Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,515 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Bottle Cap Carnival that was held every year behind school #1 ( the original high school)? I remember collecting bottle caps all summer. I guess we were recycling long before it became popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 AM

7 posts, read 31,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhouse3 View Post
Starting from the South
Do you remember when they built TSS at Daily Blvd and Long Beach Road(Kohls). They had a pizzia store inside the lobby and across from it was a hot dog stand.
Heh, I got a nasty case of food poisoning from that pizza store when I was about 12 yrs old. But I used to love their pizza!

There was another food-stuffs counter on the other side. I'm thinking coffee/doughnuts type place but can't recall. When you enter the front door of TSS the pizza place was to the left and the other place was to the right.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 AM

177 posts, read 892,940 times
There was also a great little bookshop in the Genovese shopping center (back when it was a supermarket, not TJ Maxx) that was incredible. A real mom and pop type shop. It was the greatest, especially to a little kid!

At least some things haven't (completely) changed....Cedarhurst Paper is still there! It's more organized now that it being managed by different members of the same family who bought in, but it's still a wonderland and Jean is still behind the counter a few days a week. I worked there during HS around 85...and some of the same ladies still work there. You can go home again!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 7,481 times
Anyone on here know which side of Long Beach Road the American League of Little League is and which side is National League? Thanks.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,317 times
I went to Camp Allen and rode on those go-carts. Went to Bar-H, where I learned to swim. Remember Woolworths at the Lincoln Shopping Center? At the counter there were balloons. You selected one and the person behind the counter burst it to find a tiny slip of paper. Sometimes, hot fudge sundaes were 99 cents- but if it was your lucky day... 1 cent sundae!!!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,281 times
I'm not sure if anyone is still on this blog however, I grew up on LI (Ronkonkama) and I have an old sleeping bag w/ the name Morsans on it. It belonged to my father. He passed away about 4 years ago and I found the sleeping bag. I'm a fireman in AZ and I sleep in it while at the fire house. It still smells like my dad......mothballs.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:49 PM

85 posts, read 315,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Go back a little further before there was a Daly Blvd; Lawson Blvd ended somewhere around Montgomery Ave into a vacant lot.

Lincoln Shopping Center also had the shoe store next to Woolworths and the kosher bakery. And how about when Dee's nursery was nothing more than a small shop?

St. Anthony's Church had the "underground" chapel which brought busloads of people to visit; destroyed by fire in the early 60's.

In lincon shopping center there was also a Drug store.... dam I forgot the name.... and a fine mens clothing store with nicely done windows...

Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 PM

85 posts, read 315,154 times
Also... The Huge carnival they had behind TSS... There was also a huge protest were everybody lined the streets of Long Beach Rd including myself with my mom, to close the oceanside dump!!! lol.... I forget what Ruby Tuesday's used to be way back in the days, I think it was Pizza Box... They had a sick arcade and I remember big furry mascots... I was so young.. probably like 3-5... NYSC was Oceanside Bowling alley... sucks they closed that down... There was also car racing in freeport way back...

Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 AM

33 posts, read 161,935 times
Does anyone remember a toy store in Oceanside named Park and Shop. I think it was on Long Beach Road on the opposite side of the street from Nathan's.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:51 AM

33 posts, read 161,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
Also... The Huge carnival they had behind TSS... There was also a huge protest were everybody lined the streets of Long Beach Rd including myself with my mom, to close the oceanside dump!!! lol.... I forget what Ruby Tuesday's used to be way back in the days, I think it was Pizza Box... They had a sick arcade and I remember big furry mascots... I was so young.. probably like 3-5... NYSC was Oceanside Bowling alley... sucks they closed that down... There was also car racing in freeport way back...
Ruby Tuesday's was "THE TEXAS RANGER".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island