Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM

12 posts, read 75,066 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Georgia. My husband will be working in Manhattan (midtown east). We have three children - 8,4, and 1. We are looking for good public schools, an area that offers a quaint and fun atmosphere for families, and an acceptable commute into the city for work. Living in the suburbs of Atlanta, my husband has dealt with considerable traffic and unpredictable commute times (driving). Can anyone offer thoughts on the Oceanside area? We are looking to rent for about 2 years and then buy if we find that we like the area. What are the schools, town, beaches like? Thanks!

If comparing - Northport/Centerport or Oceanside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
Can anyone offer thoughts on the Oceanside area?

For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside:

Oceanside is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the south part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Oceanside in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Rockville Centre; on the east by the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor; on the south by the Hamlet of Barnum Island; and, on the west by the Village of Hewlett Bay Park and the Village of East Rockaway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Oceanside-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Oceanside has a different border than does the "Oceanside, NY 11572" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and a place can be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and have other than an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address): there are places in the Hamlet of Oceanside that have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM

40 posts, read 196,326 times
Default ocenaside

I live in south Rockville Centre but feel like I am basically in Oceanside. I do my shopping there and my kids will go to that school district. I love the beach and being 5 min away is wonderful. I commute into Manhattan by train. The commute is fine for me; I am at work 50 min after leaving my home (that includes driving to station and walking) The school district is quite good and it is a convenient area...and the neighboring towns also have great restaurants and nice parks/pools.

My husband is from Centerport...it is a beautiful town. Both Oceanside and the Centerport areas are nice but different. Oceanside is south shore, flat and has access to the ocean. Centerport is north shore, hilly and has access to the Long Island Sound. I think Oceanside feels more crowded while Centerport seems a bit more tucked away. I am not sure about the school zoning in Centerport but I would think the schools are all pretty good. My DH went to Harborfields High which is one of the best. The commute into Manhattan is a a little longer than O'side...probably by 20 min.

Good luck in whichever area you choose!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 29,781 times
To the previous poster, I went to Centerport and it was definately tucked away. Which one would you prefer to live in Centerport ot Oceanside?

Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Centerport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jway View Post
To the previous poster, I went to Centerport and it was definately tucked away.

For those who may not be familiar with Centerport:

Centerport is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Centerport in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Bay; on the east by Northport Harbor, the Village of Northport and the Hamlet of East Northport; on the south by the Hamlet of Greenlawn; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Huntington.

The Hamlet of Centerport has a different border than does the "Centerport, NY 11721" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have other than a "Centerport, NY 11721" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Centerport): there are places in the Hamlet of Centerport with a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM

40 posts, read 196,326 times
I love Centerport and would love to live there but would miss the ocean beach too much. (I know it's only 20 min away but still....)

I also prefer living closer to NYC so Oceanside still wins for me.

If it came down purely to a pretty place, I would choose Centerport!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
IMO, Center port wions hands down.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 PM

137 posts, read 744,453 times
Default Quaint? NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
I am relocating from Georgia. My husband will be working in Manhattan (midtown east). We have three children - 8,4, and 1. We are looking for good public schools, an area that offers a quaint and fun atmosphere for families, and an acceptable commute into the city for work. Living in the suburbs of Atlanta, my husband has dealt with considerable traffic and unpredictable commute times (driving). Can anyone offer thoughts on the Oceanside area? We are looking to rent for about 2 years and then buy if we find that we like the area. What are the schools, town, beaches like? Thanks!

If comparing - Northport/Centerport or Oceanside?
Ive lived most of my life in Oceanside. (44+ years) It is far from quiant. The schools are excellent. (I graduated from OHS myself.)The communte to NYC is a snap. Traffic is horrible. It sometimes takes 20 minutes to drive from one side of town to the other. Beach is close. Nice too...for the most part. Housing is expensive, taxes are outrageous. Lots of shopping and fast food. Not much as far as "better" restaurants.
All in all, I think its a good choice.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 AM

12 posts, read 75,066 times
Okay - between Oceanside/Centerport/Babylon?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
1) Centerport
2) Babylon
3) Oceanside

I'm not sure of Babylon schools...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island