Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 178,704 times

Advertisements

We would love to look into living in Myrtle Beach, but were totally shocked when we looked at some of the crime rates! Some of them were higher than Houston. Wow. Just a couple of examples:- MB rapes 248, Houston rapes 38; MB aggravated assaults 1362, Houston aggravated assaults 594; MB crime lab index 555, Houston crime lab index 278.

We are stunned by these numbers! Can anyone offer any information about this. Is crime really that bad in Myrtle Beach?! I'm not sure how accurate this information is, but we got it from home fair dot com.

TIA for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 08:58 PM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
There is a lot of crime there for some reason. You wouldn't know it just by driving around there and looking at it though. What's even more disturbing is to have those high numbers and yet the actual population of Myrtle Beach is only around 27,000. If you want to read up on the local crime you can check it out at this site:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld.../crime_courts/

Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj
There is a lot of crime there for some reason.
I wasn't sure if what we read was correct! I cannot believe the crime rates compared to a city the size of Houston! Like you said, the population is not that large in MB. We had no idea it was that bad. I'm bummed ... we really wanted to look into MB, but I think this may keep us away. Thanks for the link, I checked it out and was not impressed! Any other ideas to put us close to the ocean ... we really enjoy our annual visits to MB and love being near the water. North Carolina is still an option, but we thought if we are going to make this move, we should at least go somewhere we would really enjoy. Not that we wouldn't enjoy NC, we just loved MB. Never been to NC, but I'm sure there are great areas there too.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:08 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,689 times
There are several locations in the Charleston area. Mount Pleasant is one of them. Close to the beach, low crime, good schools. MB is only an hour and a half away so you could easily do day trips. The only thing is it is expensive to live there. Another option is to live a little further inland (better hurricane protection). I am in Summerville, SC and we have a low crime rate also, good schools and homes are more reasonably priced. It takes about 30 minutes to get to one of the many beaches. Plus you would have access to Charleston and it's many attractions and fabulous restaurants. Much nicer than MB in my opinion. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2006, 06:40 AM

12 posts, read 96,062 times
My family and I vacation in Charleston and at Edisto Beach(Island.) My family owns property there.

Last week(8/01) we drove up to Myrtle Beach from Mt. Pleasant just to see the pavillion before they tear it down. I felt so unsafe the entire time I was around the down town and the board walk area.This was in the daytime. I can't imagine being around there at night.

You would think that the authorities would at least concentrate on that "high touristry area". It looked like alot of homeless or missguided people. I promptly gathered up my wife and my 9 year old and went back to Charleston. We were there less than 1 hour!!

Now to be fair, I'm older than the people I saw hanging around down there but I did see some older men who appeared to have lost their way.

This was my honest experience.

But on a positive note, the Myrtle Beach Police Department are the finest and best trained in the state and will not put up with law breakers. Period!! This I was told by a fellow real estate broker after I returned and was sharing my story with him. You wouldn't think that the real estate explosion would continue if law_lessness was abound. No way!

(There must be a good many transient folks around that general area.)

Now,the real estate market is one of the top 10 in America and resales are never a probelm. I invest and sell real estate and as the poster above wrote, you can buy a few miles away, have all the ammenities of the beach but come home to much more resonable priced goods and services. Good luck. The last time I looked the market in Myrtle Beach was up about 15% !! that's strong!!

Good luck! B_

Old 08-06-2006, 07:29 AM

291 posts, read 1,781,628 times
I have walked around there at night and never felt threatend. I really can't see how it can be so bad. Maybe a large percentage happen at bike week or other times like that. Summerville is nice and about 1 1/2 hours away. Conway I feel is up and coming. Mount Pleasant is great but real expensive and I just don't get a great feel from Georgetown.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:53 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
You have to realize that attitudes change when people go down to the coast. Most South Carolinians equate Myrtle Beach with partying, laying on the beach, and getting wasted. You have a high crime rate because everyone who visits is looking for a good time. Obviously not everyone has the same idea of 'a good time'.

There isn't much in the way of 'family values' down there - and in that sense, MB is nothing like the rest of South Carolina.

Would I want to live there? Maybe, if I could handle the insanity.
Would I want to raise kids there? No, definitely under no circumstances.

But a lot of it depends on what you consider Myrtle Beach. People often move to Conway and call it Myrtle Beach. Litchfield and Pawleys Island are two good options, but will cost you a lot.

Personally, if I were moving to the coast, I would check out: Charleston/Mt. Pleasant/James Island area, Beaufort, SC, and Bluffton, SC, and maybe Savannah, GA.

Last edited by anonymous; 08-06-2006 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess we will not be looking at MB, but I am going to check out the areas y'all suggested. Maybe being within a quick drive would do. We just loved MB, but that is from a tourist point of view. I also have NC to continue looking into. Moving is no fun!

Old 08-06-2006, 01:10 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famof3
Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess we will not be looking at MB, but I am going to check out the areas y'all suggested. Maybe being within a quick drive would do. We just loved MB, but that is from a tourist point of view. I also have NC to continue looking into. Moving is no fun!
I do agree moving is no fun! Why not check out the Land O lakes, and Wesley Chapel area in Florida? We are near the beaches, but inland enough.

The schools are o k here also, and now home prices are droping from this 7 yr itch!

judy

I looked at N.C. and the schools have issues, and I found it 7 years ago to be expensive. I would go Fl or near Charleston, and Blufton area.

judy

Old 08-06-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate
I do agree moving is no fun! Why not check out the Land O lakes, and Wesley Chapel area in Florida?
Hi Judy. Thanks for the input. Funny you mention Florida because we just took a trip there. We were looking in the Orlando area - really for no specific reason other than we have visited over the years. We could not believe how expensive housing is there! Wow! We were also told that insurance rates are a big problem along with a few other issues that are weather related. Not sure about the areas you mentioned though. This move is really turning out to be way too stressful! Not sure where we will end up, but I would like it just to be over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area