Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B44 View Post
thanks BigMike, that could be it. Was there ever a pub called Mumbles (or something like that) in that same area? I could be way off on the name, do remember i would walk out mumbling though
B44
Man your going way back There was a bar on the corner of Oceanside Rd and Davison Ave back in the 60's called The Cozy Corner Tavern. It's a gas station now but across the street which is Farmer Joel's was a cleaners back then. The bar changed names in the 70's but the name slips my mind....I bet this is the one your talking about. I'm going to be up all night thinking about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Man your going way back There was a bar on the corner of Oceanside Rd and Davison Ave back in the 60's called The Cozy Corner Tavern. It's a gas station now but across the street which is Farmer Joel's was a cleaners back then. The bar changed names in the 70's but the name slips my mind....I bet this is the one your talking about. I'm going to be up all night thinking about it
Speaking of popular Oceanside bars from the 60s, how about the Towne Tavern on Long Beach Road at Tilrose Ave? And Vic's Log Cabin right across the street? Towne was where all the kids hung out; and Vic's where all the old folks went.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 AM

15 posts, read 83,562 times
I worked at McDonalds through the early 70s, and our gang liked to go to a little bar on Woods Ave just off Lincoln, can't remember the name of it, maybe The Skipper? I recall they had a skittle bowling machine! Or we'd hang at Solomon Grundy's in RVC and play foosball.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
B44

5 posts, read 22,226 times
Big Mike - thanks again for that info. The place you describe could be it. My memory is kinda fuzzy (wonder why) but I do recall the laundromat and piza place were a couple/few doors apart in small strip mall. Pretty sure the bar was a free standing bldg out by the main road. Me and another guy used to run loads of tied-dyed kids clothes to laundromats all over oceanside/island park area to dry them, drop 'em back at factory for printing, re-load and do it all over again. Was actually a fun job for a 19-20 yr old college kid, on the road all day and free to do whatever. Used to hit drying spot down by the old OBI by Austin blvd also. Was a bar called Great Scott in a shopping center down that way. Used to drink beer with some girls that worked there during the day. Things will never br that good again :-(. I gotta ride by the area one of these days and see if I can find where the old haunts used to be
Thx again..B44

Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba73 View Post
I worked at McDonalds through the early 70s, and our gang liked to go to a little bar on Woods Ave just off Lincoln, can't remember the name of it, maybe The Skipper? I recall they had a skittle bowling machine! Or we'd hang at Solomon Grundy's in RVC and play foosball.

In the 70's there was a bar called Dick Shaw's on Woods Ave and Davis st might have changed names later on.

In 1978 down the block they built Alias Smith and Jones bar/rest. which is still there.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Yep, that's the place!

Dick Shaw's doesn't ring a bell, some things don't any more at my age. I also recall "fancy dining" with family at the Arbor Inn further down Woods Ave towards RVC, good roast beef. My grandfather loved seafood and liked to take us to Meyer & Kronke in Island Park (long gone) or East Point Inn in East Rockaway (it may still be there!).

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Sadly, I found out the East Point Inn was demolished in 2005. After the owner found out the village of ER was going to make it a historic site (it was also site of the first ER post office) he had it torn down without approval. Cappy's, a seafood shack next store was torched as well. What a shame!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba73 View Post
Dick Shaw's doesn't ring a bell, some things don't any more at my age. I also recall "fancy dining" with family at the Arbor Inn further down Woods Ave towards RVC, good roast beef. My grandfather loved seafood and liked to take us to Meyer & Kronke in Island Park (long gone) or East Point Inn in East Rockaway (it may still be there!).

I remember the day they tore down the Arbor Inn (what a shame) They managed to put in new street with like 8 over priced home before the market collapse.

It was always a choice for our family either East point Inn or the Ship's Inn. Since it was usually someone's birthday( we eat out like once a year) so we usually went to the Ship's Inn.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 11,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhouse3 View Post
On Atlantic Avenue-There was an A & P, a deli and Friendly Frost down across from the American Legion. On the corner of Atlantic and Bayside there was a real 7-Eleven. Open at 7 AM closed at 11 PM. They had everything you needed at double the price.

Over on Brower and Oceanside Road where Farmer Joels is today, there was a Dairy Queen and then it became a cleaners and then Country Valley Farms.
Across the street was Henry's Deli- I'm talking when Henry ran it. Minn's Candy Store, with Harry behind the counter serving up 16 cent cokes in the little cone shaped paper cup. Next to Charlies U-needa Meat market. Charlie and Joe the butchers.
The Brower Ave shopping center was still a wooded lot.
Peace Farm on Brower by Harold actually had chickens running around the farm stand.
I know there was a corner bar by Brower and Oceanside Road, but I actually can't say I remember it. I think it was located where the Gas station is now.

Marios Italian Restaurant corner of Merle and Oceanside
Long Island Building Supply was next to Dairy Barn.

Over on Foxhurst and Oceanside Road there were a couple of old houses and a group of cottages in the back. That was diagonal from the candy store, barber shop, Amber's Deli and there was a little model shop there back in the 70's. I also remember a whole in the fence where you could cut out of Merle Ave school get over to the candy and back to school.
School # 1, the original High School and it had a sunken Gym.

I remember at Mott Street and Oceanside Road there was a bunch of abandoned old buildings, my father remembers as a kid, going to a circus there and used to point out where the Elephants would knock the doorways out of whack.

South Nassau Hospital had a big circle driveway in the front and faced Oceanside Road.
Maple Grove where the Biggest Banana fruit store is now/corner L.B. Rd. and Henrietta.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM

Default I recall...

I recall at Atlantic and Bayside Ave. there was a car wash; I worked there for a whole two weeks when I turned 16 towel drying cars and then left to work at McDonald's through high school and summers home from college.

There was a Woolworth's, candy store, Chinese restaurant (Ho King), Italian restaurant (Gianni's) and H&I Jewish Deli in the shopping center across from McDonald's.

After the Washington's Birthday blizzard of '66 we hooked our sleds up to a neighbors snowmobile and rode up to the 7-11 on Lawson Blvd. to buy whatever milk, bread and TP was left! Schools were closed the whole week! That was one of the few times I can recall schools closed due to snow. The rule was if the buses could make it through the snow and up the hill on Lawson to Daly Blvd the schools were open. We eagerly waited for the 7am fire horns to sound more than two blasts to signal no school, but alas there were always two blasts and out to the bus stop we went!

Went to Boardman Elem/JHS and Treasure Island camp, before Oceanside Park was even a twinkle in someone's eye! Folz Vending was across from school where we'd get free Rat Finks if we asked nicely, plus it helped to know Mr. Folz!

Haven't been back in a while but I have fond memories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island