Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 35,708 times

Advertisements

hmmm these posts make me a tad nervous, I agree the crime numbers do seem a tad skewed though. I am moving to Seaside grove apartments in Myrtle Beach, from Connecticut, I was curious if anyone knew if this area was "safe" or wondered if anyone can just give me some info on that area of town. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM

53 posts, read 332,570 times
I have lived in some bad areas and Myrtle beach is a joke. I grew up in San Bernardino Ca when it was the murder capital of US and when to Grad school in Detroit. I have never felt threaten at any time and feel safe at all hour of the day. When apartment searching, there were some areas I avoided, but did not look unsafe.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM

i appreciate the response, do you know anything about the seaside grove apartments as far as safety goes? they are on Augusta Plantation rd. We just got officially accepted there today, and I am very excited, I have been to myrtle beach twice, and always felt very safe, day and night, but after reading some of these stats, they do make you scratch your head.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,929 times
Default A little advice, please...

My husband and I are thinking of opening a restauant in the Surfside Beach area. I've read the crime statistics in Myrtle Beach, and must say I'm alarmed. We would like to live in the area as well. We have two children and two grandchildren we're raising, who range in age from 5-11. We would like some input about areas with decent affordable rentals (at first) and schools as well.

The real estate agent we've contacted about the restaurant says the crime rates are overblown, but I feel there must be some reason for those numbers. Should we make the trip to see this place and plan a move? Any input will be appreciated...THANKS!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
I feel there must be some reason for those numbers...
There are numerous reasons for the numbers. They're real, although they must be taken within context of the situation. Overall, they're not reason to panic.

The numbers are usually reported as per capita rates, based on population. The MB metro area has 200,000+/- residents, along with about 14million visitors per year. Any numbers in a major tourist area - accidents, murders, drownings, heart attacks, weddings, etc - are pretty much meaningless when they are reported as a percentage of permanent residents.

At the same time, there are reasons why crime remains a concern. Visitors don't always act or think like they do at home. They're on vacation, want to have a good time and not worry. They often carry more cash than usual, wander around later than usual, have a few more drinks than usual, pack more stuff in their cars, they often don't know the "good" areas vs. "bad" areas, etc etc. In other words, they may be easier targets in MB than they would be in their home towns. In view of the temperate climate, homeless rates tend to be higher. Pay in the hospitality/tourism industry is notoriously low. Many people are forced to take two or three jobs to survive. In that environment, crime becomes a tempting alternative. MB and the coastal Grand Strand has all the markings of a prosperous area. It is also located not far away from inland communities with unemployment rates in excess of 20%. For that reason, crime unfortunately pays much better in MB than it does in Dillon, Andrews, etc.

Like any other town, there are areas of poverty within MB which suffer from the same crimes as any other impoverished areas. Unlike most other towns, tourist districts also attract criminals for reasons noted above. That definitely impacts MB's crime rate.

A new restaurant? You're brave. The only thing outnumbering our t-shirt stores is our restaurants. Be ready for fierce competition, particularly in the current economic environment. I've seen more restaurant couponing this Spring than I've ever seen. Over the Easter holiday, hotels were thrilled with occupancy rates; many restaurants didn't see any change at all. Folks were here, they just weren't spending.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 AM

80 posts, read 323,180 times
Default Crime stats indeed misleading

I won't add much to Pawleys Dude's outstanding analysis except to say that you should beware of statistics that encompass a fairly wide area, even just a zip code, as they can be misleading. As the Dude indicates, visitors skew the numbers, including kids on college break (I believe the city has stopped welcoming an annual biker festival because of crime concerns, but I am not sure they were a bigger issue than inebriated golfers down for a long weekend; they just dress differently). I haven't looked recently, but I think the FBI stats or Census stats might break things down a little finer. Barring that, call the local police department and see if they will give you an insight, if you are worried. As for the fear factor, I am with Dude; opening a restaurant in this climate is as scary as a dark alley at 2 a.m., although you can never have enough good restaurants in a town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
There are numerous reasons for the numbers. They're real, although they must be taken within context of the situation. Overall, they're not reason to panic.

The numbers are usually reported as per capita rates, based on population. The MB metro area has 200,000+/- residents, along with about 14million visitors per year. Any numbers in a major tourist area - accidents, murders, drownings, heart attacks, weddings, etc - are pretty much meaningless when they are reported as a percentage of permanent residents.

At the same time, there are reasons why crime remains a concern. Visitors don't always act or think like they do at home. They're on vacation, want to have a good time and not worry. They often carry more cash than usual, wander around later than usual, have a few more drinks than usual, pack more stuff in their cars, they often don't know the "good" areas vs. "bad" areas, etc etc. In other words, they may be easier targets in MB than they would be in their home towns. In view of the temperate climate, homeless rates tend to be higher. Pay in the hospitality/tourism industry is notoriously low. Many people are forced to take two or three jobs to survive. In that environment, crime becomes a tempting alternative. MB and the coastal Grand Strand has all the markings of a prosperous area. It is also located not far away from inland communities with unemployment rates in excess of 20%. For that reason, crime unfortunately pays much better in MB than it does in Dillon, Andrews, etc.

Like any other town, there are areas of poverty within MB which suffer from the same crimes as any other impoverished areas. Unlike most other towns, tourist districts also attract criminals for reasons noted above. That definitely impacts MB's crime rate.

A new restaurant? You're brave. The only thing outnumbering our t-shirt stores is our restaurants. Be ready for fierce competition, particularly in the current economic environment. I've seen more restaurant couponing this Spring than I've ever seen. Over the Easter holiday, hotels were thrilled with occupancy rates; many restaurants didn't see any change at all. Folks were here, they just weren't spending.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:56 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
lgavrich wrote: I am not sure they were a bigger issue than inebriated golfers down for a long weekend; they just dress differently...
Amen to that! Give me the bikers any day. A foursome of drunk golfers in a restaurant make more noise than any Harley with straight pipes I've ever heard. Besides, very few people are aware of how much the bikers give back to this community, through charity rides, donations, etc. The bikers like to have a good time, but they're good folks.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 AM

20 posts, read 80,654 times
Default Concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Amen to that! Give me the bikers any day. A foursome of drunk golfers in a restaurant make more noise than any Harley with straight pipes I've ever heard. Besides, very few people are aware of how much the bikers give back to this community, through charity rides, donations, etc. The bikers like to have a good time, but they're good folks.

The quoted caption should go without saying unfortunatly... it needs to be said and acknowledged more frequently. I've known alot of golfers as well as bikers. Seen and probably socialized with more personalitys than most,I'd rather be around bikers any day.
IF ITS TO LOUD,YOU'RE TO OLD

Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 PM

theres nothing more annoying than the sound of a harley going by. I never understood how cars with a loud exhaust will get pulled over, however its ok when 10 harleys go down the street on the 1st nice day of the yr at 8 AM and wake the whole town up. just my 2 cents

Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,173 times
Myrtle Beach has a very small population of 20,000.

They have as many as 300,000 tourists a year...

Therefor if Myrtle Beach has 8 murders in 2006, they are calculating this towards only 20,000 people.

If you make an honest assessment counting all the tourists, that's only 1/2 a murder a year...

I think this issue is propaganda...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area