page 7, ...
Page 7 ?

You need to quote the post #. For instance, this is post #234.

I'm posting this on page 6 ( for me ) because I have city-data set
to show me 40 posts per page. "Page 7" does not have meaning.

I'm guessing you mean post #65.
I can only guess.

It's not a nice post. It lacks good line breaks for readability,
but it's fairly well written, IMO. I know a couple of other
posters that have ol' Mr./Ms. Citrus beat as far as bad form goes.

Quote:
that most people with a college degree know that "irregardless" is not a word.
Technically, it is.
I don't think I've ever used it, but it is a word:

" .... a blend of irrrespective and regardless.
Considered nonstandard."

Quote:
Perhaps you come across as uneducated?
With a huge chip on your shoulder?
Hmm, not too difficult to see why no jobs for you!
Probably.
Probably.
Right.

Unfortunately, not being able to construct a proper sentence
is a lot like having severe halitosis. The person has no way
of knowing that they have the affliction and thus have no
way of seeing/smelling themselves as others do.

"People are avoiding/criticizing me for no good reason.
They are all a bunch of jerks."

Last edited by mortimer; 12-01-2009 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM

78 posts, read 229,246 times
I don't live in Albuquerque. But I can look up the data on THIS VERY WEB SITE!! So, I have to ask... where are you all finding your data that says the people are uneducated, don't hold Bachelor's degrees, the unemployment rate is out of control and the wages are low? When compared to major cities like Chicago or NY (I am from Chicago, btw), ABQ holds a higher precentage of college grads, has fewer people living in poverty, has a comparable median salary (which converts to much higher disposable income when considering the cost of living) and has a lower unemployment rate. People need to do research before they start claiming their opinions and personal limited experiences as the gospel.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM

350 posts, read 768,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Ovaries View Post
I don't live in Albuquerque. But I can look up the data on THIS VERY WEB SITE!! So, I have to ask... where are you all finding your data that says the people are uneducated, don't hold Bachelor's degrees, the unemployment rate is out of control and the wages are low? When compared to major cities like Chicago or NY (I am from Chicago, btw), ABQ holds a higher precentage of college grads, has fewer people living in poverty, has a comparable median salary (which converts to much higher disposable income when considering the cost of living) and has a lower unemployment rate. People need to do research before they start claiming their opinions and personal limited experiences as the gospel.
I remember reading some sort of note in an analysis somewhere saying something like, "New Mexico has more PhD's per square mile than anyplace else in the country." That's probably not what it said exactly, but it was something like that. I'm assuming a large percentage of those people are in ABQ with the lab, base and colleges.

I found getting a job here was much easier than finding work in Chicago. And overall, I've found that even the less-educated folks in ABQ are mostly more well-rounded in terms of knowing how to function in society and use the skills they DO have to keep themselves afloat than people in other places I've lived (including the Windy City). I lived in Chicago for two years and found that, in general, intelligence levels were MUCH lower per-person than they are here. I know that's not factual and I certainly can't prove it - just a personal observation.

The time I spent in Chicago was the worst period of my life - laid off, couldn't find work, hated the culture, didn't find the people very stimulating, couldn't stand my neighborhood, etc., etc. And no offense to Steel Ovaries, or other native Chicagoans - the city does have a lot of other great things to offer: great architecture, decent food (if you can afford it), great museums, etc. But moving here was a total 180-degree turn in the right direction. Yes, I'm definitely happy to be here.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM

366 posts, read 869,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes View Post
I remember reading some sort of note in an analysis somewhere saying something like, "New Mexico has more PhD's per square mile than anyplace else in the country." That's probably not what it said exactly, but it was something like that.
Per capita, NM is a huge state.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM

152 posts, read 319,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
San Francisco is only seven square miles!
Actually San Francisco is about 7 miles long by 7 miles wide, not 7 square miles. I know this, because I was born in San Francisco and I lived there until I was 11. I just wanted to clarify that to avoid making SF sound like a REALLY tiny city in area.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,251 times
To answer the original question, I am very, very happy with Albuquerque, and very, very happy in Albuquerque
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque