Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times

Advertisements

kone:

I'm willing to bet that the folks who are shouting 'high crime', 'don't live here' etc.. are the same folks who are truly unaware of the marketplace around them. Reminds me of Chicken Little proclaiming that the sky is falling... when, in reality, it is not.

This is not to say that MB, or Horry County, in general, does not have crime. We do. It has increased over the last few years, due in part to the rise in the transient population of simply being a tourist driven marketplace. I attribute another huge part to (I know I risk offending some here, but I call a spade a spade) the dramatic increase in undocumented, or illegal, citizens. I'm reading more and more Hispanic names when reading crime stats ranging from misdemeanors to violent crimes on one another.

It's disheartening, but ANY area that realizes the growth that the MB area has experienced over the last few years is BOUND to have an increase in crime, no matter HOW you run the numbers. Add in another FOURTEEN MILLION tourists and the numbers are so far out of whack it's unreal.

Regarding the bumper sticker.. Work Harder - millions on welfare are depening on you..

Please.. keep this in mind during the upcoming elections.. And that's all I'll say about that. (At least Spitzer reversed his bonehead idea on Dl's for illegals). Driver's Licenses for illegals... Can ANYONE justify this logic?

:scratching head in bewilderment:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
kone:

I'm willing to bet that the folks who are shouting 'high crime', 'don't live here' etc.. are the same folks who are truly unaware of the marketplace around them. Reminds me of Chicken Little proclaiming that the sky is falling... when, in reality, it is not.

This is not to say that MB, or Horry County, in general, does not have crime. We do. It has increased over the last few years, due in part to the rise in the transient population of simply being a tourist driven marketplace. I attribute another huge part to (I know I risk offending some here, but I call a spade a spade) the dramatic increase in undocumented, or illegal, citizens. I'm reading more and more Hispanic names when reading crime stats ranging from misdemeanors to violent crimes on one another.

It's disheartening, but ANY area that realizes the growth that the MB area has experienced over the last few years is BOUND to have an increase in crime, no matter HOW you run the numbers. Add in another FOURTEEN MILLION tourists and the numbers are so far out of whack it's unreal.

Regarding the bumper sticker.. Work Harder - millions on welfare are depening on you..

Please.. keep this in mind during the upcoming elections.. And that's all I'll say about that. (At least Spitzer reversed his bonehead idea on Dl's for illegals). Driver's Licenses for illegals... Can ANYONE justify this logic?

:scratching head in bewilderment:

Call a spade a spade an illegal is not a citizen they are illegal. Undocumented is the Arizona Republics buzz word for illegal. At least they don't get free tuition here.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
sheena:

No free tuition.. YET.

Look at all the other free gov't hand outs they get.. Food Stamps, Health Care,.... sickening.. Just plain sickening!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
sheena:

No free tuition.. YET.

Look at all the other free gov't hand outs they get.. Food Stamps, Health Care,.... sickening.. Just plain sickening!
Oh boy do I know it!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 PM

14 posts, read 57,008 times
My cousin is a Horry county police officer. Myrtle beach isn't that bad. You wanna see bad, go to Florida. It will make Myrtle beach seem like Mayberry.

You're not going to run into trouble in Myrtle beach unless you're in a gang, look like you're in a gang, or involved in drugs. Nobody's going to bother you if you're a regular person just living your life. Just use common sense and don't associate with undesirables and you'll be fine. The reason I mentioned FL, is because it doesn't matter who you are in that state. The crime is so bad down there. In Tampa, there's people who wouldn't think twice to slit your throat for 5 bucks and dump you in a canal where alligators will rip you to pieces and you'll never be seen or heard from again.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 PM

46 posts, read 246,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famof3 View Post
We would love to look into living in Myrtle Beach, but were totally shocked when we looked at some of the crime rates! Some of them were higher than Houston. Wow. Just a couple of examples:- MB rapes 248, Houston rapes 38; MB aggravated assaults 1362, Houston aggravated assaults 594; MB crime lab index 555, Houston crime lab index 278.

We are stunned by these numbers! Can anyone offer any information about this. Is crime really that bad in Myrtle Beach?! I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but we got it from home fair dot com.

TIA for any information.

I know personally that Myrtle beach has a lot of crime... My parents live in Murrells Inlet which isn't too bad but am informed by them of crime in MB area, have seen reports online, and we had a family tragedy there...
My nephew was murdered there 12/2005 while on vacation. I was just down in Myrtle Beach to attend the murder trial of my nephew who was shot in the head over a $2 spilled drink. Besides dealing with that family tragedy, while we were there during 4 days we saw on local news that a guy who worked at one of the beach stores shot and killed this customer (in front of his wife and 2 small kids) over an argument cause the customer's son was running around the store. A knifing and a shooting at a bar. A tourist was carjacked and beaten. There was an attempted lynching! and 4 guys attempted to kill a guy with a poisonous snake!!!! Oh yea, a girl was raped by 4 guys.

Last edited by jrogers345; 01-18-2008 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 12:57 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,600 times
I have heard about the high crime in Myrtle Beach and have experienced it.

I can tell you 1st hand, My partner & I were in MYR a few years back. I stayed in the Hotel and he went to a restaurant to pick up some food in broad daylight on Kings Highway.

A guy pulled a gun on him and made him drive to various crack sections of Myrtle Beach. The guy told him that he had just got out of prison and you know you are gonna die don't you. Made him drive to an ATM withdraw money, and take him to crack town to buy crack. He got out of the car to do his crack transaction and told my partner if you try to drive off I will shoot you.

After about 1 1/2 hrs he told my partner to let him out of the car. He immediately called MYR Police which took a report and could have cared less. They seemed very dis-interested

Have never been back to MYR and have no desire to go back. It is ot that nice of a beach anyway. Very over rated!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
You have to realize that attitudes change when people go down to the coast. Most South Carolinians equate Myrtle Beach with partying, laying on the beach, and getting wasted. You have a high crime rate because everyone who visits is looking for a good time. Obviously not everyone has the same idea of 'a good time'.

There isn't much in the way of 'family values' down there - and in that sense, MB is nothing like the rest of South Carolina.

Would I want to live there? Maybe, if I could handle the insanity.
Would I want to raise kids there? No, definitely under no circumstances.

But a lot of it depends on what you consider Myrtle Beach. People often move to Conway and call it Myrtle Beach. Litchfield and Pawleys Island are two good options, but will cost you a lot.

Personally, if I were moving to the coast, I would check out: Charleston/Mt. Pleasant/James Island area, Beaufort, SC, and Bluffton, SC, and maybe Savannah, GA.
Excuse me...
I live here. I raise a family here. I feel safe and secure. No where on earth is immune to the criminal mind or criminal acts. I don't care where you live.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 AM

46 posts, read 246,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
Excuse me...
I live here. I raise a family here. I feel safe and secure. No where on earth is immune to the criminal mind or criminal acts. I don't care where you live.
Of course, but.. not every place has the high rate MB has. Tourist places are prone to more crime. I've heard horror stories about Hawaii involving tourist that the locals try to keep hushed up.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers345 View Post
Of course, but.. not every place has the high rate MB has. Tourist places are prone to more crime. I've heard horror stories about Hawaii involving tourist that the locals try to keep hushed up.
Tourist, illegals, fly by night people here to work today - commit a crime - be gone tomorrow, etc. Domestic violence is a huge issue here, as well as homocide by child abuse. The murder rates are up. However, the reports don't tell you exactly what type of murder it is. A majority that I've noticed, come from shootings at night clubs, domestic violence, and random acts of murder.
You have to analyze each situation, group them together, and see what type of people are commiting these crimes.

Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area