Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM

59 posts, read 201,724 times

Advertisements

I know and I believe you.

I moved to Surfside in 2007, and have always felt safe. The gas station on 5th and 17 was robbed in 2008. My car window was smashed and all contents inside taken-a leather bag..I was at the 3rd Ave. Beach Access-have been there so many times,but this particular day was after the tourists were gone and it was a nice September day. I had my daughter, we were alone. I had my purse in the truck, took my phone with me. People were walking on the beach from their condo's or wherever, but the 3rd Ave access lot had only my car. They broke the window, opened the trunk, took my purse.

I've read in the papers and I've seen transactions being made in broad daylight.
Everything there is expensive, health care is not good, people are stuck, what can I say? Unless you are a resident of the area for many years and have established work, business, or own your own company, it's a major struggle.

And they do not like people from the NORTH. That is a fact. That is one of the reasons I got out of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 AM

Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
You have to realize that attitudes change when people go down to the coast. Most South Carolinians equate Myrtle Beach with partying, laying on the beach, and getting wasted. You have a high crime rate because everyone who visits is looking for a good time. Obviously not everyone has the same idea of 'a good time'.

There isn't much in the way of 'family values' down there - and in that sense, MB is nothing like the rest of South Carolina.

Would I want to live there? Maybe, if I could handle the insanity.
Would I want to raise kids there? No, definitely under no circumstances.

But a lot of it depends on what you consider Myrtle Beach. People often move to Conway and call it Myrtle Beach. Litchfield and Pawleys Island are two good options, but will cost you a lot.

Personally, if I were moving to the coast, I would check out: Charleston/Mt. Pleasant/James Island area, Beaufort, SC, and Bluffton, SC, and maybe Savannah, GA.
This is so true-well said.
I lived in Surfside for one year. Visited the area and lived there off and on from 2006 to 2009. I was followed constantly by the cops, because I had an out of town plate -each visit was between a month and 3. Then I had to stay for 6 months to take care of a family member and needed special permission from the magistrate to do so. They sent me a letter to the home I was living-because they followed me-literally to my home and wrote down the dates they first saw me on the road.
This happens to anyone who comes in with an out of state plate in the Surfside Beach area.

This mentality alone made me decide I could not live there on a permanent basis.
Without going into a lot of negative detail on medical care, sexist mentality, racist mentality, small town thinking, I would seriously scope out Charleston which is now pushing culture and education in a big way-it's also beautiful. Mount Pleasant, Blufton (further south) and Savannah, GA, are better. The south in general is not going to give you the quality of and affordability of private schooling that is offered in the NE States, so you must rely on public schools and they are definitely less desirable anywhere in the south. I am sure specific cities and school systems vary, but overall the ratings are much lower if you are not in private school. Surfside schools rate high in the gifted classes but low in the regular mainstream of education.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM

55 posts, read 114,597 times
Crime in Myrtle Beach is kinda strange. A whole buncha car breakins and robberies, but you don't hear much about stuff like murder. Crime gets worse during the biker weeks.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM

89 posts, read 251,863 times
Oh for crying out loud, this thread is driving me crazy....husband works for the Sheriff's Department...if you knew just how much crime we truly have and is NEVER reported...NEVER...including murders....please stop having this false sense of security.... I am talking all up and down the Grand Strand...some areas, yes, are worse than others but also other areas that one never had to worry...now do have to worry...petty thieves...petty crimes lead to larger ones folks....

The jail here isn't over crowded for no reason.....please research before speaking.....

Old 01-27-2012, 04:52 AM

62 posts, read 125,357 times
Murders are not being reported in Horry county? Are you serious?!

Does the FBI who keep statistics know about this?

Research before posting?

Where do you want people to research if murders are not being reported?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your post is confusing.

Personally, I have never fallen victim to crime, nor have any of my family members who have lived here for well over 40 years, except my cousin who had something taken from her vehicle when she left it open at the mall.

I'm a part timer from Boston. SO many people down here from up north, many like myself, part-timers. I have been met with nothing but kindness & courtesy with exception of a rude cashier at Piggly Wiggly at Common Mkt. Perhaps she was having a bad day.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM

89 posts, read 251,863 times
Well "wanttobewarm" you have certainly been a very lucky guy then....and in "reporting" I meant and "I think you knew it already but wanted to be smug"...the newspapers, news outlets, etc....reported to the public....

Whatever...you all can live in your dream worlds and your "just another day in paradise" view points but it is NOT real...we have major problems and I am not just saying this to start something....just this morning the whole parking lot Little River Diner was taped off with about oh I would say 10 Horry County police vehicles....I bet nobody will ever know about what happened there....I will..because my husband will tell me....let's just wait and see?

Have a good day all and please be safe!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I have come to Myrtle Beach for ten years with an out of state plate and have never had one issue.
If someone is being followed then there must be a reason known by the police.

Now I am a permanent resident and happy about it. No crime has come our way.
I have left my home in the hands of painters and pool builders and nothing ever was amiss.

I've now found many home repair and other types of workers who I have great faith in.

Crime is everywhere. I was in upstate NY over Christmas and there is crime there.
I was in PA and crime is there... NJersey/crime....Lets all just understand that crime is around us.
Move if you want, but that most likely won't solve that issue.

I feel very safe here. Of course anywhere your are, you must lock your doors...that is just how it is
in our current society.

Before we trounce on this beautiful place.....Look up some other towns you might head to.
Unfortunately, its the same ole' song everywhere. Unless perhaps you want to head to the mountains and live in a cabin on the top of a hill. Even then.............

Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM

62 posts, read 125,357 times
Hi all,

what a beautiful sunny day!

symbasmommy, Does your Horry County Corrections officer husband know that your writing about cases on a public forum?

Would there be a reason why 10 police cars surrounding a diner might be kept quiet at this time? Perhaps an ongoing investigation that is confidential?

My brother was a police captain for many years, he never once told us about a case, public or otherwise as it would have been unethical for him to do so.

Earlier I read a " 100 cities with crime " or some such, MB was grouped in with the 100-200K medium sized cities category. I found this strange as the population is a lot smaller than that. Altho it does swell in the summer. It also included 5 or 6 zip codes? Perhaps this has already been brought up.

Off to stick my head in the sand...oh wait...I mean my toes!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM

349 posts, read 863,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobewarm View Post
Hi all,

Would there be a reason why 10 police cars surrounding a diner might be kept quiet at this time? Perhaps an ongoing investigation that is confidential?
how do you keep something like that confidential? it's not like it happened behind a curtain.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 AM

drugs, illegals working in many establishments-mb is a not a good place to live-period

in one of the golf course communities that went belly up---with 400k and 300k houses now sitting idle in the middle of a lawsuit.............you can find hyp. needles and trash in an unkept ravine that no one in the city cares about..........i would not want to raise my kids in that area if I had a choice, period, end of subject......all cities have crime, but there central places of socializing that cater to the community and family and MB and the surrounding areas of SS cannot do justice in this way-they don't have the dollars and the numbers to support it......it is by far one of the sleaziest areas I've been to...and yes, I am from up North-so sue me for having standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area