Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,945 times

Advertisements

I moved here from up north and while there is crime, its seems to be confined to a few areas, up north there were housing projects, down here it seems like lower income people live in certain condo complexes, which is where most of the crime happens, which seems to be a lot of domestic disputes and burgleries, I live in one of the newer developments of all single family home and we have had no problems to date. Without public housing, there seems to be a lot of section 8 (state assisted living). I guess if people have the choice to live up north in a housing project or down here in a condo with their bills being paid, its a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,860,490 times
When that young lady, Brittany, from Rochester NY went missing I think last year...that gave MB alot of bad publicity. That case was all over cable news (especially Nancy Grace) and she has never been found. I always thought it was a local who knew their way around the remote areas to hide a body. Very sad case...but it's true that this could happen in any of these "spring break" locations.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 PM

39 posts, read 95,758 times
I see this post was started five years ago. We bought a condo in N Myrtle two years ago and we love it. We have walked night and day around north Myrtle...and when we were there last month we walked all along the new board walk - didn't see anything bothersome or troubling. Just our experience but, we have not had any bad experiences.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,503 times
Yes, this place is toned down as a sweet family town and tourist area...living here for 15 years, there is a lot of crime, a lot of drugs and not somewhere I want to raise my children. I am now looking to relocate somewhere else

Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,125 times
If you don't want crime move west of the Intercoastal Waterway.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,605 times
We lived in Myrtle Beach for 13 years and we left so I could take a civil service position in Missouri. Crime never did seem that bad when we were there, but criminals go on vacation too, so I imagine that is part of it. Also, Like anywhere, there are certain areas you should go and certain ones you should not and that's probably another part of the equation. We lived in Socastee for the entire 13 years and could leave our house unlocked and go for a walk. Never had a problem! BTW, I'm within a few months of civil service retirement and we are starting to get things together to move back to the Beach. My wife and I really miss the Beach, as over the 13 years it became home for us.

Last edited by John Hickman; 04-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 PM

328 posts, read 435,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hickman View Post
We lived in Myrtle Beach for 13 years and we left so I could take a civil service position in Missouri. Crime never did seem that bad when we were there, but criminals go on vacation too, so I imagine that is part of it. Also, Like anywhere, there are certain areas you should go and certain ones you should not and that's probably another part of the equation. We lived in Socastee for the entire 13 years and could leave our house unlocked and go for a walk. Never had a problem! BTW, I'm within a few months of civil service retirement and we are starting to get things together to move back to the Beach. My wife and I really miss the Beach, as over the 13 years it became home for us.
When did you live in the MB area?
We are moving to MB in June and have read through this thread and see some people post that crime is a major issue in MB.
I know that the numbers in MB are high because of the crime done by tourist are always added in but it does make me want to really look into this issue.
Does anyone have a website on how to check crimes and their locations for the MB area?

Old 12-31-2011, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Hello,

I'm planning on moving to outside the Myrtle Beach area and I have read on several threads about the crime rate being so high. Does anyone know a site I can get more info.....what time of the year are most of the crimes commited? Is it when there are mostly tourists? Are the people commiting the crimes mostly tourists? Has anyone done the research to say why the crime rate is so high there? I'm very curious why that is and where I can get more info. I went to the link mentioned but that didn't give much info. Thanks
I believe most of it is in one area, drug activity and mostly they are robbing people who walk on beach at night or at night around boardwalk area and they rob whoever they can to get money for drugs or whatever. I feel very safe in surfside, garden city or murrels inlet. Seems to be more family oriented. In mb there is as any beach city transits, bums and low life losers who are lazy and dont want to work so take advantage of the weak or elderly or the poor tourists who they know have credit cards and money.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 AM

59 posts, read 201,867 times
Default Crime in Surfside, Myrtle Beach, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekrat48 View Post
I believe most of it is in one area, drug activity and mostly they are robbing people who walk on beach at night or at night around boardwalk area and they rob whoever they can to get money for drugs or whatever. I feel very safe in surfside, garden city or murrels inlet. Seems to be more family oriented. In mb there is as any beach city transits, bums and low life losers who are lazy and dont want to work so take advantage of the weak or elderly or the poor tourists who they know have credit cards and money.
My car was broken into at the Surfside 3rd St. access parking lot. The window was smashed, everything was taken -anything that could be stolen, including a bag with personal papers and medical information I had on a relative that I felt would be safe (it's of no value $$$). I did notice that when I got to the sand and sat with a friend, there was a man standing at the top of the gazebo step there and just stared at us...Meanwhile, little did I know---my car was being broken into by another perpetrator -the two took off with everything-this is not something you will read in the news.

There are no jobs, there are lots of people into drugs---and they must steal to keep up their business--I've never seen more drugs in one area as I have in the Myrtle Beach/Surfside/Garden CIty area-it's everywhere--it's how people survive? A home on Third St. was also broken into. SO lock everything up and do not take anything for granted and leave NOTHING in your car -nothing-no matter where you are in the area.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vg66 View Post
My car was broken into at the Surfside 3rd St. access parking lot. The window was smashed, everything was taken -anything that could be stolen, including a bag with personal papers and medical information I had on a relative that I felt would be safe (it's of no value $$$). I did notice that when I got to the sand and sat with a friend, there was a man standing at the top of the gazebo step there and just stared at us...Meanwhile, little did I know---my car was being broken into by another perpetrator -the two took off with everything-this is not something you will read in the news.

There are no jobs, there are lots of people into drugs---and they must steal to keep up their business--I've never seen more drugs in one area as I have in the Myrtle Beach/Surfside/Garden CIty area-it's everywhere--it's how people survive? A home on Third St. was also broken into. SO lock everything up and do not take anything for granted and leave NOTHING in your car -nothing-no matter where you are in the area.
I'm so sorry your car was broken into. That sucks.

I've lived here all my life and have never been a victim of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area