Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times

Advertisements

Family is heading down to Myrtle Beach o our maiden visit in a few hours driving from NY and I have NEVER heard a single NYer mention the area being crime-ridden. And we have so many people that head down there this week each year that we kiddingly said we should rename it South New York!

Glad to hear it's not exactly OK-Corral! WE're at 5300 North Ocean Blvd. Dunes Resort......hope we're a step away from the riff-raff...

Looking forward to watching the seasons in reverse as we head into the sunshine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:31 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdavy View Post
I've lived in the area for almost 17 years, and I'm a night owl. I do my grocery shopping at midnight and often do dinner at 10pm or even later.

Like any city there are areas where drugs are prevalent, where the hoodlums hang out, where homeless people tend to wander. The old pavilion area is one of them...and there are several drug and crime areas that are on the outskirts of MB, North MB, and all the other beaches. Unfortunately, their statistics become OUR statistics. They kill each other, fuss and fight, and most of us in the general population never see it or care one way or the other. Atlantic Beach in the middle of North Myrtle is a perfect example. You just don't go there! All in all, for tourists and residents alike, this is one of the most safe areas you can vacation in. We are 10 times more safe than Miami, Daytona, Las Vegas, or any of the big cities.

There's also alot of rural areas outiside of Conway, Socastee, and Little River with very poor people, rednecks, and crime. Tourists and normal "transplants" also never see these neighborhoods...Why would you? Common sense tells you to stay out of trailer parks, bars and clubs in predominantly black neighborhoods, and the bottom caliber strip clubs.

I love living here and would not want to be anywhere else. I'm a middle aged single woman, and if I can run around half the night safely, then pretty much anyone can. It's just a matter of common sense!

And I highly recommend Myrtle Beach, especially North Myrtle Beach, Little River, Pawleys Island, and most of the golf communities for everyone.

Jan
Wow, nothing like a post with a lot of generalizations about groups of people.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 17,660 times
We've been here 3 years and there is a lot of crime, something every day in the paper. Seems to be spousal abuse, car thefts, etc. There are places I would not go at anytime, but that's anywhere you move. You have to consider the 13 million tourists here every year also. Don't know if they add to the statistics, but make for easy targets for thieves. Most people are very friendly and we've not had any unpleasant experiences here. Really a lot of minimum wage earners that can't afford homes. They need to have some homes these people can afford instead them being forced to live in a trailer.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 17,660 times
So many New Yorkers and northerners moving down that we now have upscale shops and restaurants......I love it!!! Check out Market Common while you're here.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 AM

20 posts, read 103,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Glad to hear it's not exactly OK-Corral! WE're at 5300 North Ocean Blvd. Dunes Resort......hope we're a step away from the riff-raff...
Dunes Village is about as good as it gets. You'll LOVE it.
Dunes Village Myrtle Beach - Luxury Resort Condos For Sale

Jan

Old 04-20-2008, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 35,514 times
The crime statistics are severly skewed because our population in MB climbs into the billions during the entire lenghth of our tourist season. I have lived here for 25 years and never had any crime related incidents happen. I walk the beach, the shopping, etc..our schools are good too. If you want the partying atmosphere it is here too. It's really all about where you put yourself. I live in a rural area 10 miles away from the ocean, my husband and I go to work everyday, kids goes to school, and we have a lot of family activities to partake in through the school, sports, church and our friends. What a better place to live than a place where you have it all at your fingertips. To party, or not to party....

Old 04-22-2008, 05:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
I always feel safe in Myrtle Beach. People are right. Watch your areas, just like anywhere else. Go at safe times and with others..........like we do anywhere.
Crime is all over. Anywhere you go its in the news. Its Americas problem, not just a local problem.
I love going to Myrtle Beach, and it only gets better. Something new crops up each year.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 AM

46 posts, read 246,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchatfield View Post
The crime statistics are severly skewed because our population in MB climbs into the billions during the entire lenghth of our tourist season. I have lived here for 25 years and never had any crime related incidents happen. I walk the beach, the shopping, etc..our schools are good too. If you want the partying atmosphere it is here too. It's really all about where you put yourself. I live in a rural area 10 miles away from the ocean, my husband and I go to work everyday, kids goes to school, and we have a lot of family activities to partake in through the school, sports, church and our friends. What a better place to live than a place where you have it all at your fingertips. To party, or not to party....
Here's info on annual Crime State Rankings. SC is #4 - most dangerous for 2008.

No. 4: South Carolina
Whatever happened to Southern hospitality? Sunny South Carolina is charged with the highest assault problem in the Most Dangerous States list

Rankings in Crime (out of 50)

Assault: 1
Burglary: 7
Murder: 4 (tie)
Motor Vehicle Theft: 15
Rape: 12
Robbery: 18

Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,474 times
No matter what numbers you post, they are skewed based on the fact that they are generated from overall populace numbers which account for MILLIONS and MILLIONS of tourists which visit each year.

Anyone who thinks that MB is a more violent area than, say NY, LA, New Orleans, Detriot, DC and other metro areas has LOST THEIR MIND!

Jrogers.. I recall you posting about the loss of a family member in NMB..but the area is nowhere near as bad as what some here would make it out to be..

Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,047 times
Ok, we're back from MB (I'm the NYer that was heading there for spring break on our maiden visit) and our visit was FABULOUS.....we loved the Dunes:top-notch all the way. We shopped carefully and it always was 5-star in the reviews. We saw no signs of any crime ( and we did stroll up and down the entire strip), the beach area was kept spotless and the locals were nothing but gracious on and off the beach.....we have reserved our calendar for spring break 2009 and are planning on heading down there again....thank you South Carolina! I know we saw the shiney parts being in the resort areas but it was lovely and that's what will bring us back!

A "Carolina-On-My-Mind" NYer

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 04-25-2008 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area