Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,373,163 times

Advertisements

Ah, but, if you are not happy, then its up to you to make yourself happy. Not my job. Yours alone.

I sense a strong vibe of jealousy. You're miserable here and we're not.

Do something about it. Either adapt or move on. No one is holding you here.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,042,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Ah, but, if you are not happy, then its up to you to make yourself happy. Not my job. Yours alone.

I sense a strong vibe of jealousy. You're miserable here and we're not.

Do something about it. Either adapt or move on. No one is holding you here.

no one said it was your job to make anyone happy, but being around good people can make you happy, if you were in prison I dont think you would be too happy.

no trolling here, just debating

Old 10-24-2009, 11:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,042,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew64 View Post
Well, NM is one of the states I would consider moving to. I hopefully will have an interview with First Nations next week (playing phone tag now). I can say that I am ready to get out of the Deep South. I am a Yankee, and came to New Orleans to get my MSW. I got it, along with Katrina, displacement, and learning that there are some very mean spirited persons in the South. Yes, crime in my part of Alabama is lower, but educational standards and test scores are terrible- Alabama is 49th out of 50 states.
I would prefer that persons just be "mean" to my face, and get it over with. That way I know where I stand. Down here, it is all sugar and sweetness, lots of "honey" and manners, but once the person is out of earshot- the gloves come off.
Then again, it can be that way anywhere. But, believe it or not, job opportunities in my field (Social Work) are much better in your neck of the woods than in Alabama. And- my cost of living would drop by three percent, while my salary for a comparable job would increase by about the same.
All in all- I am ready for a change, and Albuquerque looks pretty good to me.
Anyone live in smaller towns or suburbs in surrounding areas? I used to have a 90 mile per day commute to my old job, so commuting is not an issue.

if you are concerned with test scores and people being polite to your face and mean behind your back then maybe you should rethink the move to NM.

We are one of the worst states in education(top5) and 2nd for teen pregnancies and coming from a native New Mexican I can tell ya that people do appear to be somewhat polite to your face ,then they talk bad about you behind your back. Its here too, actually Alabama overall probably has a higher ranking in the quality of life department than NM does.

New Mexico's best rankings come from- fitness and business related

New Mexico's worst rankings come from-crime,poverty,education,teen pregnancies, dwi's,suicides, and gangs. NM ranks in the top 10 for all of these except DWI's which it just reached #11 this year.

will any of this effect you in any way if you move, maybe not, its not as bad here as it looks in stats but I have never lived in another state so I dont have anything to compare it too.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
no one said it was your job to make anyone happy, but being around good people can make you happy, if you were in prison I dont think you would be too happy.

no trolling here, just debating
To listen to Catrinac, one would think she was in prison. Why should we make her happy. She obviously thrives on being miserable...at least that is how she comes across.

Personally, I am tired of her whineing and bashing. We get it...she doesn't like it here. .

Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,408,398 times
Darn, smug and classless Albuquerqueans! Let's all move to Salt Lake so catrinac can finally be happy here. I'll call the mattress store to let them know our plans. At least we will sleep comfortably up there. :-)

ABQConvict

Old 10-25-2009, 12:25 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,454,684 times
If all of the smug and classless Albuquerqueans left....would she still hear us scream?

Old 10-25-2009, 01:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,403,572 times
Quote:
I've always been a firm of believer of "Only you can make yourself happy".
Those kind of responses always get me. They completely miss the point. Of course, you can make yourself happier by your attitude. But a lot has to do with your surroundings. Wouldn't you be happier in the Bahamas than the North Pole? Wouldn't you be happier being around at least a few people who think like you, rather than everyone being opposed to your every thought.

When people ask about how happy someone is in a particular community, it is to get a feel for the community. Not to say that they can only be happy under certain circumstances.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Those kind of responses always get me. They completely miss the point. Of course, you can make yourself happier by your attitude. But a lot has to do with your surroundings. Wouldn't you be happier in the Bahamas than the North Pole? Wouldn't you be happier being around at least a few people who think like you, rather than everyone being opposed to your every thought.

When people ask about how happy someone is in a particular community, it is to get a feel for the community. Not to say that they can only be happy under certain circumstances.

Jeez Louise! Sorry I was not PC.

I did not miss the point. I am just sick and tired of her whineing all the time. And she is responsible for making herself happier. I think you missed the point. Go through the forum and read all of her posts.....her first complaint was people looked at her "that way"; whatever the heck "that way" is.
I do not think she'd be happy anywheres other than her precious Salt Lake City.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:28 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,033,182 times
Default Money does buy happiness...but only up to a point

Quote:
No I have never been on welfare, and hopefully never will be.

It just seems that to some people money is the most important thing. Guess I am different because I am not a materialistic person.
I'd like to chime in and say that money does buy happines....up to a point. If you are in poverty, having money to buy things definitely makes you happier. However, once you reach a certain point...enough $$ to buy food, pay rent/mortgage on a modest home or apartment, enough to have health insurance, and some to put in short and long term savings (like retirement), then having more will not make you happier after you reach that point. This is usually around the income level of $40K per year. Once you earn more than that, your happiness has to come from other things...relationships/spirituality/enjoying your work, etc.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:53 PM

10 posts, read 20,896 times
Smile Growing as a person is ALWAYS a good thing.

This is a great post and I commend you for not being a victim and taking charge of your life. I do not have a college degree and have still done well. Much has to do with drive...which you obviously have, along with the many millionaires/billionaires who have made their fortunes without college.

When I lived in ABQ in 2006 I wanted to be Norma Rae and get the people to rise up and demand better. I witnessed a lot of stuff (being from CA at the time) that really upset me...and people who didn't understand that they didn't have to "settle" for crap jobs, etc. I did witness what you mentioned regarding some people being fatalistic.

Intelligence is attractive in a person. I just went through hours of testing for a job in ABQ and found out I was the first person to pass in 3 months of the company testing people. I was shocked! I will admit the tests were more difficult than I expected. But what shocked me more was when the nice HR woman told me that she gets resumes that list TEXTING SPEED as a skill! WTF?! That might be okay if you are applying for a job as a teenager, but come on people...

I've managed to go off on a tangent now and got myself all worked up. LOL! I just meant to say that all the people who put you down or exited your life because you wanted to improve yourself are not worth having in your life. Let them be the crabs in the boiling pot of water while you climb on out.

Best wishes,
Atheria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Catrinac, I can totally relate to what you have stated.

I never put an emphasis on education while growing up. My family never really encouraging me to get 'A' grades or even go to college. My grades suffered through high school and I regret a lot of the decisions that I have made in regards to education. I floated around in life when I got out of high school, and soon realized that I needed to get a better education in order to live a better life. So, I put myself through college and got my degree. I am now en route to completing my Masters, which is something I never would have thought of doing just a few years ago.

Weird thing is, and I have mentioned this several times before here on this board, an education, especially a higher education, such as a Masters or PhD, is not something that is really prized here in Albuquerque and much of New Mexico.

It was a real culture shock when I moved from Burque to L.A., just how much and education means to people and how important it is to have one. When competing for jobs out there, it is a dog-eat-dog world, and only the best survive. People of all races and ethnicities strive to get their kids in a prestigious academy at an early age so they can be prepared for college, which prepares them for the real world. The UC college system is among the best and most elite of the country, if not the best. The average GPA for entering freshmen for Fall, 2002 at the University of California (UC), Los Angeles achieved an average grade point average (GPA) of 4.23. At UC, San Diego, admitted freshmen had an average GPA of 4.03. Likewise, 87% of incoming freshman at California State University (CSU) campuses had at least a 3.0 GPA, which is different from the UC system.

Now, that is a lot of competition and brain power. People desire a higher education and it is more revered out there, and in places like New England and the east coast, than it is here in NM. A job opening in L.A. or San Francisco might have some of the brightest, most competitive minds from around the world, with a higher degree from some of the most prestigious universities on the planet. If you tell people or employers here that you have a PhD, the reaction is "so?", or, sometimes even worse.

In all my time living in the cities that I have lived in, I have never understood the attitudes of Burqueños and New Mexicans in regards to success, education, money & finance, and having a higher standard for one's self. A lot of locals suffer from "fatalism" and "defeatism", which is a subject I explored in another post. It also seems like the more you want to succeed, the more people try to bring you down. And even the most modest form of success is met with contempt. In Spanish, we have a word for what this is called: "envidias". And that, along with fatalism and defeatism, is what is keeping the state down, and crime and hopelessness up.

Not that I think that I am 'better' than people, because I know that I am not. I most certainly have my faults. However, I have sacrificed years of my life, time, and money to educate myself in order to better myself, my family, my community, my country, and my planet. I'd like to get something in return. After all, isn't that what an education is for???

I could have dropped out of high school like 50% of the state, and sat around smoking weed, getting drunk and DWI's, joined a gang, getting women pregnant out of wedlock, and end up in prison costing taxpayers money and causing families grief. I know people who have done this. Heck, even some of my family members have done time. I refuse to be that way. I refuse to lower my standards. I refuse to become another statistic. I choose to better myself through sacrifice, hard work, imagination, knowledge, creativity, and entrepreneurship.

So, I am sorry, but a college degree is not just another piece of paper. It is a key to a prosperous future - a future of nearly unlimited potential and opportunity. It is a citation and commendation, stating that one single person made the sacrifice and effort to go through four, seven, even twelve years of schooling. It is a testament to one's will, that they have the intestinal fortitude to go out alone, away from home, to start a new life, and endure a sometimes grueling and frightening life of homework, tests, labs, lectures, and dissertations, and meet and accept challenges they have not yet encountered, and faced those challenges and conquer them.

Every person has a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. So, if someone wants to live their life without an education and work from job to job to job for menial pay, so be it. If one wants to be miserable throughout their life, so be it. If someone wants to be jealous or bitter and angry that someone actually had the audacity to take time and effort to educate themselves to have a good life, so be it. That is their decision. I've gone the other route, and let me tell you, it sucks. I've been broke. I've been poor. I've had people get in my face and tell me off and try to make me miserable because I made something of myself. I've been threatened with physical violence because I 'sound smart'. I've lost friends and stopped contact with family members who have somehow gotten an evil seed planted in their head that I think I am better than they. Some people that I have never even met have done this to me. I've also had money, lived in great neighborhoods, had rich friends, and great jobs. Let me tell you, there is no comparison. It is all because of two things: attitude and education. It's as simple as that.

You have every right and opportunity to better yourself in this country, a country where there is nearly endless opportunity. Please do not deny me that same opportunity.

--BtK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.