Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:56 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,783,001 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning on moving to outside the Myrtle Beach area and I have read on several threads about the crime rate being so high. Does anyone know a site I can get more info.....what time of the year are most of the crimes commited? Is it when there are mostly tourists? Are the people commiting the crimes mostly tourists? Has anyone done the research to say why the crime rate is so high there? I'm very curious why that is and where I can get more info. I went to the link mentioned but that didn't give much info. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 03:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,480,435 times
I'd think that most of the crimes are committed between March and October.

That would cover all the College & High School Spring Breaks and "First Weeks", Spring & Fall Bike Weeks, Spring and Fall Black Bike Weekends, and the other 10 million people that visit every summer.

There are probably ways to avoid some of the bad aspects - I understand there are some good 'unicorporated communities' like Carolina Forest, with their own schools, etc., that are probably very nice.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 178,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
Hello,

I'm planning on moving to outside the Myrtle Beach area and I have read on several threads about the crime rate being so high. Does anyone know a site I can get more info
Just do a Google search for "why is crime so high in Myrtle Beach" - I found many interesting posts/articles, etc.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:14 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,783,001 times
Thanks, I did find the info. I was looking for.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,639 times
Exclamation Myrtle beach crime

Yes, you are right... The crime here is very bad, and alot of crime is not reported. The Police are underpaid, and really don't spend much care or time trying to clean up Myrtle Beach. We had some people robbed and shot dead only 3 blocks away, the Police are only 7 blocks away. People are being robbed in the hotels and condos as we type this to you. DO NOT GO TO THE BEACH AT NIGHT!!! Sorry, but this is true. I will be moving soon, as you can see why.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,962,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickey_mb View Post
Yes, you are right... The crime here is very bad, and alot of crime is not reported. The Police are underpaid, and really don't spend much care or time trying to clean up Myrtle Beach. We had some people robbed and shot dead only 3 blocks away, the Police are only 7 blocks away. People are being robbed in the hotels and condos as we type this to you. DO NOT GO TO THE BEACH AT NIGHT!!! Sorry, but this is true. I will be moving soon, as you can see why.
Where do you live in Myrtle Beach? I've seen some not so nice areas.

Where are you headed? Who goes to the beach at night by themselves? or anywhere else for that matter. I know crime can happen anywhere at anytime but I do all I can not to make myself a target.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,998 times
hickey..

You said that the police were only seven blocks away. This puts you in, categorically, one of the least desirable areas of Myrtle Beach, near Dunbar and Carver streets. There is a LOT of Section 8 housing in that area... along with drugs and associated problems. The police are there ALL the time. I know. I have MANY friends and contacts in the various law enforcement agencies in Horry County, MBPD included.

For you to say that they do little to clean up the streets is an insult! I challenge you to do a ride along with an officer on ANY given day. Come back after a ride along and make the same comments! You won't. Trust me.

To say that ANY LEO is underpaid is an understatement. I'd hazard a guess to say that less than 1/4 of 1% of the folks who read these threads would risk their life day in and day out for what the average LEO makes...

I have gone for MANY walks on the beach at night over the last 16 years. I don't plan on stopping any time soon. There are some areas I feel more comfortable with than others, but this same feeling applies to anywhere in America..

I appreciate your 'thoughts' but, IMO, you are dramatically over exaggerating reality.

What part of the country might you be moving to, if I might ask?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM

75 posts, read 219,857 times
I have not seen or even heard much about the crime - this thread concerns me. When you talk about "high" crime is this specific to MB proper or the whole area from Little River to Murrells? We are seriously contemplating a 2nd home purchase in LR to NMB area. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 PM

29 posts, read 108,032 times
Kone,
My friend moved to LR about 4 years ago and is extremely happy. We will be breaking ground early next year in NMB. rrufast is absolutely right, anytime you live in the midst of section 8 aka as useless folks there will be crime.
I have two bumper stickers that read:
Work Harder Millions on Welfare Are Depending on you
and
Can't Feed 'em
Don't Breed 'em

Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,962,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys99 View Post
Kone,
My friend moved to LR about 4 years ago and is extremely happy. We will be breaking ground early next year in NMB. rrufast is absolutely right, anytime you live in the midst of section 8 aka as useless folks there will be crime.
I have two bumper stickers that read:
Work Harder Millions on Welfare Are Depending on you
and
Can't Feed 'em
Don't Breed 'em
OMG I wish I would have invented that bumper sticker. I don't see much crime written in the newspaper. Here and there but I've lived in Phoenix, I'm used to reading about shootings,rapist,car jackers the news is kind of on the boring side here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area