Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,880,278 times

Advertisements

Absolutely, StuckinPA... it is all relative. Of course any crime is bad, but some of these posts make it seem much worse that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 AM

543 posts, read 2,365,840 times
We have had a recent string of home invasions costing one thief their life. It always gets bad like that during the holiday season in some of our surrounding areas.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,484,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
We have had a recent string of home invasions costing one thief their life. It always gets bad like that during the holiday season in some of our surrounding areas.
At least the thieves there lose sometimes,we just had one here where the invader shot the victim in his house in cold blood in front of his kids. Nice place huh?

Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 14,442 times
Anyone familiar with Wither Preserve in Myrtle Beach? I've been researching online TND (traditional neighborhood developments) and this one looks interesting. If anyone has information on this or any TND in other parts of the country, I'd love to hear from you.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 PM

882 posts, read 3,539,950 times
shellsbells-
Withers Preserve is located on the former Air Force base which is currently under redevelopment. The Market Commons is centered in the same area with many live to work townhomes, condos and the like. There are several "anchor" stores in Market Commons as well. The newly renovated Crabtree Gym (sponsored by city tax funds) is there, numerous ball fields, a nice park area with a walking trail around a lake. There are also a few multifamily developments in that area.

There are a few homes built in Withers Preserve right now but it appears that sales (or construction) has been relatively slow due to timing and the market in general. I live right around the corner in an older development and I must admit, aside from the traffic, I don't have anything bad to say about Withers Preserve or Market Commons in general...

PS-
Did I mention it's about a mile and a half away from the ocean?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 14,442 times
Thanks for the info rrufast. Can you tell me if Withers is located in northern Myrtle Beach? From what people are writing, this seems to be the safer part of MB. Also have concerns about location in regard to hurricane/surge.
Interested in TND, or new development with lots of shops close by. Can you suggest areas /developments (no retirement/golf communities). Looking for ranch style home in the $300-400K range. Keep looking online. Would like to make a visit soon to look around. Figure this is good opportunity to buy in this market.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:02 PM

882 posts, read 3,539,950 times
Withers Preserve is actually located on the Southern end of MB. Go to maps.google.com and type in The market Commons Myrtle Beach SC. Look for the Balloon marked 'A' and that's pretty much the center of TMC.

There are a few more residential developments in and around Horry County that I think may appeal to you but to help narrow it down one would need more specific "wants and needs".

Let me know if I can help.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 AM

80 posts, read 323,180 times
Careful with crime statistics, like other raw data. Most reporting agencies, like the FBI, look at a metro area. Better to drill down by zip code or, if you can find it, neighborhood, to get the truest picture. Also, MB numbers are largely skewed by college student and biker invasions a few weeks per year; big drunk and disorderly numbers and other related crimes. Safest parts of the Grand Strand, in general, are the south end (Murrells Inlet and Pawleys Island) and north end, just over the NC line.

Larry

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,188 times
Default back to you about myrtle beach

i have lived in myrtle beach for about 11 years now and i was born in socastee. I have never had any threats or crime happen in our neighborhood. we have a lot of security and i have 3 cops living in my neighborhood and my neighborhood is not that big. the place is fine and has a lot of things you can do while there. I do like to visit NC too you should try top sail beach i think its called. we went there recently and it had an awesome sunset. I know that the statistics say that but the only time that is even relevant is when you have summer time tourist coming in and doing things and them all vandalizing bathrooms which are cleaned up when they leave. Maybe biker week but besides that i see no big threat. Most deaths in mb are caused by teen drivers and they plan on raising the age before driving alone or with friends and no adults. The roads could be hectic

Last edited by mickj14; 01-13-2009 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: i didnt include the whole message

Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,484 times
I lived in Myrtle Beach for a year and because I figured out what areas to steer clear of, I had no problems. I lived up the beach in the Dunes. Check out the beach's Sun News each day and that should give you a good idea of what the crime picture is actually like at the beach. I'm planning to return to the beach soon and look forward to the sun and warmth and the beautiful beaches. Of course, I'm not part of the party scene so I don't hang out in bars. Crime statistics are all lumped together in categories that really don't reflect the true picture of a city......small cities are listed in with big cities and that gives a bad reflection on a small city that really isn't accurate. Every city has it's rough areas.......just research the area and find out where they are. You don't have to go into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area