Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 24,571,953 times

Advertisements

Stick-built frames with particle board sheathing put together by barely trained immigrants working for the lowest bidding developer...

The McDonald's of architecture.

Look at all that adobe material in the foreground!!!

ABQConvict

Old 11-11-2009, 01:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,092,225 times
Bradly, if you work for city govt as a planner, I likely know you. I'm having doubts that you are who you say you are, however. Most planners I know can put together intelligible sentences and are outwardly anti-sprawl.

If there are city planners in ABQ (and I'm honestly pretty sure there aren't any) that support sprawl such as the picture you've presented, we're in serious trouble.

You seem to be in some serious denial Bradly - simply look at building permits issued over the last year, and compare those figures with building permits issued, per year on average, between 2000-2005. The drop will astound you.

It sounds as if the new mayor is very pro-sprawl. He likely will have to subsidize the development of new homes (at the cost of taxpayers in the city) to maintain these sprawl patterns of development. Given the debt that builds in city coffers, and the ensuing environmental, social, and health issues attributed, ABQ should be concerned should this be the case. I'll wait and see what happens.

In the meantime, I've gotten the thread off-track, and for that I apologize! No more comments about sustainabillity over here from me!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,146,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly
... building permits have gone threw....
I hate it when they throw building permits around.
They could hurt someone!!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,021,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
Bradly, if you work for city govt as a planner, I likely know you. I'm having doubts that you are who you say you are, however. Most planners I know can put together intelligible sentences and are outwardly anti-sprawl.

If there are city planners in ABQ (and I'm honestly pretty sure there aren't any) that support sprawl such as the picture you've presented, we're in serious trouble.

You seem to be in some serious denial Bradly - simply look at building permits issued over the last year, and compare those figures with building permits issued, per year on average, between 2000-2005. The drop will astound you.

It sounds as if the new mayor is very pro-sprawl. He likely will have to subsidize the development of new homes (at the cost of taxpayers in the city) to maintain these sprawl patterns of development. Given the debt that builds in city coffers, and the ensuing environmental, social, and health issues attributed, ABQ should be concerned should this be the case. I'll wait and see what happens.

In the meantime, I've gotten the thread off-track, and for that I apologize! No more comments about sustainabillity over here from me!

First off, this is a thread on a "forum". I could careless to use correct spelling, punctuation or intelligible sentences. For my job or somwhere else thats what counts.

Second, My job is my job. I busted my you know what off in college to be where I'am today. It gets me damn good money, and I have my pros and cons about sprawl. But I'am not against it. I myself live in the Suburbs of ALbuquerque in a cookie cutter home. Which about 350,000+ Albuquerqueans live in!

And No trouble at all I have worked here for about 7 years. Same crap. I also worked in Las Vegas, wow thats a fun city especially if you love sprawl. Yes the building permits have dropped silly, that does not mean we are not building or developments are underway. You really don't even know what you are talking about. Leave it up to the expert that went to Clemson for this.

I look forword to working with Mayor Berry and his new staff at the city hall, I on other hand am not going anywhere, I was offered a better job here thats why I came back.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,256,899 times
SC Game ***** 4 Life!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,021,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
SC Game ***** 4 Life!

Its all about CLEMSON TIGERS buddy!
'better ask somebody! haha

Those days were sweet!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,502,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
The presentation is suffering and it does make the posts less convincing.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,469,593 times
There's also the small fact that the city has not added any new staff for quite some time ( with a few exceptions )There's been nothing posted recently ( internally or externally ) that is even remotely similar to a city planner position.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,146,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly
...I could careless to use correct spelling, punctuation or intelligible sentences. ...
I'd like to point out that you misspeeled
I am incapable of

Old 11-13-2009, 02:11 PM

66 posts, read 331,570 times
My husband and I have been here 2 1/2 years. We cannot wait to leave. I love the balloon fiesta and the nature trails but cannot stand the crime rate and the thugs. Just yesterday, someone hit my car twice in traffic then took off and then a guy tried to run us over in a parking lot after he finished yelling obscenities at another driver pulling out. This is just an example of some of the craziness we have seen since living here.

I work at a local middle school and have had at least 3 weapons in my classroom each year since I have been here. Last year while looking for a gun they found drugs on a girl (lots of drugs- she was selling for her mom). My students have no idea how to handle confrontation without throwing punches or stabbing. I do not work in a horrible part of town either.

What people have said about the lack of wanting a good education is true. Most of our kids couldn't care less about school. Parents will not call back or come in for a conference. they figure their kids are our problem for 7 hours a day. Also, this state does not appreciate an educated workforce. I have my M.Ed and because of that get $1 a year extra from APS- $1!

I do have friends here and there are some very nice people but I will not miss looking over my shoulder and having to be hyper aware of my surroundings. I am tired of hearing gunshots from my backyard most Sat nights and having the neighbors sell drugs in front of their house. I do not live in a bad area either it just seems to be everywhere here.

I think people who have lived here for a long time just begin to think this is normal. It is not normal. We have lived in 4 different states and have never felt this way.

Just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.