Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 AM

59 posts, read 201,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
wow actually someone with some common sense here....bless you!
You are funny!

I am going back to visit soon..it won't be so bad now because I am rolling in during the season-where it picks up a bit. I visited the last time in September, which is when the season is completely slow-so they seek out out of staters during that time and watch..and of course my car was an older car, clean and well kept but older, so what was I DOING THERE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 12,766 times
I think alcohol fuels a lot of crime, and the statistics inflate when the population inflates (tourists). Every city has crime, and since MB fluctuates throughout the year, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do what anybody in any city should do: be aware of your surroundings. A little awareness goes a long way.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 16,535 times
Default Carolina Forest!

I've lived here almost 5 years... and its a miserable tacky cheesy tourist town.. but I feel safer here than in a LOT of other cities. Because its not a real city! Since its tourist-y, a lot of the crime is drunk beligerant partying tourists, but a lot of it is also legit crime. There areas that are bad are, how ironic, the poor/trashy areas. If an area looks trashy, that means real estate values are cheaper.. and people with money can afford to luxury of living somewhere prettier and nicer! Who is left with the bad views and broken down condos and trailers? Poor people... and go ahead and shut your mouth ahead of time that "not all poor people are bad." Of course not, but for some.. poverty does fuel things like meth labs.. cooking drugs for money.. theft... etc. etc. That's a fact. It pushes people to things maybe they wouldn't do given other circumstances.

Anyway, the only nice place to live in Myrtle Beach is Carolina Forest. Don't listen to people who say the south strand is soo nice, etc etc etc. I get SCARED when I go down there, its very white trash-y. If you can't afford a million dollar home in the Grande Dunes, there only other place is Carolina Forest point blank. Anywhere close to 3rd avenue or on the Forestbrook side of 501.. worst places off the top of my head. Claypond Commons is awful, I recently heard a horror story about a break-in there.. the neighbor kept coming over asking for things, haha sugar, but was scoping out the place. He broke in. Not cool... I'd never live anywhere outside of Carolina Forest!

Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,754 times
I'll take exception to your comment regarding anything on the Forestbrook side of 501. There are many very nice communities there.

I would agree with you regarding the Claypond area...wouldn't live there at all. But not everything south of 501 resembles Claypond.

Finally, if you dislike this "miserable cheesy tourist town" so much, I'd suggest that you might want to find one more to your liking.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 AM

89 posts, read 251,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
I'll take exception to your comment regarding anything on the Forestbrook side of 501. There are many very nice communities there.

I would agree with you regarding the Claypond area...wouldn't live there at all. But not everything south of 501 resembles Claypond.

Finally, if you dislike this "miserable cheesy tourist town" so much, I'd suggest that you might want to find one more to your liking.

Here we go again...not everyone who ends up here has the means to move as soon as they realize they made a mistake...the salaries here are low and it takes alot longer to save money to get the heck out of here.... I am sure, for us here who are miserable, we are saving our money and biding our time, but in the meantime, do we constantly have to be told we should leave if we don't like it here??? As for me, I KNOW....and we are still in America..and actually when someone on this forum gives a negative remark about this area...there are those of you are on them pronto.....give this person a break...she is stating what she feels and what she sees......NOT ALL OF US LOVE IT HERE... I think this is what a forum is for....several different opinions....? Can't wait to see the reactions...so come on....you know who you are...just waiting to respond to me!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,754 times
Symbasmommy,
I certainly understand how someone could end up in an area that they don't care for...it's happened to me before. It's ok for someone to not care for the area in which they live and even comment specifically on what they don't like. I have no problem with that at all. But, when someone decides to disparage a whole town by basically "name calling" such as "miserable, cheesy tourist town," and making sweeping comments about a whole area based on the one, admittedly, bad section within that area, then I do take exception.

Regardless, I made my point about finding somewhere else to live without telling the poster to get lost or calling him/her names. It was a suggestion that was civil and appropriate.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaElizabeth View Post
I've lived here almost 5 years... and its a miserable tacky cheesy tourist town.. but I feel safer here than in a LOT of other cities. Because its not a real city! Since its tourist-y, a lot of the crime is drunk beligerant partying tourists, but a lot of it is also legit crime. There areas that are bad are, how ironic, the poor/trashy areas. If an area looks trashy, that means real estate values are cheaper.. and people with money can afford to luxury of living somewhere prettier and nicer! Who is left with the bad views and broken down condos and trailers? Poor people... and go ahead and shut your mouth ahead of time that "not all poor people are bad." Of course not, but for some.. poverty does fuel things like meth labs.. cooking drugs for money.. theft... etc. etc. That's a fact. It pushes people to things maybe they wouldn't do given other circumstances.

Anyway, the only nice place to live in Myrtle Beach is Carolina Forest. Don't listen to people who say the south strand is soo nice, etc etc etc. I get SCARED when I go down there, its very white trash-y. If you can't afford a million dollar home in the Grande Dunes, there only other place is Carolina Forest point blank. Anywhere close to 3rd avenue or on the Forestbrook side of 501.. worst places off the top of my head. Claypond Commons is awful, I recently heard a horror story about a break-in there.. the neighbor kept coming over asking for things, haha sugar, but was scoping out the place. He broke in. Not cool... I'd never live anywhere outside of Carolina Forest!
Isn't that just lovely except I wouldn't live near 501 for the life of me.
Too much tourist traffic in the summer months. Too, too, busy a highway. I completely didn't look in that direction for that one reason.
There is some cheezy, tacky, tourist shops here and there in Myrtle beach, and why they keep building more is beyond me. It can ruin the beauty of it all.
There is no scarey place in the south end of Myrtle Beach. There are some intown sections where I might be frightened at night but that is in almost any big town/city area.
I have posted pictures of the south end of Myrtle Beach. Garden City, Murrells Inlet, Surfside Beach. Look at the beauty there, it is amazing.
Yes, there is trailers in the Surfside Beach area for camping. Mainly this is because there are a few oceanfront camping places there. Not to beautiful a sight but camping can be fun for families so I do understand that. I once too camped with my family and enjoyed every minute of it.
There are some gorgeous places in which to live in the south end.
The Lakes, The Gates, International Club, TPC..( Tournament Players Club) to name a few.
Living here with its weather, its entertainment, its beauty is a joyous thing. Beyond some tacky, the ocean glistens in the sun...the marsh glows in all colors...the people are friendly...and life is good.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM

312 posts, read 732,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Isn't that just lovely except I wouldn't live near 501 for the life of me.
Too much tourist traffic in the summer months. Too, too, busy a highway. I completely didn't look in that direction for that one reason.
There is some cheezy, tacky, tourist shops here and there in Myrtle beach, and why they keep building more is beyond me. It can ruin the beauty of it all.
There is no scarey place in the south end of Myrtle Beach. There are some intown sections where I might be frightened at night but that is in almost any big town/city area.
I have posted pictures of the south end of Myrtle Beach. Garden City, Murrells Inlet, Surfside Beach. Look at the beauty there, it is amazing.
Yes, there is trailers in the Surfside Beach area for camping. Mainly this is because there are a few oceanfront camping places there. Not to beautiful a sight but camping can be fun for families so I do understand that. I once too camped with my family and enjoyed every minute of it.
There are some gorgeous places in which to live in the south end.
The Lakes, The Gates, International Club, TPC..( Tournament Players Club) to name a few.
Living here with its weather, its entertainment, its beauty is a joyous thing. Beyond some tacky, the ocean glistens in the sun...the marsh glows in all colors...the people are friendly...and life is good.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 AM

3 posts, read 12,766 times
I've heard good and bad things about all of the Grand Strand, and I've lived here 20 years. I'm almost certain anybody from a different geographic region could say the same, possibly minus the 20 years residency, of course. As for low-paying jobs, well, that's a (in)famous Horry County statistic. The economy will diversify more and more as time progresses. I am sure of it.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM

4 posts, read 9,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaElizabeth View Post

You failed to mention a man murdering his wife in Carolina Forest and a student was murdered at Carolina Forest High School, not to mention more bomb threats at Carolina Forest than any other school in the county.

Also Carolina Forest is built on the old Conway Gunnery and Bombing Range .New residents may receive a note from the Federal Government about what to do if they happen to discover something from the Bombing Range days.

Carolina Forest is not as upscale as you're making it out to be, there is everything there from manufactured homes/trailers to custom built homes. Just as other areas you mentioned has it's share of white trash, so does Carolina Forest, in fact some are quite pompous and post on message boards. Just sayin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area