Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,626 times

Advertisements

HEY, check those crime rate numbers, some of them are adjusted by population and MB has a small population but millions of visitors every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 AM

990 posts, read 1,725,856 times
I like Myrtle Beach and continue to go back, it reminds me of being a kid and family vacations,but,two summers ago we were down by the pavillion one night and a man was shot dead right on the street,in front of Ripleys.That was a little shocking Myrtle Beach has changed in that area-pretty rough looking-this summer we didn't even walk down there,just drove through once.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,827 times
The crime statistics for the Myrtle Beach area are extremely skewed.

The Myrtle Beach area is made up of mulitple cities/towns that "blend together". NMB, MB, Carolina Forest, Surfside, Garden City, and Murrells Inlet.The permanent population of MB is around 30,000. NMB is around 30,000. Carolina Forest is around 30,000...

Carolina Forest residents have a "Myrtle Beach" address, yet they do not live in the city limits of Myrtle Beach (and are not counted as part of the population for crime). There are also "little pockets" of area that are in Myrtle Beach, but aren't considered to be in city limits (don't ask me why - it makes no sense)...so these residents are also not included as part of the population.

The entire Grand Strand area probably has around 150-200,000 residents.

The Grand Strand area gets around 14 million tourists per year.

Crimes committed by these 14 million tourists are included in the total crimes compiled for the area. HOWEVER, they do not count these people as part of the population. So when you're dealing with percentages, this extremely distorts the numbers.

So basically if you take the total number of rapes, murders, burglaries, etc. and divided them by 14million+ people you would have a little more accurate percentages.

I grew up in NMB and have lived in MB ever since college. I have always felt safe in Myrtle Beach. Like any city, there are good and bad areas. USE COMMON SENSE. It's not hard to tell when you might be in an area that is a little shady.

If you have a question about a specific area, just let me know.

Last edited by myrtle843; 09-27-2009 at 06:51 AM..

Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 PM

46 posts, read 144,094 times
Default Could All the Myrtle Beach Crime Hype be a "Conspiracy"?

For years I had dreamed of buying a condo in Myrtle Beach, but my main concern and my pet pieve is safety. When I read reviews and saw some of the crime stats for the area, my heart sank. It seemed like MB must be a hot bed of violent crime. So my fear won out over my dream, and I put my thoughts of buying a home there on hold.

But I continued visiting and talking to people and getting to know the city better and better, and in back of my head was the old adage that "a life lived in fear is a life not worth living". I finally decided to buy a condo located near "Broadway at the Beach".

I feel that I have purchased a little piece of Paradise. There is a continuous police "presence" which is very reassuring, my neighbors are wonderful, and I have found the South Carolinians to be just about the nicest people on Earth.

I am beginning to wonder if all the hype about the crime is perhaps a conspiracy by the locals to keep this wonderful place to themselves and perhaps make sure that all the tourists who fall in love with their city will not all rush to live here permanently. How blessed and grateful I am to have found a condo for $50,000!!! Where else can you buy a piece of Heaven for that price? I have lived at the Jersey Shore, Florida, and Hawaii. I have also traveled the world by ship, plane, train, and bus. NOTHING has ever compared to my little condo in this gorgeous city.

Last edited by Mec4U; 12-12-2009 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Forgot part of text

Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Always felt safe in MB. From Cherry Grove to Murrells Inlet. There are some gorgeous areas to live in that are very friendly and safe.
I've never felt afraid in Myrtle Beach ever...........I've stayed there winters for 9 years and also in some summers previous.
There are always pockets everywhere of shady characters........It is unfortunately a part of life nowdays.
Its a matter of avoiding that and enjoying the rest.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM

59 posts, read 201,686 times
I have to agree with the post Anonymous made.
This is not a place to raise a family, it's a resort area.

I'm checking into the areas anonymous mentioned myself...I have a family and I'm not impressed with culture and values of the small town I am in, next to MB. It's too focused on the tourist trade which is cool, but I had to move here to see myself and now believe I need to move to a regular "community" where I have more support, friends to make and professional work.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 AM

80 posts, read 322,742 times
Default Unnecessary bashing of "resort areas"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg66 View Post
I have to agree with the post Anonymous made.
This is not a place to raise a family, it's a resort area.

I'm checking into the areas anonymous mentioned myself...I have a family and I'm not impressed with culture and values of the small town I am in, next to MB. It's too focused on the tourist trade which is cool, but I had to move here to see myself and now believe I need to move to a regular "community" where I have more support, friends to make and professional work.
Myrtle Beach does not hide its charms or its flaws. There is probably no American city which is easier to research (except for crime statistics). One hour of internet research would show clearly that cultural activities are limited and that the area depends largely on tourism. One two-day visit would confirm it all. If you truly believe that a family cannot be raised in a "resort area," what possessed you to move to Myrtle Beach? Generations of families who have run businesses in the area would also disagree with your contention that a resort area is not a place to raise a family. It can be, if the family takes advantage of the positives a resort area offers. By the way, I prefer city living but realize it is possible for some to live happily in a resort area.

Last edited by lgavrich; 12-23-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Add a thought.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 11,427 times
Check Mug Shots on front page of news paper TheSunNews.com - Myrtle Beach News, Golf, Hotels, Homes, Jobs, Cars

Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 AM

3 posts, read 11,427 times
Drive by Shootings, rape, robbery, home invasions, murders, criminals find this a spot they can come to hide. They rob in other states and come here to hide out. Car Jackings , missing children. There are no certain spots to avoid , it happens all over. Do your searches, the storys are out there.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM

84 posts, read 393,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonsneck View Post
Drive by Shootings, rape, robbery, home invasions, murders, criminals find this a spot they can come to hide. They rob in other states and come here to hide out. Car Jackings , missing children. There are no certain spots to avoid , it happens all over. Do your searches, the storys are out there.

Hey

britonsneck, what name did you used before this one in this forum!
funny you have 3 posts under this name all talking about MB crime.
you must have just wandered in to the forum, and thought you better
be a good Samaritan, help out humanity, and save people from the crime ridden streets of Myrtle Beach, SC cause your just a great philanthropist.

Heres what I think
your an old bitty sitting around all day with nothing to do,
all upset that people, maybe OMG even northerners want to move
to your city and state, maybe you can scare a few of them off with talk of crime.

Crime ! why don't you ride with me on a business trip through Chicago, or Detroit,
we can ride past all the boarded up homes, maybe stop and roast some marshmallows on some of the half burnt buildings that still stand because they didn't spend the money to tear them down,
or a few other large cities, stop and talk to the homies about crimes and rhymes yo!

So now you can change your name, or I'm sure you have many different accounts on this forum with many names, to bad they dodn't monitor ip's.

By the way heres how I'm gonna help the crime rate in myrtle beach, I'm gonna do my best to increase the population number,
that way the percentage of crime vs population will go down, I hope thousands, and thousands of people move to SC, right next door to you.

Thanks for helping me now make this one of my life's goals!
See you on the beach bizo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area