Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 AM

321 posts, read 839,006 times

Advertisements

Someone is jealous.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Anyplace that sees a substantial influx of people from outside the area, as New Mexico has, is going to see a reaction, usually a negative one, from long-time residents. This is in part because of negative experiences (perceived or in reality) the locals have had with newish arrivals in a variety of ways, and also in part because of natural suspicions of strangers and newcomers.
Often new arrivals bring new ideas (frequently very good ideas) or exhibit behaviors that threaten, in some way, the long established order or way of doing things. It's easy to understand why people get that "what's wrong with the way things are?" feeling, though such feelings are often based in simple knee-jerk reactions to change. Change, to many people, implies criticism of what has gone on in the past...so they react defensively. Doesn't mean it's right...but that's what happens.
This is not limited in some way to New Mexico, it happens anywhere and everywhere there is an inflow of migrants. The exact same thing happens in my old hometown area in Michigan. A very beautiful and desireable area of relatively low population is discovered by folks who want to move in. They do, there is a reaction to it, some hiccups, but eventually everybody settles down and realize there are overwhelmingly good people on both sides, with the normal occurance of idiots also on both sides. Ultimately, the entire community benefits from the new energy, fresh perspective and talents of the newcomers...and everybody is better off. Even with that, some people will cling to resentment and bitterness, but they're their own punishment.
I suspect there is an additional facet to this phenomena in New Mexico, and that has to do with longstanding historic Hispanic/Anglo issues. This may amplify some of the perceptions and attitudes I refer to above, again, on both sides.
I disagree that these people have a knee-jerk reaction.

When thousands of outsiders start moving in, they do start making changes and destroying the way of life that existed before they came.

Thta's the irony - people from the city move out into the country for example, they think they want the more relaxed way of life but they want the big roads and the big malls because they don't really want to leave behind their comforts. Next thing they're complaining about the country smells, demanding neighbors get rid of cows and horses so they can have it like they had it in the city.

Like that part of Michigan, it was once little traffic, fresh air, a quaint small town place, small grocery stores and shops and tons of people from Detroit and Grand Rapids moved in, insisted on bringing their malls and traffic and urban sprawl.

As for New Mexico, the problem isn't with the long-time old group of "anglos" or "hispanics" there and don't forget that many of the "hispanics" are new arrivals too and adding to the traffic, pollution, government services, urban sprawl, they fill the malls and the Walmarts more than anyone.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM

390 posts, read 952,891 times
CAVA, you are so correct.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:57 PM

202 posts, read 353,253 times
I definitely don't believe in 'one size fits all' when it comes to people and places. I think our spirits react to the energy in the place and that may be for good or for bad.

I lived in NM for 6 years. I moved there not knowing anyone and not even having a job in place. I moved from CO where I had lived most of my life. I was looking for the kind of change that ABQ offered me at the time. I think I was in a place internally that was open to the experience of ABQ and fit with ABQ. But over the course of 6 years I felt like I had 20 lives in that I went through so many major changes and overall feel like I developed a love/hate relationship with that place.

I moved away about 4 years ago and sometimes miss it. But there is definitely some tough, not so safe things about albuquerque. I had my apartment robbed at one point. I also had a total of three bikes (all locked up) stolen in a different apartment. Almost everyone I knew had also experienced some kind of property theft at some point.

I appreciate my experience there for the spiritual growth I experienced there. It was a time like no other in my life. NM is definitely not for everybody. Have you seen the movie, Off the Map? It was filmed and takes place in Taos and it's mostly about a transplant from Jersey getting the NM treatment and at one point in the movie one of the main characters tells him, NM is an intense place. I think that sums up my experience there.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM

390 posts, read 952,891 times
Then please leave, and don't let the gate hit your ass on the way out.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 23,337 times
Sorry some aren't happy here, but this thread has been a hoot and has brought back so many of the feelings I had when I moved to Albuquerque 16 years ago. The terms "unfriendly" and "third world" have been brought up - and that's exactly how I felt about New Mexico.

Now, for all it's faults, I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 AM

71 posts, read 157,241 times
spouse and I are seriously contemplating a move from near San Antonio to Alamogordo. He spent over 20 years in Roswell before a move to TX and has missed it for a long time. I am getting a lot of info from this board, trying to understand what a move will mean. We are campers, living on small fixed income and love NM for the climate, fascinating skies, mountain forests, deserts and everything in between. We met friendly people in Alamo and everywhere else in NM that we camped this past summer. TX has many of the same problems that NM has.....but we are looking forward to a slower pace of life.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,369,459 times
I have only met one unfriendly person and that is my next door neighbor. But he is not friendly with anyone.

I love the people here, they are very friendly and very helpful. I'll never move back to the east coast.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,161,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsandyb View Post
My husband and I are looking to move to Alamogordo from San Antonio area. We spent the summer camping, mostly in New Mexico, and loved the climate, spectacular scenery, clear skies, history and met friendly people. Alamo seems to be a busy bustling town, lots of military, with enough shopping, etc. I am looking for artists to interact with, since I am a beginning painter. My husband spent 24 years in Roswell and yearns to move back to NM. Not Roswell, due to the crime and gang activity. I think any small town anywhere can seem unfriendly. If you are church goers or volunteers, that is a way to become part of a community.
Certainly, there are cities and towns in NM which are more welcoming than where we landed. There are small towns where one with the right attitude can integrate, yes--and I have done that in other states. But when you end up in a tiny community of 100 or so of people who are all related to each other, descendants of early homesteaders, it's a whole different situation! We no longer attend the local church since one of the "deacons" told us they don't want newcomers, get out of town, and watch our backs! (no kidding).

Old 11-13-2010, 05:06 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,474,608 times
I'm unhappy that I'm leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque