Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 PM

428 posts, read 970,499 times

Advertisements

I’m new to knowing Oceanside, but for you locals – I LOOOOVE your town with all my heart! I’m born and raised in Miami, and when I moved to NY and worked in Manhattan all day, I fell in love with the relaxation of the 'burbs. Specifically Oceanside, East Rockaway, Rockville Centre. I have a soft spot for those three. I just love Oceanside – I go to NY sports club and head down to Ihop, TJ Maxx, Michaels, Trader Joes, Whistle Stop bakery. Love it all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM

654 posts, read 2,121,534 times
What is a Rat Fink?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer99 View Post
Need to get out more.
Quite the opposite. Tired of being in the busy city with tons of people all the time. I'm out TOO much hence why I like towns like yours

Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM

852 posts, read 1,444,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I’m new to knowing Oceanside, but for you locals – I LOOOOVE your town with all my heart! I’m born and raised in Miami, and when I moved to NY and worked in Manhattan all day, I fell in love with the relaxation of the 'burbs. Specifically Oceanside, East Rockaway, Rockville Centre. I have a soft spot for those three. I just love Oceanside – I go to NY sports club and head down to Ihop, TJ Maxx, Michaels, Trader Joes, Whistle Stop bakery. Love it all
Indulging in bath salts?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Indulging in bath salts?
Lol! Yep! Why, you all don't like Oceanside?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer99 View Post
Well i didin"t know you were comparing it to the city in that aspect i agree with you.
Definitely. I'm there all day every day. Glad to get away from that each and every weekend. I crave boredom sometimes

Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 AM

15 posts, read 83,893 times
A Rat Fink was a gumball machine charm. We used to put them on keychains.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,076 times
Default Long Beach Road memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhouse3 View Post
Starting from the South
Do you remember when they built TSS at Daily Blvd and Long Beach Road(Kohls). They had a pizzia store inside the lobby and across from it was a hot dog stand.
Across Long Beach Road was the dumps, which they put up that 6 foot fence to hide it.
There was an Arby's at Long Beach and Mott St. (East Bay Diner)
C&J Bowl at Weidner and Long Beach Rd (Burger King)
Nathan's had the entire property where that whole shopping center is now. They had the rides outside. Wednesday Nights Pro Fottball players would come by.
Capri Pizzia "You ring we bring" VW's with the Chef Hats. (LB and Anchor)
Cummings Bar and Grill (Block Buster)
Pergaments (new bank)
Good Humor
There was an Esso Gas Station at Long Beach and Atlantic (1-800-Flowers)
McDonalds was red and white tile with just enough room to get in the door.
Lincoln Shopping Center: Ho-King, Gianni's, Food Fair, Woolworths, the lotto store with the same tired guy behind the counter.
John's Bargain Store was located at Long Beach and Smith Street
Smiles was where Vanellas Funeral Home is
Harts Pharmacy was across the street
Chawatsky's (Walgreens)
Pissetti's
Bohacks where Cedarhurst Paper is.
Messler's Hardware- the guy knew where every screw was.
Vic's Log Cabin
Faces (Long Beach and Homecrest)
Big Apple Supermarket (the old Foodtown)
Farmer Joels
Little Oil Company (later it became Tobacco Town)
Al's Mobil Gas on the corner
Kodak Photos (across from Towers)
Oceanside Laundry (where you had to drive in a long driveway around the parking lot.
Tell me what I missed? I also remember a Fly A Gas Station up on Foxhurst by Westlake.

I'm older than you, obviously. My parents and their generation used to go dancing at the Roadside Rest, a fast food place and novelty of the time which later became Nathan's. A short distance west of there was a small place where I did my first horseback riding (bigger than ponies). Going eastward, my whole family loved to eat at Rudy's Fish and chips, when we spent many summers at our family place in Long Beach, in its glorious years.

Last edited by mikewriter; 11-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Left something out

Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,076 times
P.S. The Roadside Rest had a stage and big band music was played there in the 1940s. Further east, in Oceanside, was a string of very popular restaurants. Two that I recall were Cab Callaways and The Texas Ranger (both not far from Rudy's Fish and Chips). Then, just over the bridge in Long Beach was the cleverly named Custard's Last Stand.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM

15 posts, read 83,893 times
Default I remember all of these!

Lived there from '63 until '77 when I relocated to DC and my folks followed a few years later. I haven't been back in ages, sad to hear some of the old landmarks have changed faces. I recall my mother taking me to Chwatzky's for nice clothes and those awesome blue and gold Oceanside Physical Education t-shirts and shorts for gym class. I had my first Big Mac wrapped in foil at the then walk-in only Mickey D's and ended up working there during high school. I also worked at the car wash on Atlantic and Terrell Ave. The Texas Ranger was great bbq for locals. There was a great fish restaurant called Meyer & Kroncke's just down from Texas Ranger which our family enjoyed. The pizza place at TSS had very good pizza! I do recall the old stucco Nathan's before they moved it to build the shopping center and the theatre area in back where they had variety shows. May come back for a visit sometime to see the new Oceanside 35 years later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island